Print Thread
#87893 23/06/04 02:06 PM
C
Chrisi Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
C
Would be nice, if you make a new /echo switch, that makes it possible, that the echo is displayed in every channel or even in every window.

Gamers.IRC - The best way to use mIRC
#87894 10/07/04 12:10 PM
C
Chrisi Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
C
what do you think?

#87895 10/07/04 12:17 PM
W
Babel fish
Babel fish
W
could you not use a while loop, perhaps in an alias to do the same?
i think it is unlikely such switch is added.

wiebe #180934 15/07/07 12:12 PM
C
Chrisi Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
C
Yes, I could. But why does mIRC have commands like /ame and /amsg?

Chrisi #180944 15/07/07 02:45 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
He asked for "echo", not a msg to all channels wink and it's easy to make that in a while loop, so don't know if it's for any use. smile

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
Chrisi #180945 15/07/07 02:58 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Well both /ame and /amsg pre-date while loop support in mIRC scripting so it's not really much of a comparison. Plus there's a typing convenience factor for using those commands since they're expected to be used by a regular user rather than a scripter, whereas the /echo command is used primarily in scripts (after all, why would someone chatting use /echo from the editbox?).

Maybe it'll be added, maybe it won't. I'm just saying the existence of /amsg and /ame doesn't have any bearing on whether there should be a similar ability for /echo.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Originally Posted By: starbucks_mafia
(after all, why would someone chatting use /echo from the editbox?).

Ego boosts. /echo hello sexy

hixxy #180953 15/07/07 05:06 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
..says a lot about you *grin*

Mentality/Chris
Mentality #180954 15/07/07 05:07 PM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
I know you fancy me, but in this case treating me definitely won't keep me keen </3

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Originally Posted By: starbucks_mafia
(after all, why would someone chatting use /echo from the editbox?).

I do this all the time to echo information for use later or to echo something that i wish to say but not at that moment.

And of corse i am sure many, including myself, use it to echo results of identifiers that you wish to modify and repeat until the code if functioning as intended. (pressing tab means typing it all again, and doing it all in script editor means window switching and save save save and echo in the code etc).

I do not think i'd personally use the feature, be i can see certain situations in which an inline /aecho (or flag equivelent) would be useful, assuming what was being echo'd had the ability to evaluate differently for each window it echo'd to.

Of corse its very easily scriptable anyway.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
Chrisi #182029 03/08/07 05:21 PM
J
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
J
I also would like to see an /AEcho in mIRC. When I looked for one a few months ago, I was actually surprised not to find one. There are two potential uses that are most apparent, one of which I have done: global script notifications, and global date/timestamping. I generally don't run any scripts that would require such global notifications, but a bit back I was attempting to date/timestamp every window at midnight using a single offline timer.

The requirement of an /AEcho for the timer prompted me to write this. It's rather simple, and might have a bug or two, but it gets the job done for me and could for others as well, so I figured I'd post it. If this is faux pas, let me know and I'll remove it. Of course, I'd still like to see a native /AEcho. smile

Jinx_Dojo #182032 03/08/07 05:44 PM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Originally Posted By: Jinx_Dojo
Of course, I'd still like to see a native /AEcho. smile

Yes, a "echo global" feature could save some mechanical looping, even though I don't have problems with that. As pointed out, it is scriptable.
But, instead of some new command, one or two new "echo -something" switch(es) would be sufficient and allow to keep using the other established echo switches.

e.g. a hyptothetical:
-o > echo "global" (echo to all windows besides 1) status window, which can be addressed by adding -s, and 2) custom windows (don't touch them :P)
And, if wanted, also a hypothetical:
-x > echo to all channels
-p > echo to all queries

EDIT: Ah, and there is that scon thing, but to echo "realy" global, the command could be prefixed easily with "/scon -a", or should this be the next switch? We're running short of letters cool

Horstl #182047 03/08/07 07:52 PM
J
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
J
Another /echo switch would be fine too, I suppose. Just to note, though, my /AEcho does forward existing switches, so a new command isn't necessarily exclusive. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard