mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
L
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
L
Is there any way to program mIRC to close tabs with a middle click (scroll button) like you can do with tabs in firefox? Double click would be nice too...

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
I dont think mirc should alter the behavior of mouse buttons at all. Most mice with extra buttons and scroll wheels allow use configuration of what they do, mirc should not overide this. And tbh, neither should firefox.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
Most mice with extra buttons and stuff come with software that allows you select a function for each button; one of the choices is "default", meaning that it will do whatever it would do by default in Windows (this really only applies to the usual middle button/wheel; there isn't any 'default' function for extra buttons). The default operation of the middle button is certainly (meant to be) programmable. If "default" isn't selected in the mouse software though, mirc (or firefox etc) has no control over the button, so there really is no problem. Middle click customization is in fact a very popular feature in many programs.

/.timerQ 1 0 echo /.timerQ 1 0 $timer(Q).com
S
Babel fish
Babel fish
S
I agree. in right handded configuration, left is select, right is context menu, and middle is program spicific. I have seen no standard from microsoft or any linux distro to define default actions for the middle mouse button. Apple gets no say on standards beacuse they break them every chance they get.

The middle mouse/scroll button should be programed to your hearts content. though..i would prefer that this be handeled in scripting.

Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
By 'default' I meant the WM_MBUTTONDOWN message posted to a window when the user middleclicks. On most standard win32 controls that have a scrollbar, including mirc dialog listboxes for example, the result is the appearance of the scroll disc (allowing to scroll up/down moving the mouse).

/.timerQ 1 0 echo /.timerQ 1 0 $timer(Q).com
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
also it doesn't really alter the behaviour at all... just expanding. middle clicking (that is: pushing button that has the 'middle button' action) over a tab would normally have no action at all so giving that the ability to close the tab shouldn't really be a problem for any functions the mouse might have.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
I guess i was replying on the assumption that the over ride was regardless of its outside setting. ie: over ride somebody's configured function. However i suppose when configured to use defaults program specific customisation is useful. Especially since the default autoscroll is of little use in the majority of mirc.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
J
Jae Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
J
Quote:
close tabs with a middle click (scroll button)

there's always the age old problem of is for example you have server notices show in a custom window.. or for some reason windows are created higher in the switchbar.. then if you goto say close a channel or query using Shift+LeftClick then you could end up closing something you didnt mean to close.. anyone else ever had this problem? i oculdnt see anything in search.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
the way I've worked my mouse is the middle button (scroll wheel) is set up in the software to be a double click. Then in mirc, I just set my double click responses in mirc's options

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it

Link Copied to Clipboard