mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
_
_killah Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
_
This, as stated in the help file, should not be possible.

But it still is. Is this considered as a bug and if so, should i report it?

Regards

The Darkness has eyes and they are mine. >.<
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
How do you go about hiding the default version reply?

-genius_at_work

V
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
V
You know what? He's right, i've never got around to mentioning this myself but it can be done with a few lines of code, i'll ask about.
I used to have it before i formatted.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Are you refering to the old /debug method? If so, I believe that was already patched.

-KingTomato
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
No, it hasn't. Besides, it's not a bug, therefore there's no need to "patch" it.

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
It should be patched or the note should be removed from the help file. /help ctcp events:

Quote:
Note: You can't prevent the standard version reply from being sent.

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
Quote:
Changing a standard CTCP reply

ctcp 1:ping:?:/notice $nick Ouch! | /halt

This will react to the standard ping CTCP and will reply with "Ouch!". The /halt at the end of the line prevents the standard ping reply from being sent. If you don't use the /halt, the standard reply to PING will be sent.

ctcp 1:time:?:/notice $nick The time here is around $time | /halt

This will react to the standard time CTCP and will reply with the above message. Again, the /halt prevents the standard time reply from being sent.

Note: You can't prevent the standard version reply from being sent.

Taking into account the context under which that note exists, I have always assumed that it reffers to the method described there. I've always read it like:

"Note: You can't prevent the standard version reply from being sent [with this method]."

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Same here. Pedants won't though :tongue:

Z
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Z
The only way to change the mIRC standart ctcp version reply, AFAIK, is not by mIRC scripting, if you know what I mean wink

This is not allowed, though, and should not be done. Why would you want it to change?? Just add yours to it =)

"All we are saying is give peace a chance" -- John Lennon
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
It can be changed with scripting. I won't go into details though.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Have you read the mIRC license agreement? You have implicit restriction on changing the version reply. That being said, this workaround should be classified as something requiring patching.

-KingTomato
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
Quote:
License Agreement

mIRC® v6.2 Internet Relay Chat Client
Copyright © 1995-2006 mIRC Co. Ltd.
All Rights Reserved.

mIRC is shareware, which means that you can try it out freely for 30 days to evaluate it. If during, or at the end of, the evaluation period you decide that you would like to continue using mIRC, you must register your copy. Your single-user registration will license you to continue using your copy of mIRC.

mIRC can be registered through the How To Register page on the mIRC website.

If you would like to distribute mIRC as part of a magazine, book, cd-rom, website, or any other form of distribution, please email khaled@mirc.com for written authorization.

mIRC may only be distributed as the original distribution install file as distributed by mIRC Co. Ltd. The mIRC distribution install file may not be distributed as a part of any package, and may not have files added to it or removed from it, and none of its contents may be modified, decompiled, or reverse engineered.

mIRC is provided AS IS without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall mIRC Co. Ltd. be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages, even if mIRC Co. Ltd. has been advised of the possibility of such damages.

mIRC is a registered trademark of mIRC Co. Ltd.

The mIRC Logo is a trademark of mIRC Co. Ltd.

Huh? Did you dream that or something?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Perhaps I did reference that inappropriatly, but the fact remains: mIRC limits your ability to remove the CTCP reply for version (via CTCP methods and states clearly in the help file and FAQ that it is not to be removed), and still you continue to argue your point.

I'm done, I'm not going to get in to a contest of who's right and wrong. Just know it was not *intended* to be allowed.

-KingTomato
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
Of course you're done.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Personally I think everything is as it should be.

The help file says "Note: You can't prevent the standard version reply from being sent."
and the Faq says "There is ONE exception to this ... you cant hide your mIRC version reply.... We like the advertisement, you know.... "

And I agree, "IF" you get/accept a CTCP VERSION from someone you cant stop it. But of course thats IF you accept the CTCP VERSION from them <grin> And i think we both know how to not accept it, and is that not our right to choose who we respond to and who we dont!

Link Copied to Clipboard