Print Thread
#183620 21/08/07 10:44 AM
C
cygnusx Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
C
Maybe this is not the appropriate place for my question,it's IRC related,not mIRC related but anyway...I'm developing IRC client(not mIRC script) and need to know something for channel modes."+i" in some networks means "invite only channel",but in other network can be something else.This is ridiculous.I have a window in my application which shows information for the channel - modes,topic,bla bla bla....and depending on the reply code i can inform the user what the mode is.For example,if channel mode(get that from numeric reply 324) contains "i" inform the user that channel is invite only.Why there are no universal characters for modes,why in some networks they means something else?

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
+i is, as far as I have seen, universally accepted as invite only. For users it is 'invisible mode'. Any network which has redefined it is not following correct protocol.

Other modes not mentioned in the RFC are subject to the ircd developers' own opinions. +r/+R being one example. +r on an Undernet channel means registered users only may join, whereas it's +R on DALnet. I would imagine this is partly why mIRC would never be able to make an arbitrary Channel Central screen with different check boxes based on the RAW reply for channel modes, as the different letters could mean different things on different networks. It can only include the basic channel modes outlined in RFC1459 which all ircds should adhere to.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Keep in mind that modes are case sensitive, +i is different from +I, I can't recall ever seeing a network straying from the standard meanings for the biklmnopstv channel modes.

~ Edit ~

As long as it's been around, +I has always meant 'Invite Exempt' meaning a user can join an invite-only (+i) channel. That and +e (ban exempt) have remained pretty much standard across all networks that support them as far as I have witnessed, so Khaled added support for those in Channel Central a few years back. Whether or not they have remained standard only because mIRC supports them as Invite Exempt and Ban Exempt, I don't know.

C
cygnusx Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
C
My question was not particularly for "+i" mode,it was about all modes.Ok,i'll give you example.In channel #Linux on freenode.net mode is "+mtincPf".But when i click in the channel(in mIRC) to see the channel info only "only ops set topic" and "no external messages" checkbox-es are checked.Why?Ok,there are some special modes on the different servers,but i want to know which of them are universal,for all networks.There is nothing about this topic in the RFC 2812,just explanation on some modes,but not for all of them.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
My original post answers what you just said.

"Other modes not mentioned in the RFC are subject to the ircd developers' own opinions. +r/+R being one example. +r on an Undernet channel means registered users only may join, whereas it's +R on DALnet. I would imagine this is partly why mIRC would never be able to make an arbitrary Channel Central screen with different check boxes based on the RAW reply for channel modes, as the different letters could mean different things on different networks."

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
C
cygnusx Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
C
OK,this is the example i gave you - "+mtincPf".AFAIK "m","t","n" and "i" are universal,right?Sorry if i'm wrong but this info is from HERE.Then why in mIRC only "only ops set topic" and "no external messages" checkboxes are checked in #Linux at freenode.net?I don't care specifically for this channel,that's just example.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
They are checked by default because they are the most sensible modes to have to prevent easy abuse. +m and +i are not checked by default, but they do appear in the Channel Central dialog along with +p, +s, +k and +l. It is not mIRC that sets these modes by default, and it's up to the channel operators to disable or enable whatever modes they wish.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I believe he's saying that +imnt is set on that channel but only +nt are checked in channel central and not +im are not checked and should be.

~ Edit ~

cygnusx
I joined freenode.net and tried it and everything seemed to be working as it should.

Also, when I attempted to join #Linux, the channel was full so I was automatically forwarded to ##Linux where modes i and m were not set. Is it possible that you were actually on ##Linux but you were checking the set channel modes for #Linux?

C
cygnusx Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
C
Quote:

I believe he's saying that +imnt is set on that channel but only +nt are checked in channel central and not +im are not checked and should be.

Exactly...

Quote:

Also, when I attempted to join #Linux, the channel was full so I was automatically forwarded to ##Linux where modes i and m were not set. Is it possible that you were actually on ##Linux but you were checking the set channel modes for #Linux?

Yeah,that was the problem,i didn't noticed that i'm forwarded to ##Linux.Thanks.

Link Copied to Clipboard