Page 1 of 2 1 2
X
Xolt Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
X
Version: 6.21

Ok so this is going to be more graphical than explanation, but the gist of it is that $ip and Local Info don't correspond to the documentation nor does it make much sense in how this all works out. In one way, why would $ip be evaluating to me as my local ip, and shown in a channel or query windows as my local ip, but display my actual public IP to the channel or queried user? Shouldn't $ip evaluate with one result and not two?

Second happening is that $ip evaluates completely null, both to me and to everyone else when I empty the Local Info field, but according to the above, it should still display the actual public ip, right?

Third happening is that when I enter ANY valid IP into Local Info's IP Address box, $ip, on my end, evaluates as that ip, but again, my actual public IP is shown to everyone else.

(IP used was AT&T's main DNS server)
EDIT: (Please disregard the difference in IP's used for "for everyone else:", my bad with typing in my IP)

I have tested this both with my main client and a completely new client in a different folder (no scripts or anything loaded), and I still get the same result. Is it possible that the either the documentation is not clearly defined in how this all works or that something with how mIRC works is flawed? I call it a bug because I didn't receive a constant response when fooling around with Local Info. The way I see it, $ip should evaluate once, locally and publicly and give a constant result, not two different results not being posted differently.

Last edited by Xolt; 12/03/07 09:30 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Set it to Server for lookup and it will get your non-local IP.

FYI: You cannot hide your real (non-local) IP to others by typing it into that box, if that's what you're trying to do.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
K
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
K
Also, you shouldn't need to change that, unless you're running a bouncer and want $ip to evaluate to your IP address (For DCC).

Those who can, cannot. Those who cannot, can.
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I don't know Kardafol, looks like your mirc is possesed by the devil. six6six? Maybe thats why!

X
Xolt Offline OP
OP Offline
X
I'm saying that no matter what, everyone else sees $ip evaluating as my actual public ip.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
That's because $ip is a mIRC identifier, which, if mIRC is obtaining the IP normally inside a LAN (ie. if you're using a router) will be your LAN IP rather than your internet one. Everyone else will see your IP as provided by the IRC server, which of course only sees your public IP since from the server's point of view it has no idea there's a router or a LAN or anything else. $ip has nothing to do with what anyone else sees.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
X
Xolt Offline OP
OP Offline
X
$ip isn't populated by the server though, that's the bug. mIRC is grabbing the actual public IP from out of the blue when you're behind a lan. $ip should evaluate to whatever your computer's assigned IP is, not evaluating twice, once to you for your local IP, and then out to everyone else with your public IP.

Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
In addition to what starbucks_mafia said (ie that the value returned by $ip and your IP as seen by others may be different), I'm not sure how you mean "everyone else sees $ip evaluating". Only you can see what your $ip evaluates to, nobody else. Others can see your IP by whoising you or otherwise, but they have no access to your $ip identifier (nor to any other identifier in your copy of mirc for that matter).

/.timerQ 1 0 echo /.timerQ 1 0 $timer(Q).com
X
Xolt Offline OP
OP Offline
X
//say $ip

To me it shows 10.10.0.2
To everyone else, 75.70.???.??? (???.??? is edited)

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I think you have something wrong here...

if you ask people what your IP is, they will check their /who(is) reply for instance to see your IP. they will see your outside IP.

if you type //say $ip, you will see the IP mIRC finds (which is your local IP if you change the setting and not have it look it up automatically) and other people will also see that IP as a message in the channel. they however can't lookup your local IP by normal means because only YOUR mIRC knows what that is.
so unless you have a script or whatnot that returns your local IP, other people can't see it.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
K
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
K
Excuse me? I'm not the OP. Try reading for a change.

Those who can, cannot. Those who cannot, can.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
When you type //say $ip mIRC evaluates $ip itself to 10.10.0.2 and then that is what is sent to the IRC server. If other people say they are seeing something else then there are a few possibilities:
1. They're messing with you. (by far the most likely)
2. You have a mIRC script changing your output. (unlikely but possible)
3. Your router has gone mad with power and is performing Network Address Translation in an incredibly bizarre and stupid fashion. (extremely unlikely)

Create a second connection to the server and see what appears to that connection when you type //say $ip from the first one.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Lighten up Francis.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
I don't even understand why the local info settings exist? They conflict with the firewall settings. Technically this is just for DCC. But when will you use an IP for DCC different than your server IP? Well when your using a proxy. Which you specify in the firewall settings.

To make things more confusing is there is a Bind to IP setting, which localhost seems to ignore.

You have an external IP and at least one internal IP. They may be the same, they may be different. Regardless why doesn't mIRC get BOTH?

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
C
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
C
I haven't done it in a while, but I know when I wanted to DCC Chat into my eggdrop that was on my local network, I had to force my IP to be my local one (which is static) and switch it back to my public one afterwards. That was mainly because of my router, though, because if I try to access anything local to my network using my public IP, the router is accessed instead of the computer in question.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
off topic, but a solution to this:

Originally Posted By: CyberBotX
DCC Chat into my eggdrop that was on my local network

/ctcp botnick chat works without changing ip

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
C
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
C
Originally Posted By: CtrlAltDel
off topic, but a solution to this:

Originally Posted By: CyberBotX
DCC Chat into my eggdrop that was on my local network

/ctcp botnick chat works without changing ip

Except that it didn't. See, my IP when connected to IRC is my public IP, and whenever I try to connect to anything using my public IP, my router interjects and tries to be accessed instead. I had to change my IP to my local one so I could connect to anything locally. Even for my websites on my local webserver, I have to put each hostname into my HOSTS file to even see the sites, otherwise the router's configuration window comes up instead.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
wonder why it works on my computer/network and not yours?

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: CtrlAltDel
wonder why it works on my computer/network and not yours?

Most likely a setup error or else a bad router (bad in that it can't understand what he's trying to do). I've hosted some things on my computer using shttp in order to grab it from somewhere else if I needed it and never had an issue with the router popping up. Of course, I always used the public IP to connect and not the local IP. That's with an Xterasys router. I haven't tried it with other brands.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Quote:
whenever I try to connect to anything using my public IP, my router interjects and tries to be accessed instead.

It sounds to me like you have the routers remote management
enabled and listening on port 80. Make sure it's either
disabled or change the port. This would be the only reason
you could access your router config using your WAN IP.
When remote management is disabled. the router config
is only accessible locally using the routers LAN IP.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard