Print Thread
M
MDA Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
M
Greetings,

With the sweeping popularity of the duo core processors such as AMD's and Intell, the full true 64 bit operating systems are going to really provide alot of exciting enhancements to desktop computing.

I would suggest that a full 64 bit version of mirc.exe be made availiable for those using 64 bit operating systems now.

P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
I believe this has been suggested before?

It would benice though if mIRC had download options for an 32bit mIRC and a 64bit mIRC...

But then again.. I believe it was once said mIRC won't be made for any other operating systems besides Windows. (32bit)

Live to Dream & Dream for Life
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Well I'm sure it'll be made for 64-bit versions eventually (assuming mIRC's development continues that long), but seeing as there's no 64-bit version of Windows for the home user yet I think it's a bit premature to be asking for it.

I mean right now, what's the point? What difference do you think there'll be between a 32-bit version of mIRC and a 64-bit one? The 64-bit processors/OSes we're talking about are all capable of running 32-bit code, and they're all far beyond the required capabilities to make mIRC run smoothly so there's no performance issue to solve. Off the top of my head I can't think of any area of mIRC where 64-bit code would bring an obvious advantage.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a 64-bit version of mIRC. I just don't think it's anywhere near the time for it.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I am running V6.17 on an AMD Turion 64 and mIRC works fine on it.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
there have been reports of people who were having problems which was likely caused by some leftover legacy 16bit code...

I wonder how much of that is still left in mIRC

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!
I
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
I
I think it would be more advantageous to redo the threading structure of Mirc to make it multithreaded (and possibly dual core aware) than just making it 64 bit. The only real advantage you might get from just making it 64bit would be variables that hold more or something, the real power of modern processors is multicore (which requires (if I'm not wrong) multi threading) And I think it will be a very long time before mirc becomes multithreaded (short of some dlls that claim to add this to mirc).

Link Copied to Clipboard