Print Thread
#176840 14/05/07 10:28 PM
F
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
Quick Help Question Here.

My husband and I are both using IRC. He's on a Mac. I'm on a PC. He's using his own mysterious Mac software. I'm using mIRC.

Apparently, he can connect to more than one server at a time. Whenever I try to do this from mIRC, it disconnects me from the previous server I was on. So he might be trying to invite me into multiple rooms on many different servers and I won't be able to follow him very well.

Does mIRC have the ability to connect to multiple servers? I've tried running the program twice to accomplish this, but it just seems to crash on me whenever I attempt to be on more than one server at once.

I'm a complete newbie here, so I admit that I have no idea what I'm doing really. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Elise

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Yep, multi-server support was added about 5 years ago smile

I haven't heard of anyone having this issue thus far (not that every post here is in my memory), however, typing /server -m irc.server.here starts a new server connection. I don't know why it would disconnect you from a previous server connection.

It would probably be easier to identify your issue if you provided the disconnection message.

Edit: Err, just re-read the post and figured you were simply unaware of the -m switch, and therefore using /server or whatever in conjunction with an active connection, which would indeed result in the disconnection of the active server! I thought you were connecting to a second connection and it was causing you to disconnect from the last one. Indeed, just follow Collective's response and all should work out fine.

Regards,

Last edited by Mentality; 14/05/07 10:40 PM.

Mentality/Chris
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
You can connect to multiple servers by ticking the "New server window" box in mIRC Options -> Connect, or by using the using the -m switch with the /server command, for example:

/server [color:red]-m irc.dal.net[/color]

F
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
Thanks... I'll try again here.

Link Copied to Clipboard