mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
A
arcooke Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
A
I know this sounds like a huge request, but it also sounds like it could be a huge success.

Would it be possible to have mIRC sort of "embedded" inside a tab in Firefox in the form of an extension? All of mIRC could be contained in one tab in Firefox. The basic layout could maintain the same structure (main window, nickname list, server/channel button bar, etc), but it would just be placed inside Firefox.

What would the purpose of this be? Well, quite simply to just integrate things together into one, neat little package. The less programs I have running, the happier I am. I constantly switch back and forth between IRC and my browser... and I just think it would be really cool to have it all in one place.

Clicking links in mIRC would just open new tabs in FF.

What do you think?

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
This wouldn't make you have any less programs running, and what would be the advantage of using ctrl+tab over alt+tab?

I guess i really dont see the point.

If you want irc in your browser use a web based client... ?

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
I too see absolutely no point in this. For one, you're -always- going to be switching between your "browser" and mIRC, even if it WAS contained in a tab, you'd -still- have to change tabs to go back to what you were browsing.

I believe firefox already has an addon for IRCing. https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=16&vid=999

Sure, it's not mIRC. But nevertheless, it's still IRC in a tab.

Enjoy.

X
x64 Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
X
The bad thing about this idea is that would bring together all the leet people that use mIRC, and all the people that *think* they're leet because they use OMG FIERFOX instead of "stoopid micro$oft produkts".

If this feature suggestion didn't completely suck balls, it would be 20 times better to do it as an IE plugin because then it could be used in places like the taskbar or in shell windows, not just browser windows. Places where it would actually make sense to have an IRC client (not just in a seperate tab to a browser window)

Last edited by x64; 21/08/06 01:32 PM.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
It wouldn't make sense to have an IRC client in the taskbar or shell windows, so I don't see how an Explorer plugin would be any more valid than what he's suggesting. Especially seeing as we're (allegedly) only months away from Vista & IE7 being released which will completely separate IE and Explorer, in which case there'd be no sense having an IRC client just in the GUI shell, and no real sense having it inside a web browser (IE or Firefox).

There's no need to bring a Firefox vs. IE debate into this either. It's petty and stupid.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
If you would have suggested FF embedded into mIRC I would have given you high five =)

Right now like other people have said I see no point why IRC client should be embedded into web browser.

After all usually you follow links given in conversation in IRC, not chat links found while browsing.

So it will be handy if the website opens in new window inside mIRC. (And yes, I know it can be done with dll)

---

But.
To be honest, my personal preference is to use Browser for browsing and IRC client for chatting. (Universal things tend to fail.)

echo -a $signature
M
Babel fish
Babel fish
M
Rand said:
Quote:
But nevertheless, it's still IRC in a tab.

The ability to run that irc client in a tab in Firefox will no longer work unless you modify the .xpi installer beforehand (given example puts it in the sidebar, disregard the telnet part of instructions), and it relies on accessing a chrome:// url with escalated privileges which is a bug that once fixed will prevent this method working at all.

J
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
J
The main use I see for this feature would be centralization: combining on screen information that Firefox already provides through a world of extensions with mIRC's great functionality and capability. So, it is useful, but unfortunately, not practical for the amount of effort required. It is also not even feasible from a programming point of view without recreating mIRC from the ground up. Embedding certain "desktop" windows into Firefox might be another story though... that would be interesting.

R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
Then search for another IRC Firefox addon?

I seen a couple. Unless you're saying each and every one of them is broken. I only posted that link as an example. The link itself I found via google.

Link Copied to Clipboard