Print Thread
#165521 27/11/06 10:44 AM
H
HB1 Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
H
Hi all, I have been running Mirc happily for a number of years now all of a sudden when a nick trys to take a file from my server (Omenserve) Mirc disconnects.

I can get onto the channel fine and get voiced etc. Nothing has changed recently, so i dont know what thw problem is likely tobe. If anyone can through some ideas i would appreciate it.

K
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
K
What ISP are you on? This has also started happening to me and other users and we are on BT. Apperently there is a problem with BT causing disconnects when a DCC command is sent or received.

W
W
im on bt aswell and also having the same problem sending/receiving files.
does anyone know if bt intend fixing it?

H
HB1 Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
H
Hi ...I am also on BT?

How can we confirm BT's position with this issue?

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
I am currently in email with BT, will post here their reply...

btk

billythekid
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
It's a little back-asswards but heres my comms so far... still waiting for a reply to this email, which I sent last night...

Quote:
billythekid to bt_com_openwor. 00:09 (16 hours ago)
Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support
center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you
within 24 hours.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

To update this question by email, please reply to this message.
Because your reply will be processed automatically, you MUST enter
your reply in the space below. Text entered into any other part of
this message will be discarded.

[===> Please enter your reply below this line <===]

Thank you for your response. Perhaps a run through of what is happening here should clear up any misunderstanding.

1. I connect to an IRC server using the popular windows IRC client, mIRC.
2. Connection(to the server) is successful and I can join channels and have conversations with other users.
3. Someone else on IRC tries to send me a file using the DCC(Direct client to client) protocol.
4. I see the attempt in mIRC's status window, however the file is never received(connection to the other client does not occur)
5. Furthermore, not only does the connection to the other person not happen, but the connection to the IRC server drops too.
6. I reconnect to the IRC server and rejoin the channels.

This is what I see in my status window...

[11:42PM] -Cat- DCC Send !bratt.wav (24.107.76.234)
[11:47PM] * [10053] Software caused connection abort
[11:47PM] * Disconnected
[11:47PM] * Connect retry #1 216.14.48.141 (6668)

(the disconnection to everyone else is shown as a ping timeout, as it should as the disconnection is being forced without telling the server i'm gone)

It should be noted that neither I nor the person trying to send me the file (whether BT customer or other ISP) has changed any settings and this all used to work with no problems. One of the users in our IRC channel had the very same problem recently in the USA, which also turned out to be her ISP blocking file receipt on IRC(I do not know if this was a port blocking issue or some other problem, she was sketchy with details.)

The message forums for the mIRC program have also identified this as per my original link.

This also happens when i try to DCC Chat with someone, I can connect to the server in order to set up the DCC session, but as soon as the request to connect to the other person goes through I am knocked off the IRC server and the DCC session never connects.

This also seems to be a somewhat intermittent problem, as I managed to DCC receive a .jpg file from a friend yesterday with no trouble. Yet today nobody can send me any files or create a DCC session. (DCC sessions are preferable to normal private messages on IRC as they are reliant only on your own internet connection and not reliant on the stability of the servers, since you connect directly to the other persons computer.)

I am able to send files with no trouble, unless the recipient is a BT customer also

[12:02AM] DCC Send of billythekid.txt to Cat complete (00:00:37 28.0 KB/Sec)

when trying to send to a BT customer:

[12:04AM] * billythekid has quit IRC (Broken pipe)

This does not disconnect me from the internet, only the server, and only for that connection, (I can connect another mIRC to the same channels and see myself being disconnected. )

I hope this will assist you in the repair of this problem and please contact me for any further information.

Thanks, Billy.

[===> Please enter your reply above this line <===]

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Broadband & Internet - BT Broadband - I have a technical or connection problem

Discussion Thread
Response (Deepa D) - 11/26/2006 03:07 PM
Dear Mr. thekid,

Thank you for your e-mail dated 26th November 2006, your e-mail has been logged under the reference number refrefrefrefref.

I understand from your e-mail that you think that disconnection of IRC servers are being enforced on detection of DCC sessions. You wish it to be reversed. Further you think that it has been identified as BT problem. I understand your concern.

I am sorry to inform you that we are unable to comprehend the exact issue from your e-mail. I would like to inform you that we should be able to resolve this issue; however, we need some more information before we get started. Please reply with more information regarding your issue at your convenience which will enable us to assist you better.

Thank you for using BT Total Broadband.

Deepa D
BT Total Broadband Support Team.

Customer (William thekid) - 11/26/2006 01:10 PM
Title: Mr.
First name: William
Last name: thekid
Please enter the details of your query: disconnection from IRC servers is being enforced on detection of DCC sessions. This is a recent development and needs to be reversed.

Please note:
https://forums.mirc.com/s...p;page=0#173536

Others have identified this as a BT problem. This is not a port forwarding issue, but an implementation of something on BT's side.

