#184889 02/09/07 04:58 PM
B
bubazoo Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
B
I just registered my copy of mIRC.

I just have a question about it, now that I've registered, and activated my product, are there any limitations on formatting my hard drive and all that mess?

I'm just asking, because alot of software companies, who I won't mention names, you have to activate with an activation server, then when you reformat your HD, you can't ever activate the product again. Some places, allow you to send the registration hardware hash back to the registration server before the reformat, like itunes does for instance which is the way I prefer, or like some shareware authors, once you reformat your HD, your activation is lost forever which is what I don't care for, because I make it a habit to reformat my HD every 6 months or so to clean out all the junk that accumulates after so long.

mIRC doesn't have anything like that, do they?

because I don't mind a hardware hash thing so much, if there was a way to send the registration back to the registration server before the reformat, that wouldn't be so bad, but I don't like it when companies don't let you reformat your HD, or make you pay for it again only giving you 1 time to activate on the activation server er whatever.

I'm all for preventing piracy, after all if I was a programmer I'd want to get paid for my work too, but not at the expense of the users convenience. smile After all, something like not allowing a reformat of the HD, for example, is bad business practice, because something like that only pisses people off encouraging more users to pirate illegal software, then the business goes right down the toilet fast. at least is how I look at it, because to be quite honest and fair, nothing is hacker proof, we all know that, but I think the secret to encouraging users to register, and not pirate, is to keep prices reasonable and activation procedures flexible smile

I am legally blind. I don't mind talking about it, but please, no negativity. thank you.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Quote:

mIRC doesn't have anything like that, do they?

No. Basically the only thing activation does when you enter your registration info is verify the name and registration code. As stated here, once you've registered, you're registered for life.

Originally Posted By: mIRC FAQ

Once you registered one version of mIRC, you're allowed to use all future versions for free!

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
You can re-use your registration details, just write them down for safe keeping incase you need to reformat.

B
bubazoo Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
B
thats cool, thanks guys smile

now see, this is what I'm talking about, simple, this makes me prowd to be a registered member smile

I am legally blind. I don't mind talking about it, but please, no negativity. thank you.

Link Copied to Clipboard