mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
H
hiei Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
H
i have windows xp. for some reason, when i tried downloading version 6.03 and log onto a server i would always get the message:*
Connect retry #1 66.154.83.51 (6667)
-
* Unable to connect (Connection refused)

also for some reason, the only version of mirc that doesn't do this is version 6.02. if someone would help me out i would be grateful for life. if i ever get version 6.03 working i can help share files. grin

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
That message means there is no IRC server active (receiving connections) on that IP and port. It has nothing to do with mIRC's version.

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
The message you're getting usually means that the server is full. Just try a different server. Like Hammer said, it's nothing to do with which version of mIRC you're using - just a co-incidence smile

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.
wyx Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
like hammer said on my tread
most user is used 6667 so
maybe tousand user connect to this port
so if we lucky we just got
* Unable to connect (Connection refused)

but its true using 6.03 to cennect to port 6667 is more difficult than used version 5.xx cool

-= Win 95 Virusses =-
-= Try To Infecting Virus =-
D
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
D
It should have nothing to do with the version of mIRC that you're using. Likely, the server/network itself has become more popular.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
W
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
W
Also discussed in this thread smile

Wiggle

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
"Connection refused" literally means that there is no server (of whichever protocol is being used: telnetd, sshd, ircd, ftpd) monitoring that port on that IP address. There might be an actual computer that's handling that IP address, but the process (server daemon) you are trying to connect to is simply not running. When you see "Connection timed out," you can't really tell if the process is running or if your routing to that server is just so slow that you can't get connected before the connection attempt gives up.

If the server is full, then you will be able to connect (and you can watch it Finding your hostname and perhaps checking for your ident), only to get an ERROR message telling you "No more connections allowed on this connection class" or "I:line full" or "Server is full." These are completely different scenarios. If I am running my ircd, connect to it and the server is full, I get the second message. If I kill the ircd process from the shell or /die it as an IRC Operator on that server, now the ircd itself is no longer running and attempting to connect will give me the "Connection refused" message.

Note that "Connection refused" is not an ERROR message from the server; it is a response at the TCP level, much like "Connection reset by peer" or "Software caused connection abort" messages.

DALnet: #HelpDesk and #m[color:#FF0000]IR[color:#EEEE00]C

Link Copied to Clipboard