mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#178586 12/06/07 12:52 AM
S
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
S
I love the way mirc use to log, it would all go to a file created in that day. Now it seems that a date.1.log is created upon reconnection. How do I stop this? I don't want to have to script myself a logging script.

Why if this is on purpose did it get added to mirc?

We don't just write the scripts, we put them to the test! (ScriptBusters)
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Unless you script yourself a logging script, this is the manner that mIRC 6.21 incorporates the logs. In fact, when you leave a channel, either by parting, quitting mIRC or being kicked, then the .1 log is supposed to be incorporated with the overall log for that channel (presuming we're talking about a channel log).

A number of people have mentioned about not liking this method, but Khaled, to my knowledge, hasn't stated if the current method is going to be the new method, or if the old method might be re-introduced as an option.

The reason for this, is so that you have current logs at all times, for all sessions. The .1 log is what records the current session, until the session ends, when it's supposed to be incorporated with the rest of the logs for that day.

I suggest you read the What's New file, and search for logfile for more details.

S
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
S
So, when do the .1 logs add themselves to the main log? I have a lot of .1's just laying around scattered out frown. Current session, I understand it, just don't understand why it's needed though. I thought the original method was working out great. The whole anything said in a channel or anything happening being dumped to a file. Session start session end, daily creation etc...

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
the .1 logs should (although it sounds like they aren't) merge with the full channel log (same name but without the .1 extension) when you leave the channel or when a new day's log is started (if you log on a day by day basis).

I thought I'd seen a script that would check if the .1 log had been incorporated, but not deleted (as might be the case if your computer shut down unexpectedly), however, I'm sorry to say that I haven't been able to find it. If another helper knows of the script to which I'm referring (or similar) and would post the link or script, it would be appreciated.

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
I think the left-over .1 files are somehow due to using an old mirc.ini file. I seem to recall that if you close mIRC, delete the mirc.ini file, and then restart mIRC, the logging should work correctly.

-genius_at_work

S
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
S
Never since having mIRC 6.21 installed has my computer ever been shutdown unexpectedly frown.

Loosing all my options isn't a thing I wanna do frown. True i've had my mirc.ini since around the 5. versions. But each new install my options don't seem to be messed up.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Then try backing up your ini file to a different name, then follow genius' suggestion, and replace the ini file that's created with your backed up version.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There was a thread regarding some issues using older mIRC.ini files, but I don't know where it is anymore. In any case, change mIRC's options isn't that time consuming and could fix your problem.

I do have a couple .1.log files that don't get merged back, but they are few. Personally, I'd rather drop the whole .1.log thing, but I don't think that will happen.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard