Print Thread
#181613 27/07/07 07:45 PM
W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
when trying to copy only one character with the mouse or with control + c, mirc doesn't copy the char in the clipboard,it's a little bit annoying :]

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Wims #181615 27/07/07 08:14 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I can't seem to confirm with ctrl + c but I can with the mouse.

mIRC 6.21.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I *think* I can re-produce both.

What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?
Wims #181621 27/07/07 09:03 PM
Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
It's intentional, preventing you from accidentally overwriting your clipboard (it's easy to click and select one character by accident).

/.timerQ 1 0 echo /.timerQ 1 0 $timer(Q).com
W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
Yes someone say that to me after i posted it here, but when you realy want to copy only one char, then it can be annoying, i think it should work when using control + c at least smile

Wims #181630 28/07/07 12:19 AM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
You can't CTRL+C from a window's text. You've never been able to.

Window-text copying has always been the highlighted text.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
You can't CTRL+C from a window's text. You've never been able to.

Ctrl+C when selecting seems deliberately set to behave as if the
user had released the mouse button.

Quote:
Yes someone say that to me after i posted it here, but when you realy want to copy only one char, then it can be annoying, i think it should work when using control + c at least

I agree.

W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
"You can't CTRL+C from a window's text. You've never been able to."

hum after some test, it appear that you're right smile

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Originally Posted By: Collective

as other people already said: CTRL+C does not work. it does appear to work because you have to use the mouse to select text and as soon as you release the mouse button the text is copied anyways, no matter if you use CTRL+C or not. if you hold CTRL while releasing the mouse button, colours are copied along with the text, which is the only function the CTRL key has here.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Originally Posted By: Doqnach
Originally Posted By: Collective

as other people already said: CTRL+C does not work. it does appear to work because you have to use the mouse to select text and as soon as you release the mouse button the text is copied anyways, no matter if you use CTRL+C or not. if you hold CTRL while releasing the mouse button, colours are copied along with the text, which is the only function the CTRL key has here.

You missed the point (although I'm not sure how). Selecting text and pressing, say, Ctrl+Y does nothing, but pressing Ctrl+C deselects the text and copies it to the clipboard. This is quite obviously deliberate behaviour and I'd like to see it modified to copy a single character, even if simply selecting a single character and releasing the mouse button does not.

Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Just to add, such functionality may be increasingly desirable with the introduction of UTF-8 support, which allows for languages that can represent whole words with a single character..

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
M
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
M

"I" is also a whole word in a single character but it doesn't make me want to copy it. In fact, I rather want not to, because I find it much more useful to be able to change my mind about copying something: by unmark down to one char. I guess ESC is just as simple, but you can't fight habit! :-) In such cases I just want to copy "I", I rather push "I" button. It kinda gives the same effect;-)

If copying a single char is motivated by the fact that some chars is not produceable by the keyboard, I don't see why copying two chars, paste it and delete the one you don't want, is not a sulution good enough.

Khaled, please don't make me have to change my habit about how I stop marking a text!

That said, it's not good coding practise to make a general marking tool that got an exeption for when there are cirtain amoung of chars marked. So you were a bad boy when you made this in the first place, Khaled. You're resposible for my bad habit! :-)

Conclusion: When mIRC doesn't copy a marked text when amoung of chars is one, should be considered a BUG!

Another thing. It would be nice if Khaled could add a char map for all possible chars sent on IRC that is not directly produced by a stadard keyboard key set, where it is possible to produce this char by clicking at it in this map. I'm thinking of something like what is popping up when ctrl + k is pressed. This is increasingly desirable now with UTF-8 support, and with this hook into Sats text, good night everyone.

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
I like it the way it is (not being able to copy a single character with just the highlight and release method), however hitting ctrl+c to do so could be quite useful for non english languages, utf-8, etc. (a single visual character in some languages is actually several physical characters on an english based keyboard)

Mulvarp, your post made almost no sense, you all but contradict yourself. And a charactor map can easily be found in your start menu under /accesseries/system tools/ or equivelent. I see no reason or advantage to integrating one into mirc (even most word processors dont do such a thing, with the exception of a few that are designed for ascii art)

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
Wims #182340 08/08/07 07:00 AM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Also, there are several addons out there who do what you request, e.g. this one here : it's listing chars and their ascii nums to a picwin, and it allows you to copy the num/char to your clipboard on click.

W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
In fact i just want to be able to copy one char because we're able to copy two char, i don't care about really copying only one char smile i just post this behavior because i thought it was a bug.
imo, would be great hold control when copying one char works

Wims #182396 08/08/07 09:11 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I occasionally need just one character (usually a symbol that I want to use when I don't know the ALT code and don't feel like looking it up). But with just copying two characters and pasting that, then deleting one, it's not really noticeably slower, imo. smile

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
Yes, just copying two characters works but when i post this suggestion, i imagine the case that you have no keyboard and want to chat nevertheless, but you can't use "control" to copy only one char if you don't have keyboard :\ so i beleive that when this case will happen i should copy two char wink.

Wims #182499 10/08/07 10:29 AM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
that or use the windows 'Onscreen Keyboard' found under accesibility options

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline