mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#173212 22/03/07 08:04 AM
E
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
E
forgive me if this was already posted, i searched and didnt find anything.

anyway... I think it would be a great idea to allow for script compilation to where you could make a bot using mIRC scripting then compile it and set it to run on a specific channel and network. You would load it up through an exe and it would work on all the principals of IRC. Would be amazing if the scripting could be concealed so no one else can edit it besides the person with the source code.

D
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
D
Originally Posted By: EatingHamIRL
forgive me if this was already posted, i searched and didnt find anything.

anyway... I think it would be a great idea to allow for script compilation to where you could make a bot using mIRC scripting then compile it and set it to run on a specific channel and network. You would load it up through an exe and it would work on all the principals of IRC. Would be amazing if the scripting could be concealed so no one else can edit it besides the person with the source code.

I would prefer some other read only feature for code... Maybe some key than needs to be input, to edit code.
In general, there is no use to hide code, because everything can be easily written. OK, there is many script kiddies that copy other works after that, calling them by his/her scripts etc. But this isn't real problem smile
Only, if you want to prevent someone, to edit your mIRC "version" (someone call then SCRIPTS), this could be useful. Just like, if you want to change something, you need to copy everything, and make a new script file and it will no more call itself your original script.
I hope you understand my... bad english...

Deele /SCRIPTWORKS/

LV | ENG | RU
Deele #173224 22/03/07 12:21 PM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Quote:
Only, if you want to prevent someone, to edit your mIRC "version" (someone call then SCRIPTS), this could be useful.

It would also be very useful for someone to pass malicious code
on to unsuspecting users. mIRC scripting has always been open
source and should always remain open source. If the OP doesn't
want his code to be altered or copied there is one sure way
to prevent it, and that is to keep it to himself.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
this has been discussed alot already... try using the search function and expand the timeframe to as far as it gets. you will find many discussions on this subject and most end up on the side of 'never happening'

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
RoCk #173249 22/03/07 02:22 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Agreed. Scripts should *always* be open source. You aren't selling scripts, so there isn't any reason why you can't let people improve your scripts and if they don't give credit... well, oh well. smile

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
If you dont want your code seen, then write it in a dll. I have seen a few scripts in the past where there is nothing but a $dll identifier at the top of a remote script and the dll processes everything. Suprisingly (though it was a few years ago) when i tried it out there wasnt any noticable lag etc. Cant say entirely on the method used (embedding the scripts into the dll and tying it into mirc so that it checks the code from within the dll, or all coded in the dll itself) but thats about the only option i can think of right now. (bar converting everything to decimal in the script, or similar, to the point where its incredibly tedious and troublesome for somebody else to mess with)

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
Om3n #173311 23/03/07 01:12 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Just to point out... that's the kind of script I'd never run and I'd always advise others never to run it. smile

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Riamus2 #173757 29/03/07 10:58 AM
Y
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Y
I agree with the idea of mIRC scripting being an open source language.
I think we should aproace it in a different way:
It's a known fact that the way mIRC compiles the script at the moment (being one line at a time) is very inefficient, and increases the runtime significantly.
I suggest mIRC should compile the script after closing the editbox (compile only the edited scripts) and cache them in the memory somewhere.
Like compile and run the script at the same time.
Then wou'll have like a 1-2 Mb file in cached in the memory, but the runtime will improve a great a deal.
Maybe even make an option in the options dialog somewhere to allow compiling of the loaded scripts.
This way if you just want to test a script, you can remove that option and use the editor as much as you want without having to worry about mIRC compiling on every close.
And if you have a small memory chip you can convert memory usage to runtime.

Yochai #173758 29/03/07 11:21 AM
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
mIRC doesn't compile anything. Scripts are stored in memory and interpreted.

You can tell they're stored in memory by deleting a loaded script. It will still run in mIRC.

If you check versions.txt or the forums you'll often see posts such as "I improved for routine for such and such so it now runs much faster" by Khaled, I think that's the most we can expect as a lot of mIRC's code is probably from when he was less talented. Asking for an actual compiler is a bit much, because for a start compilers are huge projects anyway; developing something to compile scripts as well as incorporating it into an IRC client would be really difficult and one or the other would most likely be neglected.

Link Copied to Clipboard