mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
C
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
C
Not sure how to phrase this, so please bear with me..

While connecting, mIRC first tries to register using the primary nickname in the options dialog. If that fails, it then tries to use the alternate nickname. If that fails as well, it prompts "/nick " and waits for the user to type another nickname. However, there is a slight problem with this, and a few suggestions/ideas I have which may improve this..

First, (and if the preserve nicknames box isn't checked), if the primary nickname fails and the alternate succeeds, then any future /nick commands (for this session) act more like the /anick command, which changes only the alternate nickname. There's no way to change the primary without using the options dialog or reconnecting and hoping to get on your primary nickname. I seem to remember at one time that the /nick command used to accept a second nick, assigning the first as primary and the second as the altnick (but I'm not sure, I may have been trying another client at that time.) Perhaps the /nick command should work like that? Although, it might cause problems with people who accidentally type spaces in a nick.. Perhaps a -a switch of some sort to specify you're intentionally including an altnick? Or a nick command of some sort that specifically targets the primary nick only? Or perhaps an option to try to regain the primary nick if it's currently using the alternate? etc..

I've tried somewhat successfully to script a solution, but it's too klunky for scripting, does not work correctly all the time, and does not work at all during the signon registration process. It would simply be better to implement something in the machine code (although I'm not entirely sure what to suggest for implementing..)

It would also be nice if the nickname/alternate boxes allowed the use of $identifier scripts (much like the infoline, default quit, etc do--and might even be a solution to the above "problem".) Perhaps even a new remote or two that is called only when trying to register the client connection.. The nick remote is too general, and there's really no easy way to tell, or respond, to registration problems vs normal nick changes.

Anyone have any thoughts? (Or even possible solutions I haven't thought of?)

Blessings,
C.

Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
Quote:
First, (and if the preserve nicknames box isn't checked), if the primary nickname fails and the alternate succeeds, then any future /nick commands (for this session) act more like the /anick command, which changes only the alternate nickname. There's no way to change the primary without using the options dialog or reconnecting and hoping to get on your primary nickname.
Sounds like you want /mnick

Quote:
It would also be nice if the nickname/alternate boxes allowed the use of $identifier scripts (much like the infoline, default quit, etc do--and might even be a solution to the above "problem".)
I too would like to see identifiers being supported in more boxes in Options.

Quote:
Perhaps even a new remote or two that is called only when trying to register the client connection.
Have you checked the on LOGON event?

The easiest way to detect /nick failures during logon however is raw 432/433 and $status, which returns loggingon until you are fully registered. Combining it with on LOGON, you can detect when mirc has tried both mnick and anick and failed (just set a flag to 0 in on LOGON, then increment it with each raw 432/433 where $status equals loggingon).

Last edited by qwerty; 07/07/07 06:10 PM.

/.timerQ 1 0 echo /.timerQ 1 0 $timer(Q).com
C
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
C
Sorry I have not replied until now, I forgot to mark this a watched topic.. oops!

Originally Posted By: qwerty
Sounds like you want /mnick

Thank you, I will look into it.. that may be exactly what I want ;-)

Quote:
Have you checked the on LOGON event?

The easiest way to detect /nick failures during logon however is raw 432/433 and $status, which returns loggingon until you are fully registered. Combining it with on LOGON, you can detect when mirc has tried both mnick and anick and failed (just set a flag to 0 in on LOGON, then increment it with each raw 432/433 where $status equals loggingon).

I will look into the ON LOGON event.. I had not seen that before. I have tried watching the raw status codes with limited success. Notably, I had no way to differentiate between normal nick change failures and those while trying to initially log on (even setting a variable was unreliable, more so if I didn't have a bunch of extra scripts running which would set/increment/clear the variable when other related events happen.) I was not, however, aware that the $status identifier could help, so I will try that.

Is there a listing of what values might be returned? I do not see anything regarding that in the help file, and my own scripting has only shown obvious values, like "disconnected", "connected", etc. (Such a listing for all identifiers might be helpful, as well. Some of the descriptions in the help file seem vague..)

Cas

Link Copied to Clipboard