Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Mentality #183923 23/08/07 07:53 PM
E
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
E
Originally Posted By: Mentality
I don't regularly use any other chat program, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but do any other chat clients have spell checkers? I don't think they do. "Word centric" programs such as Firefox and MS Word have spell checkers because when you type documents in those programs you're probably meant to be spelling things correctly (e.g. forum posts, wikipedia entries). However, the very nature of "chat" on the Internet means words are often not spelled correctly. In fact they are often severely distorted! So Firefox might have a spell checker, but Chatzilla doesn't. MS Word does, but Windows Live Messenger doesn't (afaik).

If you want to type correctly then feel free (I certainly do), but the point of a spell checker is to prevent embarrassing or silly mistakes in documents intended for an audience that might actually care. Also it helps prevent irreversible mistakes - once you've sent that email you can't correct the typo. Once you've printed off that document and posted it, you can't get it out of the mailbox. Making a typo on IRC doesn't matter, is not embarrassing, and the "live" nature of it means you can simply correct your mistake on the next line. Er go, I don't think mIRC is an appropriate program to include a spell checker with.

Regards,

X-Chat has one.

huma_ #183977 24/08/07 04:58 AM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
aspell is out of the question, it's under GPL

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLInProprietarySystem

UltraEdit really uses aspell? In that case, you can demand the source code for their product-- go now.

That also leaves out many other libraries as well. If you know any good proprietary ones, let Khaled know, and maybe he'll find it cost effective to implement.

--but it really all comes back to the fact that many people of many many cultures use mIRC, meaning whatever library chosen would have to support many of those languages to be worthwhile to the userbase as a whole. It would be greedy of you to make a feature request that only the English speaking community can reap the benefits of. And while its likely that there exists such a library that supports many of those languages-- the library would then have to start being packaged with mirc, including all of the language packs, significantly increasing the download and install size-- for what? to know when you mistyped 'thier' in an IRC chatroom full of people typing things like "u r here 2 lol!"? Doesn't sound all that worthwhile to me. How many people even type full proper sentences on IRC to begin with? How can any library keep up with the multitude of IRC acronyms that exist, in every language and flavour.. what will it do about blatant punctuation? Really-- IRC is NOT a medium for proper spelling.

I urge everyone to do a little experiment of their own:

Look at (some of) the active IRC channels you log onto regularly. Count how many times you see a non-English (if you speak another language, replace English with your language) word in a line of text. Include all nickname references, abbreviations, acronyms, (most) URLs, and spelling mistakes both intentional and unintentional in your stats. Sum up the total number of invalid "words" and divide by the number of lines you counted. This won't work for all channels, but it will probably illustrate how much of IRC isn't even <insert-your-language-here>. May make you think twice about what purpose spell checking would really serve

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
argv0 #183992 24/08/07 10:17 AM
Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: argv0
aspell is out of the question, it's under GPL

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLInProprietarySystem

UltraEdit really uses aspell? In that case, you can demand the source code for their product-- go now.

aspell is LGPL not GPL, so that doesn't apply, and it could be used with mIRC as well for that reason (in the form of a DLL).

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
Sat #190532 22/11/07 04:50 AM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
I have spellchecker in almost every application.

Mozilla Thunderbird and Mozilla Firefox:
have a very good way to deal with spell checking. Inside a right click menu you can chose the language for each window or mail. Thought the right click menu you can also enable and disable this status. If you download the English version of Thunderbird/Firefox then you get the English dictionary by default, with German vice versa. However, you can download any distribution and still download and install new dictionary's easy thought addons.

Pidgin (before known as Gaim):
a popular multi protocol instant messenger can also support spell checking if you install aspell.

So far about the Open Source (GPL) programs.

Opera:
a well known browser also supports spell checking, you just need to download aspell yourself. Opera is Closed Source and proprietary and it`s still no problem to download aspell yourself, them prepared everything you need.

Every of this application works very well. When you write a wrong word then it is underlined red, you click right on it and choose the correct word.

And... It does not lag and it`s not slow. So that "that would hang mirc" is really really really out of the window.

