I
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
I
i am using a router in my home network
the router is B-Focus 312+
in my computer i cant log in any server with mirc
it always saying "unable to resolve server".
in my other computer, connected to the same router, i can.
the settings in the mirc are the same and i cant fix the problem.
(i dont have any firewall, not window's and not the router's)
please help me understanding the problem.
i will be very greatfull.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
First off, I noticed that you have another post in this same section regarding the same problem. Please don't double post. If you make a post and find that you need to correct it, the forum does allow you to edit your posts up to one hour later.

Next, most routers come with a firewall built-in to them, and an excellent resource for configuring routers is at Portforward.com
I suggest you check there to ensure that it's not a firewall or other setting on your router.

M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
are you using an IP address or a hostname to connect to irc?

example 192.168.1.1 or irc.quakenet.org (i know its not the correct quakenet ip)

sometimes my DNS servers mess up, and it cant resolve quakenet or any other servers unless i use the ip address, you should maybe try it.

I
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
I
first of all thanks for answering me, you are very kind.
second, from where do i achive the server's ip address?
third, how do i connect to a ip and not to server name?
forth, why can i connect to the same server from my brothers comp?
(it is connected to the same router and to the same isp)

M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
The servers ip address can be found via MSDOS (command prompt)

type ping irc.quakenet.org and it will show you the actual ip address (if it cant resolve it, you might have a DNS issue)

so typing ping irc.quakenet.org will show you the ip address is : 194.109.129.222

so type /server 194.109.129.222 in MIRC.

lastly, the reason why you couldnt connect, could be a DNS issue , this is very, very unlikely if your MSDOS can resolve the ip address of the server you wish to connect to.

I
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
I
thank you very much.
so now, after we knw i have a dns issue.
how do i repair this problem.?

M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
ok, if you have a DNS issue, it could be your router which isnt assigning the DNS to your lan ip properly, mine sometimes bugs out doing the exact same thing as you descibe.

Firstly try unplugging your router, and leaving it uplugged for 30 seconds, and plugging it back in, if that doesnt work, you need to manually add your own DNS servers via windows, this is easier than it sounds, keep reading.

Open your internet connections in windows and go to the lan connection which your running this can be found via the :

control panel->network and internet connections->network connections

Anyway, next, you need to type in a lan ip, this can depend on your router model, for example some use 192.168.1.x and some use 192.168.2.x and some use 192.168.254.x...you get the picture, you can normally tell this by : right click your internet connection in control panel and go to : Status then click support, it should give your LAN ip address, WRITE THIS DOWN and also WRITE DOWN THE DEFAULT GATEWAY ok once you have this, next step :

Now, at this point you have to know your ISPs DNS servers, or...some dns servers thats reliable, for example im in england, and i can use most the english ISPs dns servers, do a quick google server for : Name(name ofisp) DNS servers. And you should get some results.

once you have 2 DNS server ip addresses, you must assign your ip address

right click your connection, and choose properties, then click :
internet protocol (tcp/ip) then click properties.

you will now have a box, with 5 fields to fill in

IP address = the IP it said was your lan IP in the above step. (you should have wrote this down)
Subnet mask = it should fill this in auto after you do the above one.
Default Gateway = your routers ip address, on the lan (you should have wrote this down)
Finally, the last 2 : you have to type in the DNS servers you found on google.

once you have done this click ok, and close the windows back down, it should have allready assigned the settings when you click ok.

hopefully it works...if it doesnt, its a problem with your lan somewhere, or possibly your MIRC client.

Last edited by Monkeh; 12/12/06 08:52 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard