mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
E
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
E
Hey all, I've been recommended as a chanop on a network I reg on, and I'm pretty sure I know all the commands etc.. but I need to make sure, can someone list some questions and answers they may ask me in order to get my chanops.

K
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
K
well I have a question but I don't know if this will help you at all <Want to know how to add avtar to profile> I know your going to say something like paste a url where it indicates to do so. But hey listen! I've done that and it doesn't work only gives out an err message. So how do I put an avtar image saved on disk pasted next to my profile name so whe i post you dont see " ".

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
why did you respond to this thread if it has nothing to do with the topic?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
The number of possibiities is almost endless, as chanops (and even non-chanops) are sometimes asked questions to which they have no knowledge.

A ChanOp (aka Channel Op, Op) only has access to commands for that particular channel.

They can grant access to ops (/mode #channel +o nick)
half-op (/mode #channel +h nick)
Voice (/mode #channel +v nick)

They can kick and/or ban people from the channel
/help /kick
/help /ban

More and more commonly, a person must have chanops in order to change the topic of the channel. (channel mode +t)

If there is a bot on the channel, then the bot may have special commands that are restricted to those that are opped. Depends on the scripting of the bot.

A couple of the most common questions that I find, as a chanop, are: How do I get Voice? and How do I get Ops?

The answer, for both of these, varies depending on the restrictions/requirements of the channel founder, if they have set any.

As a channel op, you do have fairly powerful access regarding the channel, so if you are granted that access, I hope that you won't abuse your power. I've seen that happen a few times with people that I've opped on channels where I was the founder, and had to use my founder access to overeride them.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
You have to use a URL to the image. You can't use an image that is stored on your hard drive.

If you're getting an error, please copy & paste the error message, and create a NEW topic in this forum, to report it.

S
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
S
The better way is to make a alliases , That can help you with much things.
Here a quistion for you:
How do i set a topic?

IceIRC.hopto.org -j #lobby<---- Join and make me happy
M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
best practice: learning by doing :-)
IMO, it's not enough for an op to know all the kick stuff. A good op should know what's happening behind the stage. A good op should know why this or that would work resp. would not work.
As for myself, after a futile search on the the web for a good tutorial/reference I did it this way:
- look for an irc-server that would allow multiple login with different nick names. the services should provide you with help information (not every server does it). Your can access this help by typing
/msg chanserv help [commands]
/msg nickserv help [commands]
/msg memoserv help [commands]

- login and register your nick
- register your own private test channel with
/msg chanserv channel password description
note that you must identify yourself as channel chan owner to get owner privileges:
/msg chanserv identify channel password
after having done this, you are the god of your channel. read the help offered by the server carefully and test everything. Register an second nick and add it to the channel access list as auto-op. Login with this nick & join your test channel. Open another mIRC instance and join the channel as normal user.
And now: just play around! Learn how to set modes (more e.g. here). Learn how to grant different rights and how to undo this. Try out different user masks when banning. And learn how to unban yourself after you have banned the bad guy using the host part in the user mask ;-)
When you think that you've got enough practice please don't forget to unregister the channel (/msg chanserv drop channel).

While doin this, please never forget the most important thing: a good cop should be able to deal with his gun perfectly. Everyone can learn such technical stuff. But a top cop should have the ability to de-escalate a conflict peacefully... I know... in many cases it's not possible ... wild wild west channels... ;-)
In addition, I'd like to underline the intent of sparta's posting (see below):
As an op, you don't deal with nicks but with real persons with all their intentions, feelings, hopes, and wishes. They are as real as you are. Never forget this.

Last edited by marco50; 09/09/07 11:43 AM.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
A good op should just be able to deal with people the same way as he/she do in IRL, i had many op in my channels that didnt have a clue about how many commands work in mirc, the main reason a op is added (atlest in my channels) is to take care of the users in the channels, i wouldent add someone that came to me and was an expert on mirc/the server and it's commands, but had no clue on how to behave and take care of the channels he/she are on, 1 good thing to think about tho, don't run to many protections. (auto script's) If you do you will force your users away from the channel instead of make them feel happy and let them have a good chat smile

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }

Link Copied to Clipboard