So far about the technical possibility's.

Is there some third party script out which implements spell checking? I would really need that for mirc.

bwuser #190561 22/11/07 05:47 PM
L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
A spell check script should be customly done by the individual.

In other words, there really shouldn't be a public 1 for all to use, as it wouldn't satisfy everyone's needs.

Just make your own on input event.

I made my own "grammar" script. As well as short cut.

Examples: u = you, ur = your, dunno = don't know, gimme = give me.

And add stuff like contractions.

wouldnt = wouldn't

And make contractions expand.

wouldn't = would not.

And responds to case sensitivity.

This is to make me type faster.

In other words: i r an idiot comes out to I am an idiot.

But I still think an on input event is all you need.

My 3 cents.

-Neal.

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
Do you know the spell checker integrated inside firefox 2.x? I am currently using it, you see I write most words in English right but it does not have grammar fixing at all. smile

Here is some example screenshot for you.
http://www.yugatech.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/spell-check.gif

Please try firefox and test this thing yourself.

This spell checker is very good and technically it should be possible to use it for the line in mirc where you enter your text. Just need red underlining for wrong words and a right click menu.

No software fits the needs of everyone at all. But it this the reason not to publish any software and to say program it yourself? wink

bwuser #190687 24/11/07 11:14 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I think integrating a red-line spellchecker to the edit box would be a bit difficult (the line, not the spellchecker). And depending on a person's color choice for the edit box, it may not even be visible. Also keep in mind that mIRC's used by people all around the world and including dictionaries for multiple languages would be pointless, while just including an English one would be a bad idea as well.

I have to say that I think spellchecking would be best done as a script than as a built-in option in mIRC. With only a one-line edit box (most people don't use multi-line) and considering that chatting isn't meant to be perfect grammar and spelling, I really don't see any reason why it should be added.

Of course, if people could spell, there'd be no need for a spell checker. wink

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Riamus2 #190706 24/11/07 06:00 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
Also keep in mind that mIRC's used by people all around the world and including dictionaries for multiple languages would be pointless, while just including an English one would be a bad idea as well.

You can just use the same system like opera/firefox do. Aspell...

With firefox you can easy download a dictionary for your own language as a addon.

I think a spell checker can not be done by a script because scripts are to slow. It need to be hardcoded. Also no good idea to reinvert the wheel because there exist already toolkits which work proven very well.

Miyuki #190771 25/11/07 11:28 PM
T
TRT Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
T
I've once written my own just too see if it was possible.

http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spellsa2.jpg

Coloring is done with rtf codes (multibyte editbox) and spell checking library is http://hunspell.sourceforge.net/ .

Biggles #214487 05/08/09 09:47 AM
S
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
S
Originally Posted By: Biggles
I would like to add my support for this suggestion. Ever since Firefox recently added a spellchecker, I have gotten used to it, and it's annoying that mIRC doesn't have one - the absence is noticed.

I've tried to make a DLL based on Aspell, this is no easy task which is why nobody has done it. It's one thing to get the spell checking right, it's another thing to have it underlined with a squiggly red line in the editbox. And then there is the issue of adding a context menu for suggested spelling corrections.

Spell checking is a natural feature for a text centric program. I would encourage khaled, if he is interested (or anyone who is capable of making a DLL), to take a look at Aspell, it's an open source library.

Very well put. I add my support too. I can't think of a single good* reason against implementing this if there is an option to turn it off.

It wouldn't slow things down & just saying that people should learn to type is like saying that people shouldn't wear seat belts because they shouldn't crash. You could even argue it should be there for an accessibility standpoint - how about helping dyslexic people for example?

fwiw I'm considering switching to pidgin because I've found the spell check so useful.

* This dosen't include any of the (anti) reasons I've read in existing threads.

Last edited by Spiny; 05/08/09 09:48 AM.

Cheers smile
Spiny
TRT #214489 05/08/09 10:25 AM
E
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
E
Nice stuff, share it?

- Excalibur
- Good and Evil, there never is one without the other.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard