#183025 17/08/07 01:19 PM
W
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
W
would be nice if option to mirc would be added
so user can set his default path.

forcing users to have mircdir set to C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\mIRC\ is plain retarded

especialy for non vista ones...

The harder I chase my dreams the more I experience the time for smiles and tears...
WideOpenSpace #183027 17/08/07 01:23 PM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
From versions.txt

20. For Vista compatibility, new installations of mIRC now save all
settings in the User's "Application Data\mIRC" folder by default.

However, if the installer or mIRC find mirc.ini in the same folder
as mirc.exe they will use the mirc.exe folder for all settings.

Users installing over an old version of mIRC should therefore see
no change in behaviour.

The installer is now also aware of administrator and standard user
accounts and installs mIRC accordingly.

WideOpenSpace #183029 17/08/07 01:23 PM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Nothing like reading the docs thoroughly eh laugh

RoCk #183030 17/08/07 01:24 PM
W
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
W
that doesnt justify this forced behaviour

what if i dont want to update over old, but just
dump the new mirc in another folder ?

Last edited by WideOpenSpace; 17/08/07 01:25 PM.

The harder I chase my dreams the more I experience the time for smiles and tears...
WideOpenSpace #183031 17/08/07 01:26 PM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Then create a blank mirc.ini file in the folder you're going to install mIRC in.

WideOpenSpace #183034 17/08/07 01:31 PM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I could see this being an option in the installer, to force use of the selected installation folder for settings.

WideOpenSpace #183050 17/08/07 02:13 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
This is the recommended behaviour for all programs on multi-user systems (ie. everything since Win95/98/ME) and up until now mIRC been going against best-practice in leaving settings in the installation directory. What happens if someone on a Limited User Account wants to use mIRC? You think they should be forced to use the administrator's settings with no way to change them? What about multiple administrator accounts, should they all be forced to use the same settings?

Just about every program released in the last 6 years uses the User's Directory for storing settings, how many others have you called "retarded"? mIRC is now using the correct directories for all relevant data and that is a very good thing for anyone who even remotely cares about security or multi-user functionality.

You were moaning about mIRC's lack of support for Vista and now that it supports it fully (plus XP, 2000, and NT) you're still complaining because of the changes made to facilitate that! Unbelievable.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
W
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
W
no i didnt moan on mirc support for vista, others did i just supported their statements.

i am moaning on forced things that have no optional possiblity
for choosing would user like the new setting or would like to stay on standard that was used until now.

and truely using mirc.ini as "workaround" is not good.

WideOpenSpace #183081 17/08/07 05:00 PM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
If you install over an old installation, then nothing will change and your mIRC settings will stay where they always have been. It's only brand-new installations that will use the application data folder.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me!

WideOpenSpace #183092 17/08/07 05:36 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
For new users why give them the option of either setting up so that all users must use the same settings or setting up so that all users have their own settings? The first option is useless.

For those that have some pathological need for awkwardness then the mirc.ini trick exists to fool mIRC into thinking it is an upgrade of an old-style installation. I don't see why mIRC must always provide option after option whenever something changes even if the old way of doing things has no benefits over the new. Why must mIRC meet every user's unreasonable and impractical demands which no-one would even think to demand from any other peice of software.

Running your settings from the installation directory is bad practice, period. The upgrade functionality exists so that existing installations aren't broken by the upgrade, but there's no reason why mIRC should continue to support that bad practice by providing a GUI option - something that would "legitimise" the installation directory method in the eyes of many short-sighted users, whereas if the option weren't there they'd use mIRC happily without ever thinking twice about it.

If you're running as a single user on a machine then it doesn't matter one iota where the settings are kept. If you're running mIRC with multiple users then do you really think everyone wants to use the same settings and scripts and that everyone should have the same access and privileges on the computer to achieve it? Even if by magic all the users wanted to run the same script with the same settings all they need to do is use mIRC's command-line switches on their shortcuts to make mIRC use settings from a folder which all users can access, or you can use the mirc.ini trick when installing as people have stated.

So, why is any of that unreasonable?

W
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
W
you are insane

S
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
S
Having everything related to mIRC in the same directory is convenient for me. It makes for easy backups, and I can see an 'overview' of all the files I have relating to mIRC, since they're all there in that folder. It may be bad practise on multiuser systems but the fact is I'm not on a multiuser system.

Secondly, if you install mIRC two times they will both share the same settings in %appdata%. *this* is retarded, I have several mIRC installations for different things and now if I ever decide to make more I need to create a mirc.ini file in each dir which is an added hassle. Having an option in the installer would be a *good* thing.

