Print Thread
#17776 01/04/03 08:45 PM
Z
zoen Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Z
I am running xp and mirc 6.03, for some odd reason it closes by itself randomly, no set amount of time. any clues to how to fix the problem? confused

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Not without any further information. Are you getting an error message?

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
Z
zoen Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
nope no msgs. it just closes out of the blue.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Are you running any scripts?

Z
zoen Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
nope no scripts. just a clean install. It wierd sometimes it stay on for over 2 two days, sometimes 5 mins frown.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
just to be sure we understand the problem, do you mean that mIRC closes completely, or that you are just disconnected from the server?

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
Z
zoen Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
closes completely. Stops running, no error msg, nothing it just closes completely. if it just disconnect then that wouldn't be a problem...

H
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
H
Have you checked if your computer is clean of virus? I would run a online antivirus scan in one of the different places available for it just to be sure , like this

Also if virus was not the trouble , I would suggest you to download and install a fresh mIRC.
good luck smile

Z
zoen Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
yea i check for virus/spywares and nothing came up. Its the 3rd clean install so i have no idea whats going on. I guess i will have to go back to 5.9* or 6.0 if i can find them frown.
Thanks anyway.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
have you tried one like this one which tends to catch some things others dont.

have you looked thru your remotes?

Z
zoen Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
yea i've been to house call and i have norton and i have used adware 6, but nothing came up. i went through remote and there nothing there. So so odd. frown oh well

M
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
M
Nope, it's not a virus and it's not spyware. I have the same problem of mIRC closing randomly on XP. I have the same version of mIRC installed on a Win98 system in the same home network (same router, same firewall, same DSL connection) and it doesn't have the problem, nor have I experienced this random closing before with Win95 or Win98 in the 7 years I've been using mIRC. It's gotta' be an XP thing...just seems that not enough people are experiencing it for anybody to have figured out the cause, much less a fix. *sigh*

Oh, yeah, one clue. On my system, mIRC only does this random closing down when I change focus from any program back to mIRC. It doesn't do it every time, of course, but changing focus is the only constant. It doesn't make any difference if I toggle between programs with the mouse or with alt/tab.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Its hard to track down a problem when it doesnt happen to everyone and is random. Even when something seems to be happening only to xp users, it doesnt happen to everyone using xp. Thanks for the focus info, reporting consistencies (or at least consistancy within the randomness) helps.

L
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
L
heh , i had the same problem on XP ... mIRC doesn't close itself , it just hide's itself orsmt. ... if you would run another mirc and connect to the same server , then you would see that your nick is still in use... else... dunno what the problem might be :P

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Level, could you be running mIRC as a "service"? (altho im not sure you can with XP, seems to me its a 9x thing) take a look at the properties for your mIRC icon (or start menu entry) and see if you have a -service specified in the command line. As i recall, the point of running it as a service is so mIRC will stay active even when you log off of the computer.

Link Copied to Clipboard