Print Thread
#151973 25/06/06 06:20 AM
N
NathanM Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
N
Hello. Before I start explaining my problem, I'd like to note that I have looked for solutions to this problem and found nothing that could help me. This all started about 24 hours ago. I was on two different IRC servers and was randomly disconnected. Upon trying to reconnect, both servers gave the error:

-
* Unable to connect to server (Connection refused)
-

I thought I was just having a temporary problem, but it hasn't worked since. I have tried every server I can think of, and with different ports, but all attempts have failed. I've also tried connection to the IP address of the servers instead of their names; this also didn't work.

It's also noteworthy that I tried connecting on a different client, called Xchat, and it gave me the same "connection refused" error as mIRC. However, I used a Java client to connect to IRC and it worked. I also reinstalled mIRC, but that didn't help either. The strangest thing about it is that it happened randomly, unprovoked. I was simply chatting and was disconnected, and now this happens. I hadn't played with any mIRC settings or anything.

My internet connection is DirecWAY (now known as HughesNet, satellite internet, sucks big time, I know), and I have been using mIRC with it for over 10 months (the amount of time I've had this crappy connection). I have never had any problems such as this.

All firewalls (ZoneAlarm and Windows) are disabled, and actually weren't even active when this problem occurred, but they both work with mIRC fine, so rule that out. However, my modem has a built-in firewall that is unmodifyable as far as I know. I have tried to find ways to modify/disable it, but found none, which leads me to believe it's impossible. I don't see how this can be the problem, it's never given me problems before (except with BitTorrent, but that's a different subject).

Anyway, I am not sure how much more detail I can put into this. I would really appreciate any help suggestions anyone has, as I use mIRC constantly and it's extremely inconvenient not having it.

Edit: Oh, I'm also on Windows XP Home SP2.

Last edited by NathanM; 25/06/06 06:22 AM.
D
D
you dont tell what type of ip u have static or dyn never mind try this simple thigs maybe its works >
1) clear ur cookies and temp files
2) run > cmd > ipconfig /flushdns
and try to connect if not works try ghost surf program and u will see in this program inside install mirc just install it and work in program ip and port ip is like 127.0.0.1 port 1712 am not sure of the port good luck

N
NathanM Offline OP
OP Offline
N
No dice, unfortunately. I plan on trying this on another computer sometime soon. That should verify if it's a computer problem or my ISP being a bitch.

F
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
F
Which network are you trying to connect to? Some networks will only allow Java connections.

Fire

N
NathanM Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Read my post more throughly. I have been using mIRC with these servers on this connection for over 10 months, and after I got this error, I can't connect to any server with an IRC client exempting Java (well, any that I've tested).

F
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
F
ok ok ok lets try this again.... Which network are you trying to connect to? maybe someone else reading your post will try or even have more information of the network< sorry but the batteries on my crystal ball need charging so try and give more info.
Oh and have you asked in the network help chan? seeing as you can connect via a java client I would have thought they may be able to help

N
NathanM Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I've tried connecting to over 15 different servers, and on several I tried several different ports and even the IPs of the servers. No dice.

I am going to test this on a friend's computer whenever he can come over. If it happens on his computer, it's obviously my pos firewall built into my DW6000 modem. If so, I'm going to have to call DirecWAY and probably be pretty pissed off.

I will still check for any suggestions though and I'll bump this whenever I test that.

R
R
I'm having an issue similar to this. I just downloaded mIRC but I've been using other IRC clients for a while and they've worked fine. I just haven't liked them. I entered all the information correctly and I lowered my firewalls. It still won't connect. I've tried the IP, I've tried other servers, nothing is connecting. I can get on chatzilla, but not mIRC. Nobody has been able to help me figure it out. I'm going nuts.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
As mentioned earlier, knowing what network you're having this problem with would help, as the person trying to assist you will be able to try various options until one is found to work, then that working option can be posted, rather than having a long list of possibilities that might/don't work.

N
NathanM Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I am pretty confused. I have solved the problem. It was ZoneAlarm. However, the weird part is, ZoneAlarm wasn't running. I hadn't been running it for the past few days. However, I just turned it back on and I connected to IRC. Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

R
R
The network to which I am trying to connect is IRCStorm but I've tried several other networks, including Quakenet, EFnet, Coolchat, ChatUniverse, ChatNet, DeviantArt, FunNet, Psycholand, and Psychonet. Nothing. On every network it's the same.

* Connecting to irc.IRCStorm.net (6667)
-

Like I said, I'm able to connect fine on other clients, but I don't really like them all that much.

R
R
Also, in the Identd tab on the Connect folder in Options, it says System: UNIX. I'm not exactly familiar with what UNIX is, whether it's an operating system or what exactly. I am running WinXP Media Edition, and I searched my computer and found nothing related to UNIX except something in a Paint Shop Pro folder, which I doubt is related to it. Is this relevent at all to the problem?

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
No, while Unix IS an operating system, in this case I believe it refers to the method more than the OS. I have that same entry (Unix) in mine and I've been running MS OSes since being online and never had a conflict there.

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
R
R
I've still got nothing. I don't get it, I can connect fine on other clients, but something's not letting me on mIRC. Should I uninstall it and try again?

R
R
Okay, update. I uninstalled everything, then downloaded and installed it all again. This time the only thing I messed with in the options was the first tab that comes up. I put in all lower case, my name, my email, and two handles. I chose some networks, some servers, all at random, anything I could. Still nothing. I just plain can't connect. Every time I try, I get the same thing.

* Connecting to us.quakenet.org (6667)
-
-
* Connect retry #1 216.32.207.140 (6667)
-
-
* Connecting to irc.quakenet.org (6669)
-
-
* Connecting to irc.chatnet.org (6664)
-
-
* Connecting to irc.chatnet.org (6668)
-
-
* Connecting to irc.webchat.org (7000)
-

I'm pulling my hair out. Not literally. Not that it matters. But yeah, I'm so frustrated and confused... nothing's working.

R
R
Problem solved. Norton sucks.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
interesting. I've been using Norton for years without any problems.

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
I had a similar problem with Norton a while back. The AV program had crashed, and all internet traffic was blocked (either intentionally or accidentally). It looked like the AV was still running, but when I went to open Norton from the taskbar icon, it brought up a windows error. After rebooting my PC, the problem was fixed.

-genius_at_work

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
wow, never had that problem but my mother in law is having issues and has norton installed. I wonder if shutting down norton would fix it. Something to ponder

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
Well, honestly, I removed Norton completely because it was such a resource hog. And after I installed AVG, it found a bunch of mild infected files that Norton had missed.

-genius_at_work

Link Copied to Clipboard