Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#172423 09/03/07 10:44 PM
K
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
K
Hi there. I've recently installed Windows Vista. My default browser is Firefox. However, when I open a link in mIRC, it opens in Internet Explorer. How can I change this? Thanks.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Search the forums for Vista and you'll find the answer. In short, it's an issue with how mIRC checks for the default browser and how it's different in Vista. Until the next version of mIRC, you're basically stuck.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
K
OP Offline
K
I had searched before asking but it looks like I didn't do a good job. Sorry about that.

Thanks.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
No problem. I just didn't want to try and rewrite that thread, so suggested searching for it and gave a quick summary as well.

Invision Support
K
OP Offline
K
I just wrote a little script to fix it temporarily until the next version comes out:

on ^*:HOTLINK:www.*:*:{
}
on ^*:HOTLINK:$(http $+ $chr(58) $+ *):*:{
}
on ^*:HOTLINK:$(ftp $+ $chr(58) $+ *):*:{
}

on *:HOTLINK:*:*:{
run "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" $1
}

S
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
S
how do i add this script into mIRC ??

what's the best way since i'm a script novice.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Alt-R > Alt-R > File > New

Copy/Paste it in there and hit OK.

Invision Support
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Originally Posted By: klanga2049
I just wrote a little script to fix it temporarily until the next version comes out:

Yours may work for you, but it anyone else using your script should know that the above code will break their other ON HOTLINK events, if they have any. You have to use the same check in both hotlink events to make sure it will only trigger for that hotlink, otherwise you'll be running firefox a lot more than you need to.

A slightly improved version is the following, which also allows for https/ftps links and removes any trailing commas, periods or exclamation points people tend to use when linking URLs (Jonny says: check out this site http://yahoo.com!). It works pretty much like mIRC's internal one:

Code:

on $^*:HOTLINK:/^\W*(((?:https?|ftps?):\/\/|www\.)\S+)\b/:*:return
on $*:HOTLINK:/^\W*(((?:https?|ftps?):\/\/|www\.)\S+)\b/:*:run firefox.exe -new-tab $regml(1)

edited: absolute path to program files is not needed in vista, thanks steven!

edited again: links now load in tabs if your browser is already open (we all love tabs don't we? if you don't, remove the '-new-tab' argument)

Last edited by argv0; 25/03/07 07:55 PM.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
S
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
S
thanks the script works well smile

i have done one tweak and removed the absolute path to firefox.exe and just used run "firefox.exe" $regml(1) so it works on both x86 and x64 versions of Vista

R
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
R
An alternative way to "fix" this (quotes due to it not really being a bug in mIRC), is to grab this simple, small program called SetBrowser.

I was having the same problem (I had set Opera as my default browser, but it kept opening links in IE). After I set Opera as my default browser using SetBrowser, they also opened correctly from mIRC (I guess that even though Vista uses a new way to do it, the old way is still supported, and this SetBrowser app lets you set the default browser the old way).

_
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
_
LOOL! WOW!

Here's how you fix it. NO PROGRAMS! NO HACKS/ADDONS! Just a minute of your time.

1. Go to Control Panel and double click on Default Programs, it's the first icon on the second row.
2. Click on Set program access and computer defaults at the bottom.
3. Double click Custom.
4. For Choose a default web browser select Mozilla Firefox and do NOT uncheck the "Enable access to this program".
If you absolutely HATE Internet Explorer like I do then you can select "Enable access to this program" and it'll remove IE from usage.

That's it!

No programs, no add-ons, no scripts... all right there in the OS for ya.

Peace guys,

-bi0h4z4rd

This was written by: bi0h4z4rd
Shouts to: argv[0], Metality, Hrung and rickcp

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I think you're missing the point. When both IE and FF are
available and FF is set as default, IE is still used by mIRC
by default when it should launch the browser that is set
as default.

_
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
_
not when you do what I posted.

V
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
V
Originally Posted By: _bi0h4z4rd_
not when you do what I posted.

Yeah that does fix it, but RoCk is hitting the nail on the head, it was never an issue before, but it is now.

_
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
_
I don't know why you guys keep debating this issue. You change the program defaults like I said and you'll NEVER have the issue again.

There's a reason vista has features like this, USE it. No if ands and butts. I registered on this forum simply to tell you guys that you are ALL wrong and that the method I show you fixes it... FOREVER AND EVER!

Instead of debating the issue and trying to prove me wrong just say thank you. Pretty please?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
It's amazing that it's still obviously over your head. Go away.

V
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
V
Ok lets try to break this down for you.
First off, i had this problem when i started using vista, so i did a search on here and got a solution from this thread.
When you use Firefox for the first time it asks you if you'd like this to be your default browser, Yes? when you click yes and click a link that's in mIRC, IE still opens! That's the problem right there, None of this going to control panel and settings etc, That's not what this thread is about. Yes we know (as you explained) Is a kind of fix, But it's not what the issue is about mIRC is still using IE even when you've clicked 'yes' to Firefox being the default browser.
And if you post a reply saying 'i've told you the solution' again, i hope this thread gets locked, as you are clearly missing the point to it. nuff said

V
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
V
The default thing suggested actually does not work for me on this particular computer (i'll have to try it at home).

The script however does work perfectly for channel windows. It doesn't work for the URL catcher though. Is there anything we could add to that script to include the URL catcher?

Void4ever

S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Originally Posted By: void4ever
The default thing suggested actually does not work for me on this particular computer (i'll have to try it at home).

It didn't for me either. reko_t's link to SetBrowser did however (after I remembered to run it as admin :D, thanks btw). I noticed that both he and I are Opera users, perhaps it's related to that, but I'm not going to download Firefox just to test it :p.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
It has been discussed many times over, some with Khaled himself involved in the discussion and he is working on resolving the issue for the next release if he hasn't already resolved it.

Here is one...
https://forums.mirc.com/ubbthreads.php?ub...true#Post167792

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard