K
K_L_ Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
As a continuation of this problem
https://forums.mirc.com/s...rt=1#Post157425
in the mIRC v6.21, a Japanese channel name in JIS doesn't work properly. Actually this problem has persisted since v6.16. mIRC v6.15 works fine for a Japanese channel name. It seems v6.20 only fixed the SJIS/JIS conversion for channel messages but not a channel name.

K
K_L_ Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
It's not fixed in v6.3. What's the bug status?

Last edited by K_L_; 08/10/07 10:07 PM.
K
K_L_ Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
I checked what mIRC 6.3 is sending to a server when joining a channel that has a channel name in Japanese , it's sending a ShiftJIS string regardless of whether the option SJIS/JIS Conversion is on or off.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC applies the SJIS/JIS conversion to the whole of an incoming and outgoing line of text at all times, so it should be converting the channel name as well. Can you describe a step by step process that reproduces this issue with a clean install of mIRC? Please include the server address (if that is important) and an example channel name.

K
K_L_ Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
Originally Posted By: Khaled
mIRC applies the SJIS/JIS conversion to the whole of an incoming and outgoing line of text at all times, so it should be converting the channel name as well. Can you describe a step by step process that reproduces this issue with a clean install of mIRC? Please include the server address (if that is important) and an example channel name.
I checked again and apparently the whole SJIS/JIS conversion seems not working in mIRC 6.3 for outgoing messages. I turned off and on the related options but it didn't fix the problem. Then I copied only mIRC.exe to a certain folder as an equivalent of clean installation and saw the same happened.

Why the issue about joining in a channel was noticed first was Japanese IRC clients can join in a channel with a Japanese name while mIRC can't join in the same channel. Now I've checked what mIRC is actually sending for PRIVMSG and it's ShiftJIS. Why it's not noticed was because Japanese IRC clients can interpret both JIS and SJIS.

The Japanese ShiftJIS string for "#test" (or "#te-su-to" in the Japanese language) in binary is "0x23 0x83 0x65 0x83 0x58 0x83 0x67". If you are handling it in wide characters for a Unicode application, it should be in UTF-16 instead. This has to be converted to "0x23 0x1b 0x24 0x42 0x25 0x46 0x25 0x48 0x1b 0x28 0x42" in JIS (codepage 50220) before sending it to a server.

I think you can check what mIRC is actually sending to a server by looking at parameters for socket functions in the debugger. Anyway it had been working in old versions, I guess you can compare the behavior of v6.15 and v6.3 to reproduce it.

Last edited by K_L_; 16/10/07 10:30 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you set a ShiftJis font as the default font for the status window, does this solve the issue by any chance?

Link Copied to Clipboard