mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#16731 24/03/03 05:45 PM
C
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
C
I am on a campus T1 line and they recently sent out an e-mail to everyone telling them that they blocked off the NetBIOS ports to increase the security, and i noticed that i can no longer connect to any server, it just says that there was an identd request and nothing else. it eventually says that software caused abort and i can't get any farther than that. Is there any way for me to connect?? Any help would be greatly apperciated. thanks

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
IRC does not use the NetBIOS protocol, so that has nothing to do with it. But anyway, every school I know of does not allow its students to use IRC. Therefore I am not going to help you break your school's rules. If it is not against the school's rules, then contact their computing department and have them look at it.

C
OP Offline
C
Well, the deal is this. Before Spring break, i could connect fine to any server i wanted to, with no problems at all. But now i can't connect to any. How is this possible? I thought it was not possible to block IRC programs? I am not looking for anyone to break the schools rules, I am just trying to understand how it works and why i can not connect. So if you know anything that might help enlighten me, please don't hesitate to post a reply....thanks

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
It most certainly is possible for network admins to block connections to IRC. You need to talk to the IT department at your school, but I suspect they've blocked it for a very good reason, and you won't get any joy from them.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
C
OP Offline
C
So most likely they blocked the ports....are there any other ports that i can use to connect to mIRC through? and what ports does mirc use?

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
no one will help u break the rules of ur school ..... for a couple of reasons ...... most ppl went thru what ur going thru and had to live with it ...... do u have a phone in ur dorm??? use dialup and live with it till ur done with school .......

D3m0nnet.com
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
many schools and businesses have done a very thorough job of blocking access to IRC. we arent going to help you find a hole if any exists... we'd just as soon not help you get tossed outa school when they catch you

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
C
OP Offline
C
Ok let me take this moment to say [deleted by moderator] You think u guys are gods and know everything about anything. Well maybe you do, and maybe you don't. Chances are that you know more about mIRC than I do. I am not asking u to help me find loopholes in my schools internet, all i want is information on how mIRC works so I can be more informed about it. And as far as my school catching me, well i have been using mIRC for a year and a half now and they haven't said anything about it, and if they do, then i will deal with it. So if you are going to post something that will help me understand this a little better then thank you. And if you are going to post something else, then don't bother cuz your words are going in one ear and right out the other.

Last edited by ParaBrat; 25/03/03 03:46 PM.
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Well first of all try reading this page , this page , this page , and this page. If you can't find anything then well at least someone can say they tried.

Now onto the lecture...

If you are gonna tell everyone off and call them names then you have no right in posting on these forums. You are only making it more difficult for YOU AND YOU ONLY because we reserve the right to help anyone and yes that includes you. The reason why nobody has helped you is because most if not all schools condemn the use of IRC. But as before you may want to also ask your "tech guys" at your school for any problems you may be having. Now if you ever want any help or answers in the future it would be a good idea to study "common courtesy 101" because if your immature behaviour continues a moderator will be along to take care of ya...and not in a good way and also any future posts by you will be ignored.

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
ok im gonna take this moment to say ..... ur right we may or maynot know mirc better than u ..... but atleast ours works at the end of all this name calling uve done ...... u still aint got an answer .... so look at u ..... were all online chatting using our mircs knowing possibly nothing more than u and ur sitting there all mifed cause u cant ...... so tell me whos the loser here ...... uhuh look in that lil mirror ...... the best advice for u to do is ask ur schools ip administrators ..... not mirc .... as its notmircs fualt u cant connect but your schools ip administrator has changed settings ..... most likely because some lil kid went out and caused trouble online at a network and it got reported to ur schools admins ...... which has caused this sudden change u cant explain ..... now for anyone here to tell u how to get around that would not only be wrong but immoral ...... as most likely the reason ur school has blocked this ... is possibly ur doing ... we dont know that ... and its not our place to give u backdoors ....... so chaulk it up to omg the mirc gods dissed me or whatever u wanna call it ....... but remember this ....... when asking for help its a wise thing to not try to bite the hand off the person lending u the help

D3m0nnet.com
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Many ppl have taken the time to help you, and your reaction is name calling and insults. Just because you dont like the answers ppl who took the time to try to help you gave, is no reason to be rude, and we wont tolerate that here.

You were told that it is indeed possible and quite common for schools and businesses to completely block access to IRC. It was suggested you speak to the sysadmin at your school to determine if that is indeed the fact (which your posts indicate it is). If they have, there are prolly not any holes, and any there are would be something we arent going to help you find (and would not be as simple as a server port). We are here to help with mIRC probs, not circumvent your schools policies. You did indeed ask for help/holes in getting around it, specifically: are there any other ports you could try.

You said you used mIRC for some time without probs, then your school instituted changes and now it doesnt work. The error you got is client side, which means on your end, the schools network/firewalls, not mIRC or the IRC network/protocol. We could only guess at what steps they took and to what extent, THEY are the ppl you need to be talking to for information.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
C
OP Offline
C
Well, to everyone who had useful information for me, i want to say thank you. and to the rest of you who spent your time yelling at me, i am sorry, i tend to take offense when people talk to me like i am a 3 year old. So sorry and thank you

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
takes a big person to admit they are wrong ..... hopefully ur problem will be resolved by some of the help offered if not there may be other things to try

D3m0nnet.com

Link Copied to Clipboard