Thanks for this help.
The phone number your query relates to: hell no
Account number: hell no
Email address: hell no
BT email address: none@btinternet.com
Are you the account holder?: No
Alternative contact number: hell no
Your contact preference: Call
Have you previously contacted us about this query?: No
If Yes, please enter reference number:
Which type of problem do you have?: other problem
Please enter the date when the problem started: 24/11/06

Auto-response - 11/26/2006 01:10 PM
Title: How to get started with BT Broadband
Link: http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/ph...ated=1116249185

Title: How do I activate BT Broadband Talk on my BT Home Hub?
Link: http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/ph...ated=1148987224

Title: Are there any Terms and Conditions Associated with the Call Now service
Link: http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/ph...ated=1102334943

Title: How do I set up BT Communicator?
Link: http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/ph...ated=1132663113

Title: Contact us for technical support and fault reporting
Link: http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/ph...ated=1086709606

Question Reference No061126-001087
Category Level 1: Broadband & Internet
Category Level 2: BT Broadband
Category Level 3: Connection
Date Created: 11/26/2006 01:10 PM
Last Updated: 11/26/2006 03:07 PM
Reference Number:
Firewall: No
Phone Number:
SmartAssist Enabled: Yes

Full name

Alternative Email

Email Address

Security Phrase

Tickbox

[---001:003719:09830---]

billythekid
M
M
I think this is particularly useless

I understand from your e-mail that you are unable to use Direct Client to Client Connections (DCC) on Inernet Relay Chat (IRC) on your connection. I also infer that there is no sign of trojans and viruses. Your firewall as well is set correctly. You want to know whether our service is current blocking that port or not. I am sorry for all the difficulties you are experiencing.

Please be informed that your issue is not under the scope of support for us. To know more information about your issue please visit the website: http://www.iagora.com/~espel/index.html. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us with the above reference number.

A
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
A
I am having the same problems described by Billy-the kid.
I just contacted BT on line support who say

"I understand your concerns, however the issue is being under investigation and this issue will be resolved soon."

A
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
A
Just had this message via on line support

Vidhya Rajan 09:14 PM Nov 27, 2006

Thank you for your response. I certainly understand your concern. I would like to let you know that our BT engineers are working on it to release the block of MIRC. Hope it will be resolved soon. Please bear with us and hope your issue will be resolved soon. Thank you.

H
HB1 Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
H
Hi all

This may not be relevent, but all of you that have a problem like me. Are you all using modems or do any of you have properly configured routers and still have this problem.

In other words

I have the problem HB1 and using a modem OR

I have the probelm HB1 and using a Router

Your partisapation would be appreciated (I have my reasons for asking)

Regards

A
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
A
I use a BT Home Hub D4EE
I used a BT Voyager 2091
Have been able to DCC for almost 10 years
Have you seen the posts in Connection Issues...IP blocking DCC?

M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
been using irc for about 4 years, never had no problems until roughly the 24th-25th of november this year (bt internet), tested on :

bt homehub
bt voyager
green frog modem (so i could see if it was any hardware firewall)
DLINK DSL504T

same problem on every one, as soon as i start a DCC send, or recieve, instant disconnect, no messages or anything for about 10 minutes, and then it eventually realises i have been disconnected.

if this helps : im in yorkshire (not sure if its a region thing) and my ip address is on the 86 range.

A
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
A
Many people having the same problems, see posts in Connection Issues, IP blocking dcc.

D
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
D
i am also having the same problem that started around the 25th november, i even formatted my hard drive thinking it was a problem with installing internet explorer 7, now and again i can get to download files (normally if i leave mirc on for a few days it just starts working again by itself but if i turn it off and back on it wont work anymore) ive been using BT for as long as i can remember with a bt voyager router/modem.

L
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
L
Same problems here I am also using BT

G
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
G
Hi All
Im new to this forum and was looking for help on this topic, i like many of you in here are having a disconnect issue using Mirc, mines a slight variation tho.
Ive been with BT for about 5 years for broadband now and have been using mirc for about same time period, ive never had a problem with it disconnecting me until last week when my package got upgraded from the fixed length line speed of 1 meg to the upto 8 meg line speeds on BT Total Broadband option 3.
It now stays connected for a few hours then in the status window you will see a time period where it stops sending and replying to pings to the mirc server im on, then i get the error

[10:20] Ping? Pong!
-
[12:20] * [10053] Software caused connection abort

so i have to disconnect and re-connect and then all is well for a few hours again.

Could this be caused by the error correction algorthymn BT use called interleaving, as it detects changes on the line and therefore causes the line to re-sync ?? Bt support havent been much help wih it and its getting very frustrating to say the least

U
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
U
If you look at the FAQ on Bt total page you will notice that your connection *MAY* be unreliable for anything upto 10 days after the upgrade. After that then get in touch with them.

Link Copied to Clipboard