Print Thread
#181113 17/07/07 11:03 PM
H
harl91 Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
H
for some reason its treating the variable that im looking for as plain text rather then what is in the variable

Quote:
if ($(% $+ $3) == $nick)

how do i get it to check the variable and NOT the variable literaly

harl91 #181114 17/07/07 11:05 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
if ($eval($(% $+ $3), 2) == $nick)

$eval(code, N) will evaluate code N times. In your case you need it to evaluate the code twice: once in order to get the variable's name, and a second time to get the resulting variable's value.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
H
harl91 Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
H
thanks for your answer and your fast reply, much appreacated

N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
Originally Posted By: starbucks_mafia
if ($eval($(% $+ $3), 2) == $nick)

$eval(code, N) will evaluate code N times. In your case you need it to evaluate the code twice: once in order to get the variable's name, and a second time to get the resulting variable's value.

can i ask why one would use $(...) ??? what purpose does it serve, i cant find any... //echo -a $(
% $me) gives the same result as //echo -a % $+ $me

so what am i missing here? or are people just into typing more then necccccesssssssary?

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Actually $() is shorthand for $eval(). In the mIRC documentation (it's listed as $(...)) it says it will only work within event definitions, but it also currently works everywhere else aswell. However because that behaviour is undocumented it shouldn't be relied upon and so you should always use $eval() in code outside of event definitions. Like $eval(), when you don't provide a second parameter to $() it defaults to 1 which, as your test shows, is the same as if the $()/$eval() isn't there at all.

You're probably wondering why I left the $() in that code I gave to harl91 if it's not doing anything and I used $eval() anyway. Well that would be because of the other reason $() shouldn't be used in code: It's really easy to misread it as $+(), which is what I did. If you hadn't replied I wouldn't have ever noticed that it wasn't $+().

Although the code will work (since $() isn't actually doing anything), it should really be:
Code:
if ($eval(% $+ $3, 2) == $nick)

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
yeah, i use $+() all the time.... thanks for the explanation on $(...), anytime i have to eval something i use $eval() anyway... (Y)

Link Copied to Clipboard