mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#178410 10/06/07 02:44 AM
N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
When you use the ctrl k menu, it comes up with the colour scheme for mIRC. Would it be possible to add an extension for that that makes the colours cycle to a selected range of colours, or is that too hard to do, or undesirable? smile

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
You can alter the colours available via Ctrl+K, by using Alt+K first.
By doing that, you can pick and choose what 16 colours you want showing in Ctrl+K, and (I think) that brings it up to a possible range of 16384 colours.

Note: that if you change the colours using Alt+K, the items that used the old colour will now use the new one, so that at any one point, you still only have 16 colours available to pick from using the Ctrl+K dialog.

Extended colours have been suggested before.

RusselB #178417 10/06/07 07:02 AM
N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
That's not what I'm talking about, but thanx anyway. You gave me info that I didn't know smile Do you know what cycling is? It's the colours changing from one colour to another in a cyclic run, like red,blue, green, pink, etc. for the same item in a popup. For instance, I /say ctrl k 4 Hello but with the 4, there is a list of colours that cycle like this 4-5-6-7 etc, for the SAME colour POSITION. If you have Microsoft Word, it's called Text Effects, where you can cycle colours in a text effect. Cycle = rotate on the same spot. smile

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I suspect that this would not only be complicated, but also annoying, as there's already options on most (if not all) networks to prevent colours being used at all.

The term cycling, could be applied to either the response that I gave you, where you cycle between sets of fixed colours, or yours, where you cycle the actual colour of the text through a series of colours.

While I normally have no objections to features, I can't, in honesty, state that I would like to see this.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I saw this one, and i have been thinking about the colors in mirc, to be more exact about the dialog, would be nice to be able to open the color dialog inside one othet dialog, as many making theme to there mirc, then they have to create own dialogs with the colors to use, how ever i have seen many examples where they look exactly as the one in mirc, but with the ability to set the colors for an even. it would be nice to

1: open the color dialog inside other dialogs, like call it with something like $colord

2: be able to grab the color klicked on with something like:

on *:dialog:colord:*: { do stuff }
like you can grab stuff from user made dialogs.

i dont say you should be able to change the default dialogs, how ever grab what happens in it/them.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Do I understand correctly? When you press ctrl k it brings up the colour index, now holding it in would be cool to cycle through the colours switching between them, but maybe repeatedly pressing ctrl k? So we don't get an edit box full of $chr(3)'s.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Using the OP's suggestion of checking Microsoft Word, which I have, it appears to me, as I had already thought when I made my second post, that the OP would like to be able to do a single Ctrl-k, then select a colour, but that colour would actually have a range, and the colouring of the text would cycle through those colours.

This isn't ideal, but I hope it'll be close to explaining what I think the OP means,

Presuming Ctrl+k 4 contained the series 4 5 6
Then the text would loop through Ctrl+k 4
Ctrl + k 5
Ctrl + k 6
with a delay between each colour, so that the previous colour can be seen, and without moving the text
So that you would see something like HelloHelloHello

with, probably a 250 to 500 millisecond delay between colours..and the text in red would be overwritten by the text in brown, which would be overwritten by the text in purple.

As I said, it's not ideal, since there's no way to show the overwriting on the forum (although I think a code with a picwin might be best to show the example...I'll have to read up on picwin's first)

sparta #178455 10/06/07 04:31 PM
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
I think the OP's suggestion is not possible in the IRC world. The effect would only work on the sender's mIRC and not on anyone else's mIRC or other IRC software.

However, sparta's suggestion for the color selection dialog would be great. It should be submitted as a separate feature suggestion. The simplest form would be an identifier ($cpick, etc) that would display the color selection dialog and return whatever color the user chose or $null if they chose nothing.

//echo $cpick
-> displays the color selection dialog using the standard colors (same as ctrl+k)
-> when a user clicks on a color, the identifier returns the number associated with the position in the dialog (ie the color)
-> if a user clicks off the dialog or closes it, $null is returned

I can also picture a customizable color dialog where the coder can choose which rgb colors will be displayed in the color dialog (for applications where RGB colors can be used within mIRC).

//echo $cpick(<base>,<RGB1>,<RGB2>,<RGB3>,...,<RGBn>)
-> returns the RGB number that was associated with the position that was chosen

//echo $cpick(0,<mIRC color #>,<mIRC color #>,<mIRC color #>,...,<mIRC color #>)
-> The '0' signifies actual mIRC colors from the color dialog
-> returns the mIRC color number that was associated with the position that was chosen.

If you specified fewer than the maximum number of color choices, the remaining choices would either be hidden or disabled with a blank looking color.

-genius_at_work

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
nice to see someone think the same as me wink and to the org OP.

The text color can be changed by use RGB, i have seen many dialogs do what you ask for, how ever it would be a nice feture if it was possible smile but as somone said no one else can see the colors, same with the most stuff in a script. they are made for there users, not for the others on the same channels, this is a reason why i made my suggestion, it would be nice to use mirc's own dialog or atlest some of them, then you can make a good looking script but still be able to make it look like mirc, and maybe it would make people use less DLL if things could be scripted instead? in my experience dll files slow down mirc a bit, more dll files = more ram usage and slower mirc.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
RusselB #178594 12/06/07 04:16 AM
N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
Alt K only brings up the main colour window to change background colours in the chat windows, like nick list, command line and main convo window.

RusselB #178595 12/06/07 04:18 AM
N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
Originally Posted By: RusselB
Using the OP's suggestion of checking Microsoft Word, which I have, it appears to me, as I had already thought when I made my second post, that the OP would like to be able to do a single Ctrl-k, then select a colour, but that colour would actually have a range, and the colouring of the text would cycle through those colours.

This isn't ideal, but I hope it'll be close to explaining what I think the OP means,

Presuming Ctrl+k 4 contained the series 4 5 6
Then the text would loop through Ctrl+k 4
Ctrl + k 5
Ctrl + k 6
with a delay between each colour, so that the previous colour can be seen, and without moving the text
So that you would see something like Hello[color:#]Hello[/color]Hello

with, probably a 250 to 500 millisecond delay between colours..and the text in red would be overwritten by the text in brown, which would be overwritten by the text in purple.

As I said, it's not ideal, since there's no way to show the overwriting on the forum (although I think a code with a picwin might be best to show the example...I'll have to read up on picwin's first)

That's exactly what I am talking about. Thanx for that. wink

Last edited by NighTTripper; 12/06/07 04:20 AM.
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
If you right-click on the color choices in the alt+k window, you can change what mIRC uses as its default 16 colors.

-genius_at_work

N
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
N
It would be good to get more views in this subject, especially from Moderators. smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Why especially from moderators? The moderators aren't going to have any more say in what happens in mIRC than anyone else. In any case, this topic seems to have been discussed and completed a few weeks ago and dredging it up isn't a good thing.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Riamus2 #180072 03/07/07 11:58 AM
W
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
W
you don't HAVE to press ctrl + k and then right click the color to change it.

You could do:

/color 00 $rgb(0,0,0)

which would change the first color in the ctrl + k dialog to black instead of white.

If you decide to change several colors and suddenly want to go back to the old ones you could reset them with:

alias coloreset {
var %i = 0
while %i < 16 { color -r %i | inc %i }
}

Link Copied to Clipboard