Thirdly if I ever install mirc on someone else's PC just to use temporarily I will need to delete the files in both Program Files\mIRC *and* %appdata%\mIRC which is even more of a hassle. Especially since I may forget about the existence of %appdata%\mIRC which would keep incriminating logfiles seeing as mIRC logs by default.

Last edited by segosu; 17/08/07 09:37 PM.
segosu #183119 17/08/07 10:41 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
For your thridly, put mIRC on a USB stick, and run it as -portable. Don't have to install it everywhere you go.

Bekar #183123 17/08/07 10:51 PM
S
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
S
Yes I know that (and I do it) but I don't always have a USB stick wherever I go.

segosu #183124 17/08/07 10:53 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
Well, get one that attaches to your keyring.. wink

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
i think you misunderstood what he means, personnaly i agree with what he said.
Some users haven't Vista and Some users haven't several accounts (administrator or not) and in this case, users should be able to store data where they want.

I'm one of them of course but contrary to OP post, i tink create the empty folder with mirc.ini is a good workaround because you don't install mirc every days.

Edit : hum, i believed that

Last edited by Wims; 18/08/07 01:16 AM.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
WideOpenSpace #183141 18/08/07 01:06 AM
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
I'm not sure why this is such an issue for so many people.

mIRC will still function exactly as it did before.

As the majority of mIRC users simply install a single copy of mIRC (to the default location), connect to a server, join some channels, and chat to people, the new file locations are irrelevent to most users.

Anyone who needs their files to be in the same directory as mirc.exe are the minority and are considered a special/advanced case. Therefore, special/advanced/legacy support has been maintained for those who need it. Since these users are considered 'advanced' when compared to the average user, it is presumed that they are able to engage their brains to organize mIRC they way they need to suit their special situation.

All you have to do is create a blank mirc.ini in the installation directory and mIRC will automatically populate the blank mirc.ini file with the correct (default) data.

Changing a new mIRC installation to legacy behavior:
- Run mIRC
- Type: //write $qt($+($nofile($mircexe),mirc.ini)) $null
- Close mIRC
- Run mIRC

-genius_at_work

WideOpenSpace #183142 18/08/07 01:10 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
/help Command Line

Quote:

"C:\Program Files\mIRC\mirc.exe" -sUndernet

-r<path>

Sets the data path where mIRC saves mirc.ini as well as other files and data. If -r is specified without a path, the path is set to that of the mIRC executable.

You could always do: "C:\Program Files\mIRC\mirc.exe" -r

For now?

What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?
genius_at_work #183144 18/08/07 01:16 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: genius_at_work
Changing a new mIRC installation to legacy behavior:
- Run mIRC
- Type: //write $qt($+($nofile($mircexe),mirc.ini)) $null
- Close mIRC
- Run mIRC

Another method rather than a blank mirc.ini (before or after installation) is to just copy your files from the appdata folder to your mIRC folder after installing. The blank mirc.ini is faster, of course. I'm just offering another option.

I agree with genius_at_work. For the most part, only advanced users will care about where their settings files are stored. And they should know how to handle that situation without needing any special option in the installer. I always just upgrade anyhow, so it doesn't affect me. Well, I don't really upgrade... I install it to a temporary folder, then copy the files that I really need into my mIRC folders (mirc.exe, mirc.chm, and servers.ini).

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
segosu #183257 18/08/07 07:13 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
1) I don't see why backups are any harder in the new configuration. The backup situation is in fact much better because now everything worthwhile is in your user directory so you're not backing up unnecessary files (ie. the mIRC exe and help files) and if you're creating a backup of all your programs' settings then you only need to backup your user dir, not your user dir plus a special exception for your mIRC installation directory.

2) Why would you need to install mIRC more than once anyway? mIRC's -r command line switch allows you to have a single mIRC installation from which you can run multiple instances each using separate settings and scripts.

3) It seems like a rare situation where you would need to temporarily install mIRC on somebody else's machine, an even rarer situation where you would be given administrator access to do that. I certainly don't see why any log files you left would be incriminating, sounds like maybe people shouldn't be giving you admin rights on their machines! As others have said though, there are already multiple solutions to this problem:
- Use the -portable switch
- Use the mirc.ini trick
- Use the -r command-line switch when you run mIRC
- Install mIRC to "%APPDATA%\mIRC" so there's only one location to delete

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard