mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#182171 05/08/07 09:58 PM
B
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
B
A few friends and I(on a vanilla mirc) can't get our quit messages to change using /quit whatever OR changing it in options/irc/messages either. I can do it fine in the mirc i usually use though...

Whenever we quit it shows as (Quit: nickname) instead of a message.

The only thing I saw similar during a search is this thread.

can anyone else confirm this on a clean install?

btk

billythekid
W
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
W
are you in channel that has set mode which prevents changeing quit messages ?

The harder I chase my dreams the more I experience the time for smiles and tears...
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
How long are you waiting before disconnecting during your tests?

Many servers have a minumum connection time before they allow you to show a custom quit message.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
At least on unreal IRCD, before a custom quit can show up, you must have been connected a couple of minutes (I don't remeber the exact time period). The reason for this is to limit quit-msg abuse (spam).
Originally Posted By:
At least on unreal IRCD, before a custom quit can show up, you must have been connected a couple of minutes (I don't remeber the exact time period). The reason for this is to limit quit-msg abuse (spam).

Edit: the span can be set individually, but most likely, it has been set global for the entire net.

Quote from here : [quote
set::anti-spam-quit-message-time <timevalue>;
A time value specifying the length of time a user must be connected for before a /quit message will be displayed. Used to prevent spam.

B
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
B
thanks for all that, I had suspected it might be a server side thing for spam prevention, although i had stopped at nickserv identification. I'll bet that it's the IRCd.(it is unreal) we were probably testing too quickly.

thanks all.

btk

billythekid
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I do know that on Conference Room servers they have the option to suppress quit messages.

Link Copied to Clipboard