Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
well i can but it seems like you seem to think it's a case of "ok here you go" and "i tried" and "you didn't follow my directions" scenario when i already said i tried. But in any case,i figured out how to turn off DHCP manually under services. I can try filling out that stuff you mentioned earlier that is if i can get the internet working after filling that in without DHCP. otherwise i'll have to go back to DHCP again. Remember i have a learning disability as i am autistic so i need a lot of patience.

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
Ok i did what you asked. I turned off DHCS like you said and yes i was able to surf the net like that but i was not able to log onto MSN Messenger and Paltalk which are 2 of my other main chat devices. As far as MIRC goes once again i have autokills so i don't know how it's going to work on that today because of it. but regardless if it does work better on MIRC because of disabling DHCS,then it's going to have to be an issue of MSN and Paltalk. So either i have problems with MIRC with DHCS on or i have problems with MSN with DHCS off. hmmm but i'll look up something on the others but anyway i'll try it again tomorrow once auto kills are gone.

Paul

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
Quote:
Your router usually will not change your computers *internal* IP address... it is usually going to be static unless you change it in the router's settings.

Check out portforward.com for help with setting your specific router up.

OR you turn off the router or reboot the router, I use a linksys with 1 static LAN ip on my linux box and 2 dynamic LAN ip's for 2 winxp machines. The dynamics will change but the linux doesnt. IF paulgr is using dhcp on his windows pc and also has the dhcp server turned on in the router config then his LAN ip could be anything from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255 (depending how it is setup) Also you have to save every change before changing option pages in the router config.
Fire

True, to a point. You usually end up with the same internal IP after rebooting the router, even on DHCP, on the host computer. After that, if the computers are all started in the same order on the network, they tend to stay with the same IPs. Yes, you can make it static... just mentioning that static isn't really necessary unless you have a lot of computers... 1-3 isn't going to be a problem 9/10 times.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
F
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
F
paul lets face facts here, I know a few folks who use comcast and dont have problems, you are trying to set up an fserve (for what reason I dont know). And you havent even got the router sorted out yet! Please follow some advice, instead of trying to run (fserve) learn to walk first. Setting up a linksys router is as easy as falling asleep, you dont need the handbook or any cd it is all there in the options even a help file is included (depending on the model of your router).
Anyhow forget anything to do with comcast go to http://192.168.1.1 (using your browser) It will then ask you for a username and password. Unless you have alterd these they will be the default. (NEVER ever give out these to anyone) and basically thats it all the help etc etc will be there all you need to know is what ports to forward (see portforward.com for more info)

Good luck

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
well first of all i think i learned to walk 8 years ago. i'm not a novice at the net. hehe. 2ndly as i mentioned before port forward only helps on a couple of things. not 100%. you have to realize that what it says on your end,doesn;t mean that is what it says on my end. i'm not mad or anything but i go through this a lot in different help departments for different programs. I say "here's my problem" the response is "ok here's what you do" my response after i did it "well i did it but it doesn't seem to be working" the response 9 times out of 10 is "you didn't do what i asked" the first words of my reply was "well i did it" so how could i not do it? and 3rdly,the comment on the FServe where you said "forget the FServe" well as i mentioned before i was on 56k and on regular cable modem before i had wireless and my fserve always worked and i always got in it unless there was some kind of channel problems. At this point,all i can say is today after only one attempt i got in MIRC but i went back to DHCP so i don't know. Anyway,If i have any more problems,i'll let you know.

F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Quote:
just mentioning that static isn't really necessary unless you have a lot of computers... 1-3 isn't going to be a problem 9/10 times.

That depends on the router, and sometimes on the version of the firmware in the router. Some routers will not forward ports to leased addresses (which makes sense unless the user is aware that he must always boot the computers in the same order). I can't give you a definitive list (I don't own every router), but Linksys and D-Link seem to have done this, at least with some firmware versions.

That's why the general rule of thumb on PortForward is to use static IPs for any computers that will have ports forwarded - it eliminates one possible problem and doesn't cause any.

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
well i wish it worked. i'm constantly getting autokills and i'm getting frustrated with that as well.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard