mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
I'm possibly going to move in about a month about 15 or 20 minutes away from our old house,but Comcast,which i am using now,is not available there. I have to use Charter,so i was wondering how i could find a link to access Charter's port forwarding site. Please let me know.

Paul

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Charter has no such page that I know of and their support section, beyond the basics, sucks.

www.portforward.com

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
well if there is no page then chances are i won't be able to use mirc with charter frown

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I use Charter just fine. Do you mean your router or modem configuration page?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Port forwarding is almost always done with a router. That means that the site linked to above will give you all of the support that you need. Beyond that, you don't need to forward any ports to use mIRC unless you're using DCC, or you want the IdentD to work.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I'm thinking he means the browser accessible modem or router configuration?

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
yeah i'm talking about my fserver and send part. I had to get it configured when i went wireless in Comcast. like i had to type an ip address as a web address to login to comcast port site then i could configure it that way. if i can find a web address to do that,that'd be cool.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
That's your router, not Comcast. When you do that, you're actually connecting to your router configuration page which is hosted on your router, and it should remain exactly the same after you move and set up your network, provided you don't change anything.

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
well since i'm switching providers,i'll have to give up my cable box and get one from Charter. If i do that,the settings won't be the same because i'll have a different ip address for one. so it won't connect to it. i'd need the router page to make sure it's set right for MIRC.

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
hello?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Be patient. Posting again so soon will make people not want to help you as most people consider it to be annoying.

As for your question, unless you don't own the router that you used with Comcast, you can use the same one with Charter. They are not ISP-specific, though some companies do change the firmware so that it says their name and maybe has different options. Even so, it will work with any ISP.

If you do get a different router, then read the package/instructions that it comes with. It will tell you the router URL and default password information. Usually, you'll use http://192.168.1.1 to connect to your router, regardless of what router you have. The default login may be blank, or may be "admin", or something else depending on the router. That's why you should read the instructions. Of course, you can also just go to http://www.portforward.com/ as suggested and it will tell you the URL and default password when you choose the router that you are using.

Invision Support
P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
well as you noticed i waited a long time before responding. anyway,www.portforward.com i can't find it by ISP,just router models and stuff. i'd have to play eeny meeny miney mo to find it and that could take a while. i know the universal router is 192.168.0.1 or whatever,but if it's not set to be enabled with port or range,then it's not going to work. I set mine uop in comcast and i had to make sure the MIRC settings and the router settings on their site was 100% right and enabled as well. so just because my settings are set to 127 port (example) and 7000-8000 range (example) in comcastmdoesn;t mean Charter will be set up like that. anyway,if you can send me the direct links by cable company,it'll make it easier.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
5 hours is not a long time for a forum.

And I think you misunderstand what a router is. The ports you choose have absolutely nothing to do with the ISP. That is entirely up to you what port(s) you choose to forward. As for the choices in that site, if you look on your router, you'll find a label with the brand and model of the router you are using.

Invision Support
P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
ok.well if i have any problems i'll let you know once it's set up.

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
just talked with Charter and they seem to indicate that "MIRC is beyond their scope" so if i can log in with MIRC,i may not be able to have a server. frown oh well. frown

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You can do anything IRC-related through Charter. They just won't help with it.

Invision Support
P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
ok well i'll just wait until i get it set up then go to that port forward page again. Again if i need any help i'll post.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I know you think that because you were forwarding ports via your web browser, you think you were doing that on Comcast's website, but that's not the case. When you went to http://192.168.0.1 you were only accessing your router's configuration utility. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with your ISP. When you get moved and get your network set up, everything will be the same.

Read this and this for more information on private networking.

C
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
C
I really cant believe I am doing this after your last router exercises, what everyone here is telling you that the webpage you connect to isnt at the isp it is in your router, that is where you set port forwarding up. Now I am not a mind reader so I cant read the booklet you will receive with your new router from whoever, but I can tell you it will explain in the documentation on how to access the router set up page and alter some settings, then as I dont know what make/model of router it is I cannot suggest any help. Come on Paul you went through this same thing just a few months ago.

Happy mIRC user on Linux

Link Copied to Clipboard