Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mystiky Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
M
I am sorry if this may be a repeat of others who have posted about this in January or February, but very soon it will be 5 months since VISTA code was frozen a "gold".

There are numerous bugs and problems with mIRC and Vista. As a paying customer to mIRC, I have been patiently expecting a newer release that fixes many of the Vista-related issues.

Going back to Windows XP is not an option for many of us. And let's be honest. By now, about 90% of the companies out there have VISTA versions/fixes out for their software.

Unfortunately, mIRC is not one of them. And that's a pity and there are alot of users that use mIRC and that's not how one keeps customers happy.

It's been far too long.

Last edited by mystiky; 25/03/07 03:47 AM.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Khaled has stated that there will be some fixes for Vista in the next version, however, he has never released information regarding when a new release will be out until it actually is out. If you haven't signed up for the Mailing List, I suggest you do so, or keep your eyes peeled in the Latest News section

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
There may be 'numerous' bugs between Vista and mIRC, but none of them (in my opinion) should be considered serious. With that in mind, I'd assume that Khaled wants to get as many bugs solved as possible before he releases the next mIRC version. I'd rather see 1-2 significant releases, instead of 10 minor updates that are only being done to satisfy the currently incredibly small portion of mIRC users who use Vista.

-genius_at_work

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
also, you state that 90% of the companies have switched... but I really REALLY doubt that.

most companies will wait before switching. one of the reasons would be the high cost of new licenses, aswell as the costs of changing the infrastructure.

also most companies KNOW that Vista support is still very low...

somehow I doubt even 40% of all companies switching already.

then again, I have seen no numbers anywhere yet stating either way. just seems very unlikely to me.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: Doqnach
also, you state that 90% of the companies have switched... but I really REALLY doubt that.

He said that 90% have released updated versions/drivers that work with Vista, not that 90% have started to use Vista. Even so, I doubt 90% is accurate in that, either... though most major companies should have already done so.

In any case, as mentioned, the bugs are minor and we will get a fix when we get it.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
It seems either the companies have underestimated the changes in Vista and/or began too late with coding new drivers and patches.
NVidia & Creative still don't have final versions of their drivers. Adobe has not and will not release patches for their current versions, instead they will force customers to buy new versions.

So it seems the Vista acceptance is not nearly as high when XP got out. I personally am content with XP and I think alot of people are content with it aswell and stay on XP as long as they can. As for mIRC, it would be indeed reasonable to offer Vista support, after 2-3 months.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Heh. Such a useless hassle. laugh

Invision Support
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
I doubt 90% is accurate

Agreed, a big part of those got their application design right in the first place, so they don't need to fix it for Vista.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
[quote=SaribroAgreed, a big part of those got their application design right in the first place, so they don't need to fix it for Vista. [/quote]

I wouldn't say it's that they got the design right. I'd say that what their programs do doesn't deal with parts that were changed in Vista. Vista introduced (or at least required the use of) a lot of security features. If you have a program that deals with any of those changes, then you'd need to have an update no matter how good your design was.

If I were a car maker and I made a great gas-powered car - perfect design, stylish, etc - and someone came along and made it a law that all cars must be powered by only electricity, then I'd have to make changes to the car even though it was a perfect car up to that point. Yet, if I was a glass manufacturer, I don't have to worry about the change in the law and so I don't need to put out updated versions. It's the same thing with programming.

Invision Support
M
mystiky Offline OP
OP Offline
M
While I agree with most of the replies, I also realize that mIRC is not a nVIDIA driver not an Adobe product. Those take 100's of programmers to make.

I just wish that there would be a "quick-fix" patch for mIRC to address some of the basic problems and then Khaleed can take his time on getting the rest of it tuned up.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There are rarely "quick fix" releases... and those are usually because they affect a lot of people. mIRC users with Vista are still very low, so it doesn't affect that many people, so it doesn't need to be released prior to a new "normal" version.

Invision Support
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
If I were a car maker and I made a great gas-powered car - perfect design, stylish, etc - and someone came along and made it a law that all cars must be powered by only electricity, then I'd have to make changes to the car even though it was a perfect car up to that point. Yet, if I was a glass manufacturer, I don't have to worry about the change in the law and so I don't need to put out updated versions. It's the same thing with programming.

If the law has been recommending electric cars over gaspowered for 10 years already, motorcycles an trucks were only allowed to be electric from the start, and you were informed about the enforcement of electric cars a year before the law came into effect, there is no excuse to be caught with your pants down, stradling a gaspowered engine. It's the same thing with programming.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you read all that I wrote, I was referring to the design itself being good or bad.

Invision Support
M
mystiky Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Well,

it has been another 2 months since I initially posted my message. Still, nothing from Mr. Khaleed.

Frankly, this is now getting bothersome. Yes, I am a patient person, but now I am quite frustrated.

It would be very nice to know where things stand.

Last edited by mystiky; 24/04/07 07:52 PM.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
If you read the bug reports forums it's fairly obvious where things stand. Khaled has rewritten mIRC to properly support multi-user OSes which means it'll work absolutely correctly under Vista and is quite clearly in the process of fixing bugs. Chances are there'll be two or three rounds of beta testing if it hasn't started already and then I wouldn't be suprised if it comes out around early May. Speculation of course but it makes sense.

It's all well and good saying you're getting impatient but if a bug is missed or a new bug is found that affects you because mIRC gets pushed out early I'm sure you'd be the first to complain that there's an unfixed bug that needs a solution ASAP. Better to take the appropriate time to get things done correctly first time around.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
April 24 is not 2 months after March 24.

-genius_at_work

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: genius_at_work

LOL! laugh

Invision Support
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: genius_at_work

We can blame that on another Vista bug. smile

P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Anyone care to list these "oh so many bugs with Vista and mIRC that we need a update ASAP!" ?

Only thing I've noticed with mIRC and Vista so far is for some reason my mIRC hates playing music. The /splay command will "play a file" for about 10 seconds without sound then the song stops. I'm not for sure why mIRC does this but WMP works fine. I know mIRC uses some kind of command that uses Windows audio playing stuff.. (I'm kind of illiterate on this.) So I can't really tell if its a mIRC problem, or a problem between mIRC and my Window's Codec(s) I think?

Live to Dream & Dream for Life
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Quote:
Anyone care to list these "oh so many bugs with Vista and mIRC that we need a update ASAP!" ?
Search the Bug Reports forum for Vista

Personally, I'd rather wait and get one upgrade that covers most (or all) of the problems found, than to have an update come out one week, and then another the next.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard