mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
H
hixxy Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
H
When you hit the insert key on your keyboard so that you're now in overwrite mode the overwrite caret isn't displayed in the editbox. Richedits are capable of displaying blocks that show which show which character will be overwritten when you type as far as I know. I think this would be useful.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I could go either way on that. Even Word doesn't show it anymore. I think that idea is falling out of use these days. Personally, I don't pay attention to the edit line much while writing, so I probably wouldn't notice anyhow.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
H
hixxy Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
H
Whether word does it or not, I can't see any possible disadvantage to adding this feature, but the advantage is clear (in that you can see which character is going to be overwritten when you type).

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
I don't know it was the insert key witch doing this, so many time i don't know why, when i hit a key, it overwrite the following letter and i was oblige to close/open the Mse.
I like the idea :]

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
A replace-cursor like this suggestion is standard practice in most decent IDE's (or at least optional).

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I find the old method much more usefull. I find it annoying when I type I suddenly start to overwrite without noticing it, and you have to check the status bar at the bottom of the screen wether the setting is on or off... really annoying.

the line and block cursor are much more visible

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Like I said, it just isn't something that affects me. I know where my fingers hit, so I know if somehow I hit the insert key for some strange reason. If it's changed, I don't really care. It just isn't important to me. Btw, I never look at the status bar in an app to see if insert is pressed.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard