mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
TPC Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
T
in "options > connect > options > advanced" there is a checkbox called "Use random ports for listening sockets".

What exactly does this do, in detail? the reason that I want to know is that my schools firewall blocks irc, but if I check this option it works anyway. Maybe I can get my prog to work trought the firewall using this, so I need detailed info. so does anyone know a doc or something explaing this, or can write a short explanation?

-The Power Champion

Have a nice day!
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
If your school has blocked access to IRC, I doubt anyone here will help you get round it.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
T
TPC Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
T
They haven't blocked irc. its just that all ports are closed except port 80 and some others. and they won't open 6667 just because I want it.

And, I don't need help to get on irc. I CAN get on irc if i check the checkbox that I talked about. I just want to know how it works so I can do it in my own prog.

-The Power Champion

Have a nice day!
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
mIRC just picks a random local port for the TCP connection.

T
TPC Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
T
that wouldn't make it so it by-passes the firewall, it must do something else too.

-The Power Champion

Have a nice day!
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
The random local ports option makes mIRC use non-consecutive ports when creating sockets, this might help against DoS attacks trying to disable your server or dcc connections.

-Quote from mIRC help file

Link Copied to Clipboard