Print Thread
#159513 18/09/06 02:28 AM
P
pouncer Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
P
i use networks like buzzen and phreikchat, so i need some way of detecting scripts so i can kick scripts

im not sure but like version or FINGER check?
can anyone help please?

#159514 18/09/06 03:36 AM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Hrm, i dunno if it's possible to kick a somescript.mrc file that someone else is using. But if you get fingered, you can block their finger, or you can poke them back.

#159515 18/09/06 04:37 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
the only thing I can think of is a version checker where if it gives an answer OTHER than mirc's default answer, you kick them. Of course, you could also look for multiple answers which is guaranteed to be a scripted version of mirc in some way shape or form

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
#159516 18/09/06 08:17 AM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
it wont work for everyone, anyone with a good scripting knowledge, well even a mild one well know how to eliminate there scrips version replies.

#159517 18/09/06 03:49 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
yes true, but that would certainly help and let's face it, many script writes enjoy bragging about their prowess and either script an additional script reply or change mirc's default reply. At least that is how it USED to be .

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
#159518 18/09/06 04:27 PM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Not to mention the fact that mirc isn't the only irc chat client. If someone is using something other than mirc, and you version them and it says like pirch, xchat etc... and you kick them just because it doesn't say mIRC anywhere in the version.
Quote:
so i need some way of detecting scripts so i can kick scripts

That to me makes no sense, which is the reason for my previous silly answer earlier frown. A script is mirc code, saved as a text file and loaded into mirc when it's started up. I know a lot of people go around making script files saving it with mirc and call it a script that people download. I still don't fully understand why it's called a script, when all it is the mirc program and some files someone else made.

The only way you could actually detect script is if you gave everyone that joined your channel a trojan or a virus that would leech onto their computer and report back to you which .mrc or .ini files they are using in their mirc. If it finds a "script" file like myversionreply.mrc, you could kick them. I've changed my mIRC version reply a dozen ways before, even to match other irc chat clients.

Oh yeah, I've been irc chatting for 8 years and I still to this day don't know what the FINGER's purpose is. When we'd play around with it, it would just show you fingered someone. It would show nothing that was actual information that was useful frown Making CTCP events is fun though.

Quote:

yes true, but that would certainly help and let's face it, many script writes enjoy bragging about their prowess and either script an additional script reply or change mirc's default reply. At least that is how it USED to be .

Ain't that the truth smile. Now days we don't even care what our version reply says. I leave mine at default, I use to think it was a big deal changing it but that got old fast. Plus mIRC is a great program, no need to hide it's version reply cuz everytime someone versions you, and they see mIRC and they don't know what it is, they check it out. It's advertizing. I remember when Khaled stuck in the program "so you want to change the version reply huh? smile" which was inside the actual code of the program. That was funny.

#159519 18/09/06 06:54 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
the finger is archaic legacy capacity to have your project or contact details in a reply that others could get that info with out you needing to type it out each time someone wanted your info

this goes back to when people using IRC were mostly professionals students and military

think of it like a sig file in your email or usenet program

#159520 18/09/06 08:24 PM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Oh, that makes sense. I just thought it was some form of chat humor like giving someone the finger smile. As you can tell I've never really much ran across it during chat all this time. Thanks.

Link Copied to Clipboard