mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
N
Is there anyway to protect my code so others can't view it?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Not really, since if someone is knowledgeable enough and deteremined enough any type of encryption can be broken.

Additionally, if I saw a script that I couldn't view in order to ensure that I knew exactly what it was doing, I wouldn't use it, and I also wouldn't recommend a script like that to anyone else.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I did a little forum searching and I found this mIRC LockEditor v1.0 I've never actually used it so I can't comment on it.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC scripting is meant to be open source. If you encrypt it, people will not want to use it because it cannot be verified to be safe. There is nothing wrong with letting people edit your script so that it suits their needs. You aren't getting paid for it and even if you do encrypt it, you still won't get paid for it because others can just as easily make the same script for free. Encrypting scripts is a waste of time and effort and will just make your script unpopular.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Embed all your code in a dll and put a $dll call in remotes to parse everything off. I have seen this done before, in a quite popular full scripted client (popular at the time not sure about anymore).

As far asencrypting the code in the ini/mrc file itself, you could always convert every string to binary or md5 or whatever, but it would add script overhead and if somebody is bored enough they could write a little snippet to decode it anyway. (since any key'd encoding of the strings in the script would require a plain text visable key to decode it again anyway)

Why are you wanting to hide your code anyway?

There is also always the modify mirc to read an encrypted file method, but i doubt anybody you share your script with is going to want to run a shady patch on their client.

Last edited by Om3n; 16/06/07 07:07 PM.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
O
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
O
Regarding this 'Not Getting Paid' the license states mIRC should not be sold, but however may the snippets/addons someone writes be sold?

codemastr_
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
As far as I'm aware people are free to ask for money for their work. I believe there is an addon that adds webcam support for mIRC that requires money to be fully operational.

Whether people would actually pay for a script is another matter. I know I wouldn't.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

I recall seeing a channel stats script at one time too. I can't remember what it was called or even if it's around anymore. They too wanted compensation for their genius piece of.... work.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Yep, that too. You're thinking of mIRCStats, they charge you a minimum of $12 USD for the "full version" of the stats script. To be fair to the aforementioned projects, they aren't simply mIRC scripting code put into the script editor. But whatever.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard