mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
I think the 'problem' the original poster was talking about was related to what happens when mirc or (more likely) windows crashes and the automatic merge does not occur (and/or corruption?)

IMO, the underlying crash issue should be fixed, not changes made to software to accomodate it. (if indeed that is the case)

I guess during a crash of some sort the merging does not occur, and if you dont remember to do it manually things could become a mess, or entire time periods missed, etc.

Maybe a few logging options such as 'automerge on startup' or a command/timed automerge feature could be useful for both crashers and mircstats users.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
J
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
J
Originally Posted By: Om3n
I think the 'problem' the original poster was talking about was related to what happens when mirc or (more likely) windows crashes and the automatic merge does not occur (and/or corruption?)

I guess during a crash of some sort the merging does not occur, and if you dont remember to do it manually things could become a mess, or entire time periods missed, etc.

Indeed. I've got multiple #channelname.network.N.log -files due to crashes etc. I should take a look at the files and try to paste the .N. -files into the actual log file, trying to locate where they belong in the file.

Originally Posted By: Om3n
Maybe a few logging options such as 'automerge on startup' or a command/timed automerge feature could be useful for both crashers and mircstats users.

These features would solve all problems I'm experiencing, I think. I don't regularly shut down my PC so the log files won't merge automatically (which means I'll have to part and rejoin channels to perform the merging.)

At the moment I have all mIRC Stats automated update sctipts turned off because it won't update the stats if i don't first part and rejoin the channel (or merge the log some another way).

Now the stats look mostly like this: #xiit.org Quakenet Stats by JJS3. There's missing a great deal of lines in the log => stats (since they are in the .N. -files.) The channel has been quite active lately but in the actual log there's days of maybe 30 lines.

Last edited by JJS3; 17/12/06 08:11 PM.
P
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
P
Oh, uhm now I feel stupid :$

Haven't checked but if thats the way it's supposed to work then it might work :P Are there any other way of merging the log without rejoining the channel then? Some command or something?

I also agree with what someone else in the thread suggested, an option to switch between the old "unsafe" logging method and the new "safe" one.

A
Ave Offline
A
Temporary log problem (.1.log etc) can be handled easily in mIRCStats by selecting multiple logs with wildcards like this:

c:\logs\#chan*.log

or if you have the same channel open in multiple networks:

c:\logs\#chan.network*.log

This picks up all matching logs, both permanent and temporary and analyzes them in chronological order. It also handles dated logfiles (monthly, weekly...) just fine.

That should work in most cases, unless you crash your mIRC or open multiple connections to the same channel.

R
R
I do understand the reasons for this, I have experienced the doubling of lines when connected to the same network twice, etc.

However, this fix seems to need more functionality & configurability (i don't think that is a word... but you get it). Like the ability to change when and/or why the temp log is written to the permanent one. I think at least a manual command to put the temporary log into the actual log file would be great.

Perhaps a way to detect improper mIRC closures (crashes, etc) and do something with logs in the event of this (that might be too much work for such a problem as this).

My main problem with this new fix is that I don't have enough information, I'm not sure when it merges the files or why. I don't want to have join/part all the channels just to force a merge.

I'm pleased with the new logging technique, I would just like more control over it in the next version(s).

R
R
Wow, thanks so much Ave. That solves my problem, though I still wouldn't mind the new features. I didn't see this till after I replied above.

J
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
J
For some reason this doesn't work for me. Mircstats just skips the .N. files "due to complete overlapping". I wonder if I've set some option wrong or something..?

Mircstats returns (channel & network name cencored):
Code:
Analyzing log structure.. this may take a while.
2 files fitted into the given log filter.
#Channel.Network.log: 153707 lines
   (su 28.08.2005 13:08 - ke 24.01.2007 00:29)
#Channel.Network.1.log: 22 lines - SKIPPED
   (ma 22.01.2007 00:30 - ma 22.01.2007 00:30)

1 logs were skipped due to complete overlapping.

J
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
J
Ah, fixed. Sorry for needless post.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard