mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#180397 08/07/07 09:10 PM
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
While using mIRC (v6.21) on Windows Vista (32bit), I sent a few messages to myself through DCC chat. The agent was set to speak all messages in DCC chat, and after speaking the first few lines, mIRC froze up. It stayed that way until I killed agentsvr.exe (or whatever it is called in Vista), and then mIRC unfroze and resumed operating normally.

I don't know if this is an mIRC bug, but I figured I'd report it just in case.

Thanks.

(Note: I do not have Windows Vista installed, at the moment, to test any further.)

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Thanks for the bug report, I can't seem to reproduce the issue here yet. I tested with mIRC 6.21 under Vista with all Agent speech enabled, and then connected to several servers, joined channels, opened dcc sends/chats and it all seemed to work fine.

Are you able to reproduce this issue every time? Or was it a one time situation? Does it only happen with dcc chats? If you install a clean copy of mIRC in an empty folder, with no scripts etc., and test it out, does the same issue still occur?

Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
I've just completed a clean install of Vista and mIRC.

These steps led to a hang on my first attempt.

1. In Sounds -> Agents, I checked "Private events" and "Other events."

2. //dcc chat $me

3. I then pasted the following into the dcc chat with myself:

Code:
The mIRC homepage provides the latest news on mIRC, general IRC information, and links to many other IRC-related websites and resources. Please click on one of the links to the left to find out more. We hope that you find this website useful, and your experience on IRC enjoyable! Have fun :-)
mIRC 6.21 has been released! (November 23rd 2006)
As always this new version of mIRC addresses many of the issues reported since the last release. A lot of time was spent tweaking features and fixing bugs. We worked on the installer, logfile handling, script error handling, as well as a handful of other things. Only a few new features and functions have been added, making this mainly a bugfix release. 

For general users the interface has been improved in small but useful ways: the display speed of text in window and listboxes is faster; a new Minimize/Close All menu item has been added to the Treebar folder menus; the IRC Servers dialog has been updated to use a modern and snazzy treeview; for USB drive users mIRC now supports a -portable command line switch which makes it avoid use of the registry; A "Lock Bars" options as been added to the toolbar/switchbar/treebar menus to prevent accidental changes in their position/size; several new sounds events have been added to the Sounds events dialog; and the Sounds dialog Enable/Disable sounds option now disables all sounds completely, for users who like to run mIRC in complete silence :-) Finally, the logging feature has been improved to cope with multiple server connections.

For experienced users and scripting enthousiasts this new version has heaps of fixes, changes and other little thingies to play with. We encourage you to explore the whatsnew.txt on the Web to learn about the complete list of changes and their impact. Some changes are obvious, some need getting used to - please take your time to play with them and see how they work?

May we invite you to visit the Message Board on the website with all questions you might have? The board offers great help with everything related to mIRC!

What is IRC?
IRC (Internet Relay Chat) is a virtual meeting place where people from all over the world can meet and talk; you'll find the whole diversity of human interests, ideas, and issues here, and you'll be able to participate in group discussions on one of the many thousands of IRC channels, on hundreds of IRC networks, or just talk in private to family or friends, wherever they are in the world.    What is mIRC?
To use IRC you need a small program like mIRC, an IRC client for Windows, written by Khaled Mardam-Bey. mIRC is a friendly IRC client that is well equipped with options and tools. mIRC is shareware, which means that you can download mIRC and try it out freely for 30 days to evaluate it. If during, or at the end of, the evaluation period you decide that you would like to continue using mIRC, you must register your copy.  

The hang continued until I killed AgentSvr.exe through taskmgr.

I just tested this again by pasting the following text:

Code:
Hello1
Hello2
Hello3
Hello4
Hello5
Hello6
Hello7
Hello8
Hello9
Hello10
Hello11
Hello12
Hello13
Hello14

The agent is now hanging after speaking "Hello11". mIRC isn't hanging though. When I continue typing more text to myself through dcc chat, the agent does not respond in any way.

Using this alias, I experienced the agent-only freeze again:

Code:
alias FreezeAgent {

var %FreezeAgent.dec = 30

While (%FreezeAgent.dec) {

say Hello %FreezeAgent.dec

dec %FreezeAgent.dec
  }
}

The agent only spoke up to the third line "Hello 28" before hanging.

Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Here is another (less significant) issue I just came across. Using the following alias, the agent text shows (and speaks) characters which are not in the original text:

Code:
alias FreezeAgent {

var %FreezeAgent.dec = 30

While (%FreezeAgent.dec) {

say $str(Hello, 100) %FreezeAgent.dec

dec %FreezeAgent.dec
  }
}

Note: it seemed to be doing this for each line.

Strangely, this alias did not freeze up the agent nor mIRC, but I did stop the agent using "Hide" before it finished speaking the entire thing.

I will now install the latest audio driver to see if that clears up either of these issues, but I doubt it will as I am fairly sure it was up to date the first time I encountered this issue.

Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
After updating the audio driver, I pasted the following text to myself in a dcc chat:

Code:
Hello1
Hello2
Hello3
Hello4
Hello5
Hello6
Hello7
Hello8
Hello9
Hello10
Hello11
Hello12
Hello13
Hello14

Once again, after speaking "Hello11", the agent froze up. After the agent froze, I typed "test" to myself in the same window and this time mIRC locked up, as well. I had to kill the agent to continue using mIRC.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There is a known bug with agent speaking long lines that has been fixed for the next version, however I'm not sure if this is the same issue that's affecting you. I performed the above tests on both Vista and XP and was unable to cause mIRC or Agent to hang. Does this issue occur if you quickly type in one short line after another? Or only if you type in one long line?

It's possible it could be an audio driver issue. If you disable your audio device completely (in the Vista Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Manage Audio devices section), is the issue still apparent?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Okay, after the first lock up any further tests will likely lead to the same problem, so it would be safer to exit mIRC and then re-run it to try the next test.

Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Originally Posted By: Khaled
There is a known bug with agent speaking long lines that has been fixed for the next version, however I'm not sure if this is the same issue that's affecting you. I performed the above tests on both Vista and XP and was unable to cause mIRC or Agent to hang. Does this issue occur if you quickly type in one short line after another? Or only if you type in one long line?

It's possible it could be an audio driver issue. If you disable your audio device completely (in the Vista Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Manage Audio devices section), is the issue still apparent?

After disabling the driver, and rebooting, it seems that I'm unable to reproduce any of the freezing. I'll look into passing this informtion along to Realtek.

Thanks for looking into it.

Link Copied to Clipboard