mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#185612 11/09/07 11:43 PM
J
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
J
I run mIRC and i leave it running in the tray. Sometimes I'll come back and find that the tray icon is gone. I look in my Task Manager and mirc.exe is still running, I open another mIRC and i can see the other copy's user sitting there, responsive... but I can't reopen that first copy of mIRC and i have to end the task.

Whats the deal with that? Is there any way to get it back?
Can you include an option like WinAMP has where it only allows one copy to be run, so if you try to run it again, it brings the first one to the foreground?

Thanks

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
If you can see mIRC running in the Applications tab of Windows Task Manager, then you should be able to use the Switch To button

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You may have the "hide inactive icons" option turned on in Windows and it's hiding the mIRC icon. If this is the case, try clicking the arrow button on the left side of the tray and see if you find mIRC there.

Other than that, there are times when Windows refreshes itself after Explorer crashes and reloads and half of your tray icons end up missing. There isn't much to do about that except close and reopen the affected applications.

Those should be the only times that your tray icon disappears.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
F
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
F
Hey JDHannan, I have a similar problem!

mIRC does not appear in the "Applications" tab, has disappeared from the tray, but is still shown as a running process and is still connected to any IRC networks you may have left it connected to.

The way I usually solve this is by using a free application called "Process Explorer" by SysInternals.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processexplorer.mspx

If you find the mIRC process in this application, then Right Click and select from the menu: "Window > Bring to Front" it should make it appear again!

I don't know if there's a simpler way to to this, but good luck!

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: forgetful
mIRC does not appear in the "Applications" tab

Only applications that are on your taskbar (not the tray or hidden) will appear in the Applications tab of the Task Manager.

Invision Support
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
If you have enabled chat links (Options > IRC > Catcher: chatlinks [x] Enable support, and [x] Confirm requests) you can go to Start/Run and type in "irc://anything" (no quotes), mIRC should pop up to ask for confirmation (obviously you'd choose Cancel here). You could even make a shortcut that does it.

J
OP Offline
J
deege>
You're the man. I think this works.
Hopefully itll work the next time it disappears!

Last edited by JDHannan; 14/09/07 03:47 AM.
J
OP Offline
J
Okay, after a couple months of dealing with this using this irc:// method
which does work
its just getting stupid
i've narrowed the problem down to it occurring when i remote to my computer
it *may* have something to do with me having dual monitors as well... possibly something is trying to move mirc to the single monitor of a remote desktop...
after i remote to my computer, when i come back to it, the mirc password box will be sitting there, and if i put my password in or not, it goes away and mirc does not appear
what is the deal with this?

J
OP Offline
J
so, if this is going to pass through here without an answer, whats my next option? Who do i tell that mIRC is experiencing this weird bug?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you feel it's a bug, post it in the bugs forum. I think it's a rare occurence that you're describing, so the chances of someone else here being able to duplicate it may be slim. That's probably why you're not getting any replies.

Invision Support

Link Copied to Clipboard