mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
M
A spin-off off this thread.
It would be really handy if /filter supported normal (channels etc) windows as the output buffer.
Or a savebuf switch that prefixes line colours so you can save and loadbuf a channel window without losing the colouring.

$maybe
B
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
B
I would like to see this addition because I had to save my results into a file then load them into channels. so that would be so handy.

Kind Regards, blink
S
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
S
I would like to add to this, as a spin off from the thread as well. Just to be clear, I also think the usefulness to extend these functions is there. But there are 2 other changes that are a more direct path and less computationally intense to accomplish what I set out to do.

The first is, having the /*line commands work on other windows than custom, through their name - but then we have to watch out for same name channel/query/whatever on different networks, so it'd be dependent on which "scon" it is executed, or through a globally unique identifier like the window id.

Also, since we're changing stuff anyway, I never quite understood the usefulness of having the optionally first number be interpreted as the line color, when a ctrl-k + number before the line achieves the same thing, and no confusion would arise from that. Although I do understand that changing the signature from a function is a big deal that can break some scripts.

The second one is the $fline identifier. From my courses at uni, I know that finding text is a pretty complex process to do right, so I wonder if the identifier could be changed or adapted to do less of it. One way would be to have a new field like $fline(*,*,0,*).last, so you can directly get the line number of the last occurrence (the first one is easy by changing the 0 into 1), without having to use $fline twice. That's some extra memspace tho. Another option could be to have any larger number than the amount of occurrences be interpreted as the last occurrence, like change the 0 in 1000 and if there are only 67 occurrences, return the line number of the 67th occurrence.

The last thing I can think of and maybe the best in this specific scenario, is a new identifier that works almost exactly as the ctrl-f (find) function and complements the $fline by doing the same thing the other way around. $find(*,N) with .text field, that starts searching from the bottom up and returns the line number from the Nth occurrence. This function could also integrated in $fline by having a fifth field that would indicate direction (1=up/0=down) instead of always counting by going down.

Sorry for the large amount of text smile

M
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
M
Originally Posted By: Sintel

The last thing I can think of and maybe the best in this specific scenario, is a new identifier that works almost exactly as the ctrl-f (find) function and complements the $fline by doing the same thing the other way around. $find(*,N) with .text field, that starts searching from the bottom up and returns the line number from the Nth occurrence. This function could also integrated in $fline by having a fifth field that would indicate direction (1=up/0=down) instead of always counting by going down.

Sorry for the large amount of text smile

/filter is for a mIRC command shockingly fast smile A scripted command using /filter to find a line in a channel window is already possible without being slow at all. The problem arises is when you want to filter/loadbuf into a channel window. /filter doesnt allow channel (normal) windows as the output buffer. savebuf doesnt allow you to save line colours rendering /loadbuf useless in this case.

/*line support for channel (normal) windows would work as well.

$maybe
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Searching backwards via $fline() is already possible using a negative number for the index. $fline(@moo, *hello*, -1) finds the last line containing "hello".

Edit: Nevermind, no it isn't (see below).

Last edited by starbucks_mafia; 12/03/07 04:14 PM.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
$fline() with a negative index is just the same as $fline() with 0, ie returns the total number of lines.

/.timerQ 1 0 echo /.timerQ 1 0 $timer(Q).com
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
So it does. I figured -1 might work so I tried it and got the answer I expected, presuming it would've failed if it wasn't a valid index. Guess I should've tried with -2 or -3 to make sure.

Oh well, the negative index is definitely the way to go for supporting this feature though.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.

Link Copied to Clipboard