Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hixxy Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
H
When either the treebar or switchbar is enabled, mIRC stalls for a second or so when connecting and joining. This didn't happen on previous versions, so I assume it can be fixed.

Depending on connection speed and/or pc specs it might take different amounts of servers to connect to and channels to join, but for me I join 3 networks, 4 channels one the first network, 3 on the second and 1 on the third.

I have a /servers alias which connects me to multiple networks, joins channels, identifies to nicks, ops me using various bots, etc, so it triggers a whole chain of events. If you can't reproduce the problem I can give you the code I have in a pm/email. I'd rather not post it publicly.

P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Hmm. I did a few simple.. /server <addr> -j #about-3-channels .. commands to test this, one in a clean 6.2 and 6.17 client, I used three different servers with 3, 4, and 2 channels. I was unable to notice any stalls when all servers connected. I also tryed using "Rejoin on connect" option with the same results?

It may be caused by your system. (Pending on the specs. of it), possibly that may execute (if any), or possibly an on Connect event stalling mIRC? It may be because of a while loop you might have?

Live to Dream & Dream for Life
H
hixxy Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
H
I will edit all of my personal info out of the script and change channel names, then post it here.

I don't think it's my pc specs.. 3.4ghz, 2gb ram.

Code:
alias servers {
  server irc.server1.org
  server -m irc.server2.net
  server -m irc.server3.org -j #chan1
}

on *:join:#:{
  if ($nick == $me) {
    if ($network == server2) {
      if ($chan == #chan3) { .notice bot !identify ******* }
    }
    elseif ($network == server1) {
      if ($chan == #chan1) { .msg bot op $chan }
    }
  }
}
on ^*:notice:*:?:{
    if ($nick == bot) {
      if (Identification accepted. * iswm $1-) { 
        .notice bot !voiceme
        haltdef
      }
    }
    if ($nick == nickserv) {
      if (Password accepted for ?*. iswm $1-) { 
        join #chan1,#chan2,#chan3 
        haltdef
      }
    }
  }
    if ($nick == bot) {
      if (AUTHENTICATION SUCCESSFUL as ?* iswm $1-) {
        mode $me +x
        join #chan1,#chan2,#chan3,#chan4
        haltdef
      }
    }
  }
}
on *:notify:{
    if ($nick == nickserv) {
      if (r !isincs $usermode) {
        if ($me != $mnick) { nick $v2 }
        nickserv identify *********
      }
    }
  }
    if ($nick == bot) {
      if (*!*@*.users.server1.org !iswm $address($me,5)) { .msg bot@channels.server1.org login ***** ************ }
    }
  }
}

No loops.

F
Babel fish
Babel fish
F
maybe u have the reload logs on open setting turned on??? that can make it halt up for a few secs when u join a chan, as for it starting just now, maybe something was changed as to how mirc loads the logs in 2.0.

known on irc as MrStonedOne
read my full post before replying or dont reply. tl;dr isn't allowed here
H
hixxy Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
H
I don't.

X
x64 Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
X
Try turning off your antivirus temporarily. Some antivirii tools will queue "file open" events until it can check the files, and mirc wont open the window until it opens the log file it's going to write to.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This is by design, mIRC won't immediately re-connect to a server, it will wait around one second and then connect. For example, if you are already connected to a server and type "/server" and press enter, mIRC will disconnect, pause a moment, and then connect again.

H
hixxy Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
H
I don't mean when I disconnect, I mean when I just open mIRC then connect to different servers and join different channels on each one mIRC will pause for a second or two in the middle of it all. With my specific setup it usually tends to be that two channel windows will open up on the treebar, then it'll pause, and then the rest will open.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you open up a /debug @debug window to monitor incoming and outgoing messages, does it look like a server delay?

H
hixxy Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
H
I opened one window for each connection and the only pauses they get is one where it says * Connecting to <server> and another while waiting for an ident response.

Everything runs smoothly after that in the debug windows.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I can't think of any reason why you would see any pauses in that case, other than the usual pauses associated with resolving and connecting to an address.

D
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
D
i had something similar to me happen in the past. the reason for it was a slow response from the identd server. you're likely connecting to a server that either requires an identd response, or has like a 3 or so second timeout on the identd response. the culprit could be either the identd in mirc itself, some other identd taking over mirc's, or you might not have the port forwarded or something like that.

those would be my guesses anyway.

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Now that i think about it and watch it, i also notice the pause. Although i havn't had a chance to fiddle with the setup (how the joins are done.. perform, fav, script, etc) to try and determine the root. But indeed on some networks i notice that once it has connected it will join one or two channels, then seemingly pause for maybe a second, then join any other channels. Occurs on non 6.2 for me also.

Is there any difference in the method used to join some channels than others (ie some in perform, some in script, some in favs). I think i recall that there is also an intended delay between things like connect,perform,favs,script.

Could this be caused by some kind of internal message que in mirc, or even a similar message processing que on the server side?

Also just to clarify, probably a more appropriate word than pause would be delay, since i experience no program pausing.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
H
hixxy Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
H
I called it a pause because I had assumed the program became unresponsive for a second or so but I don't have enough time to check that, so yeah, let's call it a delay.

Anyway, I never noticed it on other versions and back then I joined an extra network and about 4 extra channels.

H
hixxy Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
H
Could it be a GUI problem? I experience no delay if I hide the treebar.

I have just the treebar open, but a friend of mine says he experiences it with either the treebar or switchbar open. I haven't tried the switchbar.

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
I used to get a delay when connecting to a remote IRC server. The delay occurred when the server asked for an identd response. To begin with, my identd response was handled by mIRC, and there was a delay of a few seconds when connecting. A short while later, I built a BSD firewall and enabled an identd server on it. After the firewall started replying to identd requests, I could connect to remote servers with no noticable delay (after typing the /server command, the display would flow non-stop to the end of the motd). A while later, I started running my own IRC server, and when I connect to it locally, the delay returned (waiting for identd).

My guess is that the delay is caused by either mIRC's internal identd response system, or something related to windows itself.

-genius_at_work

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
It occurs after the connection is already complete (identd already replied to).

The delay when using mircs internal identd server is likely caused by it having to start the service before replying, the close it again.

"Allen is having a small problem and needs help adjusting his attitude" - Flutterby
J
Jae Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
J
I am on anything from 5 to 10 networks at any time
i have a freezing problem on disconnect mIRC (when internet connection drops / or brownout and the modem resets), mIRC stops responding entirely for a period of time from 1-10 seconds.
I found it even crashed one time when everything tried to disconnect when i had changed my LAN's ip addresses (as it had bound the main to the wrong main ip)
... altho im not sure if i reported in bugs i might have to have a look when i have a little more time up my sleeves.

J
Jae Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
J
Quote:
It occurs after the connection is already complete (identd already replied to).

looking an instance where my mirc seems to stall,
doing /debug @debug it seems that it is the server that mIRC is waiting to respond before it does anything. perhaps you should check debug?

H
hixxy Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
H
If mIRC is waiting for something, it has to be on a different server, because it joins 2 channels, waits a second or and so and then joins the other two, even though I have all four channels in a single /join. If mIRC is waiting for an identd respond, or just to start the connection process it has to be on another socket.

I did notice this only seems to happen if I start connecting to all 3 servers at around the same time. If one takes longer to lookup the server and one of them starts going ahead, it rarely freezes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard