mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Dave, he can't dcc send - he's behind a NAT device. Standard stuff, I had him working at one point, about a month ago, then he changed something and it stopped working. He refuses to just do what he's being told, claiming that he did exactly what he was told but it didn't work. I won't make the obvious comments - you have enough experience to see them without my having to type them.

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
FNar i didn't change anything. if i did and saw it was not working i would have changed it back again. and i thought the reply was "i don't understand what you are trying to do. tell me what you have done then we'll go from there" i told you every step i did. and i'm not saying i did them. i did them. i'm not gonna go "ok do this in MIRC? ok. did it.didn't work" 1 second after being told. FNar if you believe i'm under a NAT device,then tell me what a NAT Device is and tell me step by step how to do it,because i've done everything so far. i even went as far as network connections/double clicking the local area connection/properties/tcp/ip /properties/filling out my info it ip number gateway,etc/close everything. then go to DHCP and disabling. i executed MIRC. still get connect...connect...connect... nothing. so i don't know.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
State your hardware layout

like internet----cablemodem---router( band/model & ip )---pc( ip & mirc dcc ports ) or what ever it is.

From what i have seen of FNar's posts I have the feeling he knows what hes doing, so it might just be that your missed soemthing or hes forgotten something thats normally (99%) always set etc.

From what I understand right now your trying to get your mirc to be able to send files & initalte chat/fserv sessions (aka file server)

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
well the router is linksys wcg200-cc but i was already at portforward.com about 50 times and i know i set it up right according to the instructions. my computer is homemade from a company in alpharetta,Ga called CSI. my ISP is comcast.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
IM going to assum you have no firewall running on the pc that is blocking anything, if u have ANY firewall running I suggest uninstalling it testing then if u get connected then sorting out the firewall, however proceed below on the grounds there is no firewall running.

Ok quick check list
(1) window > START > RUN > CMD > OK > IPCONFIG
IP = 192.168.x.y
Is this the IP you have forwareded the ports to?

(2) mirc > tools > options > connect > options > advanced
Start = X
Finish = Y
Are these the ports you forwarded in the router?

(3) Router > Security > Disable Firewall Protection >
Setting = Disable
Has this been done.

(4) Router > Security > Block Wan Requests >
Setting Disable
Has this been done. (i know it didnt say to do it but it does say to do it on other linksys models, although i never found the need before)

(5) Router > Status > Internet Connection >
IP Address = a.b.c.d
Is this your actual internet IP address or a lan ip such as 192.168.x.y or 10.0.x.y?

(6) Router > Applications & Gaming > Port Range Forwarding
There are no conflicting forwards to other Ip's?

(7) Router > Applications & Gaming > Port triggering
This is empty?

(8) Router > Applications & Gaming > DMZ
This is not on?

(9) Router > Applications & Gaming > DMZ
set on, and set IP to your PC's IP **** warning a firewall well be needed in the long term if this option is left in play ****

If none of these work email me ill tell you were to conenct to me or someoene else who can likely sort ya problem out, but do please check these first, as the same thing is likely to be asked of you by me or who ever might help you.

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
well 1 and 2 i have definitely done. not sure how to go to the remaining 7 steps though. the thing is on firewall. i have Windows Firewall but according to F'Nar when i was chatting with him on MIRC Help he said that wouldn't matter if it was on or off. which is true because as i mentioned before i had it on before i had the wireless modem/router put in and it worked fine. But the router has it's own firewall built in i understand but i don't know if it's that or not. no one seems to understand how to turn it off if it is that so... i don't know. by the way you keep saying "Router > etc etc" what do you mean? i don't have a folder or even an option in control panel called Router.

Last edited by paulgr; 08/10/06 03:24 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You have to go into your router setup screen. The same location you forward ports. Open Internet Explorer and type 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your router tells you to use). It will ask for a password. Sometimes, you just type admin for username and nothing for password. Sometimes anything for username and admin for password. Your router manual will tell you, or someone who has that router can tell you. Portforward may even tell you. After you get into the router setup screen, you can follow the steps DaveC told you to do.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
well the only thing i saw on my comcast page is the port forward stuff but i can try one more time. If i need help,please post here with a reply on what i should do.

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
ok i was just there. as i thought,nothing was there that you described. and the thing you mentioned,router manual,i never recieved one. when he came and set it up and stuff i saw the box it came i and i saw a CD and instruction book but he never left it with me. i told comcast that twice but they never acted on it,or if they did they acted like it was not necessary. So i am just stumped on what to do frown

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
well 1 and 2 i have definitely done. not sure how to go to the remaining 7 steps though. the thing is on firewall. i have Windows Firewall but according to F'Nar when i was chatting with him on MIRC Help he said that wouldn't matter if it was on or off. which is true because as i mentioned before i had it on before i had the wireless modem/router put in and it worked fine. But the router has it's own firewall built in i understand but i don't know if it's that or not. no one seems to understand how to turn it off if it is that so... i don't know. by the way you keep saying "Router > etc etc" what do you mean? i don't have a folder or even an option in control panel called Router.

Windows > START > RUN > CMD > IPCONFIG
The default gateway is the routers IP
Run internet explorer and enter the gateway IP in the address bar
This should take you to the linksys wcg200 settings web interface page (in the router) and this should look like the pages shown here.

If these pages are not present it is becuase comecast have flashed the router with there own firmware, this may limit/destroy any chance you have to doing whats needed, you could attempt to flash it with the correct firmware from linksys, but dont count on it!

I had a ssumed you had a normal linksys modem as you did not state before that the portforward websites instructions for the router did not match.

if "the thing is on firewall" refered to a router firewall then it liekly needs to be off, portforward states the linksys needs it off.

********* TURN WINDOWS FIRE WALL OFF **********
Your got a router its got firewalling built in by the share nature it doesnt forward ports unless u tell it to, that is beyuond any actual firewalling codeware in it.
And if u dont want to turn it off then Xp firewall needs the mirc dcc ports pinhold through the fire wall.

I wouldnt be suprised if the problem has been that windows firewall was on and blocked the ports.

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
well again that ip address shown goes to my comcast page which has different screenshots then what you stated. There's no way to go to linksys and configure it there as i have tried calling linksys and they told me that it's confugured locally at comcast. If you look at port forward there is a comcast section on it and that takes you to MIRC. here are the screenshots i have on these links: http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Comcast/WCG200-CC/mIRC_Auth-IdentD.htm
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Comcast/WCG200-CC/mIRC_DCC_-_IRC_DCC.htm

on line one i have this set: line 1:Application Name: Mirc.exe port 113- 113 protocol: Both the 192.168 ip address and check under enabled. Line 2: DCC 6000-7000 Protocol Both: the 192.168 ip address and check under enabled.

I have had it like this since i learned about the port forwarding page,but still having problems. I even have MIRC as 113 port and range of 6000-7000 but still having problems.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
ok, sorry i missed seeing there was a comcast set of routers, i saw u say linksys and so looked up the model there, u well notice all the extra options, that might be in the technical setup (might not be to), by the look of that lot they have just altered the firmware on the router, (those comcast pages are in the router).

Anyway, heres what ya can do, set up the 113 for ident (make sure the ident option in mircs on as well else thats not ever gonna get used anyway)
Ansd set up your forwarded ports, i doubt you need 1001 of them, i would suggest something like 6001-6020 20 should be fine for any one.

Anyway what ever ports u forward, i suggest you next go here https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 this is a websiote that scans you to see what ports you have open, select the port range 6001-6020 (or what ever u selected in the end for dcc ports) and do a custom port scan, i suspect you well find there all stealthed. AKA a firewall is still in effect.

Assuming that happnes go to the router and setup DMZ to your lan IP (this is essentialy saying forward ports 1 to 65535 to this ip) aka all ports forwarded to this IP. AND remove the portforwards u had, as they might conflict, so all u got is the DMZ, then hit that firewalling website again and check your ports, and common ports, if they all still appear to be stealthed, i would suggest its (1) the pc is firewalled still, or (2) the routers stuffed and ask your isp for another one.

