Print Thread
#175303 20/04/07 12:38 PM
S
Solo1 Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
S
Right-Clicking over the status window tab and selecting close does not close the window. I know it will d/c me from the server, but i like closing my windows that way.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
It's not a bug, you just can't close the only open status window.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: RoCk
It's not a bug, you just can't close the only open status window.

It's not a bug, but it's incosistant behaivor. Really you should be able to close all status windows. Under the File menu there should be an "Open New Status Window" selection.

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
It's only inconsistent, in the fact that secondary status windows can be closed, it's just the primary status window that can't be closed, and as that has been the case with all versions of mIRC, it is consistent with the known method of operation.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Agreed.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
S
Solo1 Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
S
well if it can't be closed the option should not be there. I know its not some fancy scripting bug so sorry for spoiling your day, but its a confusion in the GUI.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I see no reason to waste time programming the right click menu to check the number of open status windows every time you right click on one in order to see if it should display "close" or not. It is really not that confusing.

Invision Support
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
And how would you suggest that Khaled implement the problem of determining which window should not have the close option available.
If I have connections to 3 networks, then I have 3 status windows, I can then close any two of those three before coming across this issue.

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
It's surely not hard...

Code:
if (<code for $scon(0)> > 1) {
  // Display close menu.
}

Everything that needs to be done is already in mIRC somewhere, it would take minutes at the most to add this feature.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: RusselB
It's only inconsistent, in the fact that secondary status windows can be closed, it's just the primary status window that can't be closed, and as that has been the case with all versions of mIRC, it is consistent with the known method of operation.

But there is no "primary" status window. You can close any status window as long as another is present. But if only one is present it's unclosable. I see no reason why it can't be closed since you could just go to the file menu a select "New Server Window" (which should be there regardless).

Why have an MDI interface if you can't close all the windows within it?

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
There has to be a place for messages to be displayed. If you close ALL the windows, where what will happen when a message (from a script, for example) needs to be displayed? Will a new status window spawn automatically. Personally, I hate when windows magically appear without my permission. Or will all messages simply not be displayed if you have the last status window closed?

-genius_at_work

S
Solo1 Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
S
Well i guess mIRC is only scripter friendly. Shame...

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: hixxy
It's surely not hard...

I wasn't meaning it would be hard. I know it isn't difficult to count the number of a specific kind of window in mIRC. I was just saying that I don't think there is a real reason to. Besides, as was pointed out, you are left with no place for messages to appear.

Invision Support
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
Tell me, what would be the reason for having mIRC open and all the status windows closed if you don't have any scripts running? Remember that all other windows have to be associated with a status window, so you can't have all the status windows closed while still having channels/DCCs/etc open.

If you (or anyone) is not running any scripts and wants that last status window closed, simply right-click the main mIRC title bar and choose "Close". Voila, that last pesky status window is gone.

-genius_at_work

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
I wasn't supporting the feature, just saying that your 'waste time programming' point doesn't hold much weight when we'd be talking a matter of minutes. If it was something that'd take a week to implement and get minimal results then I could understand, but not for this. Personally I agree that only menus that are actually going to do something when clicked should be displayed. It makes the UI a lot easier to use.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Originally Posted By: Solo1

Sorry, but I disagree. In my opinion, mIRC is one of the most user friendly IRC clients available, and I have tried a lot of others (I'm not going to list them, as some of them are no longer available.)

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: RusselB
Originally Posted By: Solo1

Sorry, but I disagree. In my opinion, mIRC is one of the most user friendly IRC clients available, and I have tried a lot of others (I'm not going to list them, as some of them are no longer available.)

Sheesh go try some Mac IRC clients... I mean seriously mIRC's interface is far from ideal... only a die hard user wouldn't like to see things change for the better...

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The reason the close box is there is that Windows does not allow an application to remove or hide it. It's possible to disable it but I actually found that more disconcerting. Users rarely if ever see disabled close boxes, let alone ones constantly visible throughout the use of an application. So I opted to let it be visible and enabled.

I can't assign a non-close behaviour to it since that would make it inconsistent with all other status windows.

As for closing the last status window, mIRC is not usable without a status window. I'm not sure it would make sense for mIRC to occasionally pop up a new status window by itself whenever a script tried to display text, or there was an error message. That would probably be more disconcerting. And discarding such messages probably wouldn't make sense. In addition, there's probably nothing more disconcerting to a new user than closing the status window by mistake and finding themselves looking at an empty mIRC window. So I opted to prevent a user from closing the last status window.

It's not an ideal situation but... quite a lot of thought went into dealing with this one little close button :-)

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Buy me a Mac and I'll be happy to do so.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Sorry for being off-topic...

Quote:
Buy me a Mac and I'll be happy to do so.

Even if I were considering a mac, those dumbass mac v. pc ads
that are on tv every 15 minutes would make the decision for me.
It's close to the top of the annoying commercial list, right beneath
those stupid old navy commercials. sick

Link Copied to Clipboard