Page 1 of 2 1 2
#170276 06/02/07 12:50 PM
C
colt45 Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
C
Took a look at this as i'm seeing this alots and it's driving me little crazy crazy

<-- REVERSE
 <-- BOLD
 <-- COLOUR
 <-- I don't know what that is :S

There's few more I think but it's kinda weird seeing those symbols on Vista?
Any chance of a fix or something?

I'd prefer the old sytle (those little square symbol)

Any fix or what I need to do? - Go back to XP or what?

Thanks in advance

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
What you see is usually related to your codepages that are installed. I have those for my characters and I don't mind them. But if I install a codepage for Japanese (Eastern Asian, I think it's called), then I start getting "L" shaped things that rotate depending on which control code is used. The problem with that is that a Ctrl-O character looks like a space and is a problem when trying to write a script with that code.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
you also get this in XP if you install asian language support...

it's very annoying when coding indeed ;-]
also when trying to use a little colour/underline/bold from commandline...

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Heh. I mentioned the asian codepage issue. That's the one that used to annoy me. I finally just chose to remove it.

Invision Support
O
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
O
I have the same problem , has anyone found a fix yet?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Just uninstall codepages that you're not using, such as the Asian one. I don't know where they have those in Vista as I refuse to use that thing.

Invision Support
O
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
O
I only have uk installed , it has something to do with how vista uses several languages to make up another

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
as I refuse to use that thing.

lol nice description grin

IceCapped
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
What can I say? XP works great. I can leave it running 24/7 without a reboot for months and it doesn't give me any problems (I've done it). I constantly install/uninstall games and have no problems there. I don't see any need to upgrade to an OS that really doesn't offer anything to me that I care about. I read over the feature list and it's a pretty weak feature list, if you ask me. Since I know everything works perfectly with XP and all my drivers work in XP, I will stick with it. I know that if I change to Vista, *something* won't work and it is likely to be something that will never be compatible with Vista and I don't feel like dealing with that annoyance. smile

Invision Support
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
I've tried Vista (business and ultimate), and I totally agree with you. I didn't see any new features that I found to be worth changing from XP. In fact, I found that just doing some tasks which were simple and straight-forward in XP, are a total nuissance in Vista. For example: in XP, to change your static IP, you go to start > network connections > connection #1. To do the same thing in Vista, add about 5 more steps, including giving permission 2-3 times.

-genius_at_work

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
its more an os made for retards and people who droll on fancy looks

IceCapped
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Nice description, raZOR. I will say that it is probably very useful for developers thanks to that linux-style scripting thing they put in. At least, it was supposed to be. I never really figured out what the use of that was for a regular user.

I was going to try it out in one of the betas or RCs or whatever it was called by installing it on a blank drive I have sitting here (no space in my computer for it right now). It froze before it even had a chance to start installing. It could have just been a bad download, but that was enough to make me choose not to bother.

Invision Support
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
its all about DX 10... nothing more.
atleast from my point of view.

3D flip windows, "live" thumbs and "faster" search
is not good enough reason for me to buy new expencive hardware
just to run that "thing" grin

IceCapped
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yeah, I agree. And just the cost of Vista itself is huge for so little difference.

Invision Support
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Additionally there are a lot of 3rd party manufacturers that don't have Vista compatable drivers for their hardware...including some very recent hardware, such as PCI-X (PCI-Express).

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
(Just a side note.. PCI-Extended (PCI-X) and PCI-Express (PCI-E) are two different things. Wiki )

-genius_at_work

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Noted...I'll make sure I use the proper terms in future.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Here is a *VERY* insteresting read about Vista. Noting all of this, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that I will ever install Vista on my computer. If support for XP diminishes enough to make it difficult to stick with that OS, then I'll just move over to Linux.

Invision Support
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
thanks for the link

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Np. I found it very interesting. Especially noting how much Vista will degrade your hardware's life expectancy through constant accesses (pings), and how it disables your own devices if it doesn't think they are secure enough for protected content, and how it restarts your GPU every so often (I forget the time frame) to prevent any chance of hacking, which creates additional load on the computer and I can imagine what will happen while playing a graphics intensive game.

Invision Support
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard