Print Thread
#151635 20/06/06 01:54 AM
M
Mitty Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
M
I keep getting a Trojan backdoor virus everytime I use mIRC. I reloaded it last night and regardless it still gives it to me. The name that Spysweeper keeps picking up is called file trojan-backdoor-flood.mirc . Can someone help?

Last edited by Mitty; 20/06/06 01:54 AM.
#151636 20/06/06 02:33 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Spysweeper, which is a spyware detector, not an anti-virus program, is detecting the fact that mIRC has scripting capabilities. I'm not 100% familiar with that program, so I'm going to recommend that you:
A) ensure that your spyware definitions are up-to-date (they should be more recent than the release date for mIRC 6.17).
B) rescan your system with the updated definitions and see if mIRC (or any other program) is still being caught.
C) if mIRC is still being detected, go through the settings (might need the help file for Spysweeper also) and locate the area where you can specify programs to be ignored.
D) if you can't find this area, refer to the Spysweeper webpage for assistance.
E) if (worst case scenario that I'm able to think of at this time) Spysweeper does not have an option for that, look into getting a different spyware program (there's lots of them out there)

#151637 21/06/06 01:20 AM
H
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
H
Hey, I'm having this same problem. But I've been using Spysweeper for over a month and did sweeps daily and never had this problem until a few days ago. I've uninstalled and reinstalled many times, even trying other IRC clients and everytime I run an IRC client and then check Spysweeper, that virus is always back. Any suggestions?

#151638 21/06/06 08:22 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
hiimbored, it SOUNDS like a false positive. We've seen many posts talk about that kind of thing. That's not to say this IS one, that's to say this COULD be one. Have you tried scanning your system with any other program?

To both you and the original poster, try the thread in the Connection Issues Forum marked AntiVirus & firewall resources by CLICKING ME for more info on other scanners. This link is a sticky post on the board and will take you right there smile

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
#151639 27/06/06 05:10 PM
C
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
C
Have same problem....Spy Sweeper people tentatively think this is a false positive. I notice that when it happens, Norton Registry sweep usually finds two incorrect file extensions:
.cha and .chat for "chat file". I don't know enough to know if that is meaningful or a clue to what is happening. Norton removes the two but they are back soon as MIRC opens, even if you close it almost instantly. Ideas?

#151640 27/06/06 06:12 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
The last time I saw a .cha or .chat was when I had Pirch98 intalled in my system. it (IIRC) was the extensions used to log chats vs the .log extension. I was unaware that mirc used the .cha* extensions

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
#151641 14/07/06 11:13 AM
M
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
M
Hello,

Your problem is actually related to a bug with Spy Sweeper's new method for updating the definitions -- the items being detected by the program aren't actually present on your computer.

This problem has a pretty easy fix. All you need to do is open Spy Sweeper, click the Home button, then hold down the Ctrl and Alt keys on your keyboard while double-clicking the Spy Sweeper icon. Doing so will bring up a small menu of additional support buttons. One of these buttons is labeled Download Full definitions. Click this button and let the definitions fully download. After doing this, you should be able to successfully sweep your system again.

Link Copied to Clipboard