Heres something you can do if u got more than one pc
start pc1 up and run mirc logon to a server, on pc 1 type in /LOCALINFO -h wait 5 seconds then type in //echo -a $ip it should reply with the 192.168.x.y ip
start pc2 up and run mirc logon to same server
goto pc1 and type /dcc chat PC2mircnick to chat to nick on pc2, this is using the internal lan ip so does not need forwarding from the router, if the server can not connect it is due to a firewall issue most likely on PC1

^ the above might also be able to be done on one PC using two copies of mirc running (not sure about that, havent got mirc here to try on sorry)

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
well again i only have 1 pc. and secondly i think the only thing there under DMZ is my computer name. According to Comcast at one point,they said i was supposed to remove my computer name by selecting "connected Computers" then click "add" on the right. those are the only thing i can do at DMZ on the page. nothing to click other then those 2 options. and it's true that the site you recommended said it was stealth. This is just complicated. i shouldn't be having this much trouble.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You would be much better off getting a new router that isn't set up by Comcast. Just pick up any router (I personally like Linksys routers) and then you can follow the normal router setup information without messing with how Comcast set things up in the router. Of course, that costs you money to do.

Invision Support
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
DMZ to the pc using the computer name, the router well internally resolve that to the Ip of the pc.

Did you try while using 2 mircs on the same machine?

Here is a disturbing possability as well, since DMZ is resolving to the machine name rather than an IP, it might be that you can not have static lan/pc ips under the comcast router, it might refuse to forward to anything that is not dhcping its Ip from the router (i have seen this in non linksys models, netburst or netgear i think it was), however since your the only pc behind it the router "should" always issue the same ip to the pc, as it well take the first dhcp ip on offer, meaning you could still forward to it, Is the PC ip Static (set in the actual pc) or dynamic but is returning the same value all the time?

As Riamus2 has said already I suggest you try a alternative router.

Last edited by DaveC; 11/10/06 01:12 AM.
P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
well it's always the same IP address. and i can get on MSN Messenger,Paltalk,everything perfectly. so if MIRC doesn't work,saying "i'll get another router won't solve the issue. because in order for the Router to be like you said,MSN would have to not work,Paltalk would have to not work,even my anti-virus updater from the net would have to malfunction. they don't. so if only one program i have,MIRC,causes this issue,why does it have to be a faulty router? i'm sorry i'm just confused on all of this. but anyway as i stated i can get in MIRC at times,but occasionally i get disconnected,or i have to leave,or whatever and if i get disconnected just once,it takes me 20 minutes an hour even all day to get on. this time around it's taken me 2-3 days to get on. I'm out of options and i don't think i'm ever going to get it resolved frown

B
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
B
Hi everybody. Sorry to add fuel to the fire, but I would greatly appreciate some help along the same lines. I have gone through this thread and done everything as instructed, but I simply cannot connect to *most* IRC servers (Undernet and EFnet are fine, though I can't connect to anything else via mIRC).

I checked all 9 of DaveC's recommendations and my system is setup for all of them. I also went to https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and I ran into a problem. All of my ports checked out fine (in stealth mode), except two -- 113 (which I will assume is the problem) and 5000 (UPnP) -- which are both closed. This has me curious: in my Linksys settings under Port Range Forwarding, this port is listed (under both protocols, for my IP address, and it clicked 'Enable'). I have saved numerous times and scanned on the website again, but it still shows as closed. Any suggestions as to why this might be doing this?

For what it's worth, it usually gets a response from the server, but I never get far enough for the chan box to pop up. It often just stops after the general 'welcome' message (stating which chanmodes, cmds, etc. are allowed on the server).

Last edited by badnick; 11/10/06 08:30 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Does it disconnect after the welcome message? Or does it just stop? If it stops, try: /join #help

If that works, then you are connecting fine and the channel popup box is just not showing up.

Port 113 is probably being blocked by a firewall if it's forwarded properly on your computer.

Invision Support
P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
personally i am getting the channel popup box problem as well. it only lets me in the room with punch server then any other server. sometimes it pops up on swiftco but it won't let me in though. but oh well frown

B
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
B
I'm still unable to join channels on the server unless it connects completely. All firewalls are disabled (both on my computer and on the router/modem). What doesn't seem to make sense, based on everything I've read, is this: when I disable forwarding port 113 to my IP address on the Linksys setup, it shows up as being in Stealth mode on the aforementioned website (^) and as Closed when it is being forwarded (enabled). I tried randomly connecting to the server list on mIRC; I was able to make successful connections on about 30-40% of them, but the rest (including each of the ones I actually want to connect to!) aren't working.

Any other suggestions?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard