mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#171009 18/02/07 01:11 AM
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
I was just wondering if I would be allowed to have the mIRC logo on my message boards. I have a section for "mIRC Scripting" and I wanted to have the logo as a forum image. I also wanted to maybe make a small change to it, which would probably just be making all of the colors semi-transparent. Is this allowed? Thanks.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I don't know 100% if that violates some small copyright detail but really I can't see it being a problem. If you want to be ultra safe, then as always when it copyright issues come up, you'll need to obtain Khaled's permission by emailing him and waiting X number of days/weeks/months for a reply.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I don't know the laws where he lives, but in the US, I believe using the logo in that way would be protected under the Fair Use laws. However, editing it, even to make it semi-transparent, would most likely violate the copyright unless you have permission to do so.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
As long as you don't claim rights to the image, nor make any profit using the image, then I'm pretty certain it's considered fair use.

W
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
W
Yes, as long as you credit it properly.

A
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
A
changing, editing, diffusing and/or distributing is a violation of copyright laws and treaties. That having been said, this is the internet, how the can they find you?

Such a potty mouth.

Last edited by Mentality; 12/03/07 09:08 AM.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
The Internet isn't as anonymous as most people like to think it is. In fact it's a hell of a lot more traceable than doing something in the physical world for the most part.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
And, as I said, the act of using it is allowed under the Fair Use laws as long as it's not edited. If it's edited, you'd need permission.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard