Print Thread
#158246 02/09/06 07:07 PM
A
Alex01 Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
A
Ran into this when I was trying to make an amsg-similar alias that sent a message to some of the open channels.

Straight to the point.
When I type /msg #a sometext, mIRC sends the text to the channel.
When I type /msg #a,#b sometext, mIRC sends the text to both the channels alright, but gives me no indication that it did. The message doesn't appear in the channel windows, nor does it echo anything in the status window. The only way to know that the message is indeed sent is to open a debug window or join the channels with another instance of mIRC. smile

Tested on a 'naked' mIRC 6.2.

#158247 05/09/06 11:56 AM
J
Jae Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
J
it would be the same with /msg nick,nick2,..,etc. message

#158248 14/09/06 10:58 AM
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
This is not really a bug. mIRC does not show your message in #a and #b when you type "/msg #a,#b hello" because that is a server-side way to message multiple channels at a time, not a client-side way. When you type #a,#b as the target, the server takes each token separated by a comma and sends the specified message to each channel. mIRC cannot know to which channels the message was actually sent, because the client never gets a reply from a server when a message was sent (this is the reason that ON TEXT event does not trigger for yourself). mIRC can't just assume that when you type "/msg #a,#b hello", the message was sent to #a and #b, because there might be some server that does not support more targets at a time, or there might be some servers that support only 10 targets at a time, and by typing 11 targets mIRC won't know whether the message was sent an all channels or not.

Link Copied to Clipboard