mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#178526 11/06/07 10:27 AM
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
Does anyone have a favourite mIRC version?

I don't consider the newer versions to be simple bug fixes if features are added and the layout is changed.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I'd have to say 6.03, it's the first version I ever used,first version I started writing scripts on. Although there's been a few mIRC releases after that I still consider it as my favourite.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Did anyone say that mIRC versions are only bug fixes? Of course more features will be added.

Personally, I don't see why one version would be more of a favorite than any other version other than if a particular version gave you difficulties. There are some useful features in just about every new version of mIRC. Whether or not you need or want those features is up to you, but almost all new features are optional, so it doesn't hurt to have the newer version.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I like 6.03 , im used to it, and many things in the latest version i had in 6.03, i scripted them befor i saw them in the latest mirc, like favorite channels, i had alsmost a identic system in 6.03, how ever it was nice to see the DCC bug was fixed in 6.21.

But a bit anoying to see the old popup bug still exist in the new version. This one:

Channel
.Try double-clicking in a channel window!:

I dont know if it should be like that, and i dont understand why it's there cos as it is now it's disabled, so no one can klick on it, the only way is to edit the popup's your self..

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
sparta #178569 11/06/07 08:17 PM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Originally Posted By: sparta
But a bit anoying to see the old popup bug still exist in the new version. This one:

Channel

I dont know if it should be like that, and i dont understand why it's there cos as it is now it's disabled, so no one can klick on it, the only way is to edit the popup's your self..

What the hell are you talking about?

RoCk #178570 11/06/07 08:50 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Originally Posted By: RoCk
Originally Posted By: sparta

Channel

What the hell are you talking about?

Open popup in the new mirc, then look at the menu status. it looks like:

Server
.Lusers:/lusers
.Motd:/motd
.Time:/time
Names
.#mIRC:/names #mirc
.#irchelp: /names #irchelp
.names ?:/names #$$?="Enter a channel name:"
Join
.#mIRC:/join #mirc
.#irchelp:/join #irchelp
.join ?:/join #$$?="Enter a channel to join:"
Channel

Other
.Whois ?:/whois $$?="Enter a nickname:"
.Query:/query $$?="Enter a nickname:"
.Nickname:/nick $$?="Enter your new nickname:"
.Away
..Set Away...:/away $$?="Enter your away message:"
..Set Back:/away
.List Channels:/list
-
Edit Notes:/run notepad.exe notes.txt
Quit IRC:/quit Leaving

You see it missing a / ? have been pointing this out as a bug befor. And no reason for you to be rude cos you dont understand?

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I found this in version 6.20, but not 6.21.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
It's in 6.21 too, I had to install it to see it.

~ Edit ~

I'm still looking at it and I've yet to be annoyed by it. Maybe my annoyance switch is broken.

* RoCk looks at an image of Rosie O'Donnell...

Nope, my annoyance switch is working fine.

D
Pan-dimensional mouse
OP Offline
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
It can hurt to upgrade if Khaled has changed it significantly enough. Sometimes scripts just stop functioning correctly because of changes. Plus, changing the layout seems unnecessary, and I wouldn't want to learn how to navigate it differently.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I use 6.21, and it's there as u can see on the txt i paste here smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: Doomstars
It can hurt to upgrade if Khaled has changed it significantly enough. Sometimes scripts just stop functioning correctly because of changes. Plus, changing the layout seems unnecessary, and I wouldn't want to learn how to navigate it differently.

The most common cause of scripts no longer working is due to poor coding. 6.20 made certain bad coding no longer work, such as missing a closing ) on an IF statement. I personally don't see a reason why that's a problem. If you want to use scripts, then you should either use ones that are updated and fixed regularly, or ones that you can fix yourself. That's just my opinion, of course. New versions of mIRC have caused Invision to stop working and we have fixed those issues quickly. Other major scripts should do the same... either from the original author(s) or from supporters.

As for layout changes, there aren't that many. Yes, options were moved and a few other things at one point. So what? It takes all of about 5 minutes to find and remember where everything is. Besides, I don't know many people who bother going into options from the menu instead of using Alt-O. I think the new features and bug fixes are well worth a few minor layout changes and a few scripts no longer working.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
I think it can be good some commands are made diffrent in releases, that way if someone want something, then they ether have to learn or do like i do, ask here wink havent been scripting for a while "since 6.16", i only fixed some small erors, but now i started again, and i learn mutch by ask in this forum smile

Link Copied to Clipboard