Print Thread
#149571 20/05/06 11:05 PM
D
Dharion Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
Would be nice to get colored text in the remote to see if you closed all brackets etc...
kinda like they have for php and such (see firefox "view code" page and textpad)

example;

Code:
[color:red]on *:TEXT*:#:{[/color] 
[color:blue]  if %blub = f00 {[/color] 
[color:green]    msg $chan whatever[/color] 
[color:blue]  }[/color] 
[color:red]}[/color] 

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
its just a text editor dude, were lucky it even indents code, try pushing the {} button for bracket checking.

D
Dharion Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
gorsh .... -_-

that doesnt check ( ) "" etc so thanks for being a smartass without understanding the point here.

I code scripts that exceed 2000-5000 lines in 1 script...
then it get kinda annoying if you need to search one () that went wrong.
As said before, check textpad and firefox for their color coding system.

Ohw and ... textpad is also "JUST" a text editor ....

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
that doesnt check ( ) "" etc so thanks for being a smartass without understanding the point here.

Maybe if you spent less time abusing people and more time thinking about points you might come to the conclusion that mirc is here to use the scripts, not as a development platform, this has been made pretty clear over and over, I myself have asked about additions to it before none ever appear.

And the number of lines you write in a script doesnt mean anything, the result of that many lines is what a script should be based on, i have seen stuff thats uses 1000's of lines and still gets little to nothing done, finding an error in those types of messes is a waste of time and energy while a well set out 10k lines script well take a few mins at best to correct any error what so ever.

As for checking the other apps you mention, why would I? If you say there color coding lines well there color coding lines, but by the fact you said they are, means they are no longer "JUST" a text editor, are they.

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Quote:
As for checking the other apps you mention, why would I? If you say there color coding lines well there color coding lines, but by the fact you said they are, means they are no longer "JUST" a text editor, are they.

They're not? What do they become instead?

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
hey become code editors that highlight coding structures, if they were "JUST" text editors you could write your lunch list in them without any problems.

* actualy i guess that means even mirc isnt "JUST" a text editor as it well indent lines on its own

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
They're still only text editors. Syntax highlighting is a text editing feature.

O
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
O
I see so many requests on this feature, and some people on these forums are real experts in creating codes... Isn't it just possible to script a custom window, with these colour codes included?

I think it would become one of the most downloaded mirc scripts for a long, long time... And would solve the problem of getting this question over and over again :tongue:

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Dialogs don't allow colouring text in edits and custom windows do, but don't allow you to edit the text with the keyboard.

O
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
O
Weird, the options in mIRC seemed endless.
But in that case, perhaps we should all sign a petition with like thousands of mIRC users from all over the world, and give that to Khaled laugh

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You really and truley believe Khaled hasn't made this addition because he feels there's not enough interest? I'm sure there are other reasons other than the (lack there of) signatures pleading for him to make said feature.

There are several ways around this, including using IDE to reload a script that's been modified outside of mIRC. If you're still having that much trouble with syntax, maybe it's time to read the manual over or start looking up when you type? Further more, if you're looking to do something that complex, maybe move on to a DLL and then you'll have the IDE and your pretty colors.

-KingTomato
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Syntax highlighting is one of the more popular feature suggestions. I don't see any good reason for him not to add it either, especially since the script editor already uses a richedit control which is colour-capable.

Better yet, maybe he could use the scintilla editing component. This would allow for syntax highlighting, code folding (those +/-s you see next to code blocks like { }) and showing line numbers. It's free too.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Quote:
its just a text editor dude, were lucky it even indents code, try pushing the {} button for bracket checking.

It's not a text editor you dont use it to write stories in. It's soul purpose is mIRC Scripts code so why wouldn't it support syntax highlighting, linenumbers, code-folding, auto-completion, tab key indenting etcetera? Wheter or not Khaled is up for that or not these suggestions are totally legit in my point of view and i totally support them.

$maybe
D
Dharion Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
D
Quote:
Maybe if you spent less time abusing people and more time thinking about points you might come to the conclusion that mirc is here to use the scripts, not as a development platform, this has been made pretty clear over and over, I myself have asked about additions to it before none ever appear.

You feel abused by being called a smartass?
ah well ... not my problem.

Seeing these reply's i figure its still an addition thats globally wanted, so i still dont see any point in your ignorant reactions.

About mIRC not being a development platform... true ... but that doesnt remove the fact that it has grown to be exactly that.
Look at all the scripts being released for mIRC. Some even make programs out of it (me for instance), since it helps mIRC users do some things more easily, faster and best of all, in mIRC without help of outside programs.

About your additions not being added .... so? that doesnt mean someone else his suggestion is less good, or wont be implemented at all. Think you have some issues.

Guess i dont have to come on this forum for answers about mirc, or suggestions. Great that Khaled has people like you (DaveC) to support him in his work and make the forum a mess.

Thanks to everyone reacting in a normal manner, shows there are decent people here aswell. To bad there are others that dont seem to understand what a "suggestion" forum is about.

Be glad, i wont ask anything here again, since i get nothin but weird remarks when i ask something
*points at picture window transparency topic*

it seems people cant read properly....

Sorry if i offended anyone that didnt deserve it ... but im out ... this annoys me..

Peace and hope u do find the help u need here.

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
According to the guidelines we shouldn't actually debate features at all :- "If you don't agree with a suggestion or don't think its worthwhile, just bite your tongue." but it rarely happens that an idea is suggested without it being criticised. It's just something you'll have to live with unless you send feature suggestions to Khaled directly via email.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
(replying to last post)

There's another thing here - we lost TONS of posts in the fire 2 years ago (or more at this point) and a lot of good help resources were lost (threads, links etc). I blame nobody, but because of that, things have gotten suggested over and over here where they started dying out over there. Being on this board, what, 5 years now?, has shown me that some things will forever be suggested, people in genenral dont know when to bite their tongues, and last but NOT least, it has shown me that some of the things posted here DO get implemented, we jsut have ZERO control over which things get implemented smile

Have I myself offered things not put in? Yup, for sure, but I've also offered things that have made it too - once again, there is ZERO control over what gets added but sometimes debates are good for flushing out an idea more fully smile

Debate != insults smile

As a side note - I like this idea smile

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
You feel abused by being called a smartass? ah well ... not my problem.

If thats what you want to think, ill let you if it helps you feel tall, and gets ya through the night good for you. (<<< note the deliberate personal slur put in just for you)

Quote:
Seeing these reply's i figure its still an addition thats globally wanted, so i still dont see any point in your ignorant reactions.

I, as im sure alot of others have found also, consider ignorants and breaking down to curse words (of any level) to try and improve your point, about the weakest of the weak ideas.

Now onto points that make a difference, rather than a flamewar (your welcom to reply i wont again)

Quote:
About mIRC not being a development platform... true ... but that doesnt remove the fact that it has grown to be exactly that.
Look at all the scripts being released for mIRC. Some even make programs out of it (me for instance), since it helps mIRC users do some things more easily, faster and best of all, in mIRC without help of outside programs.

I think if u wanted a development enviroment to build scripts in you should just get one, there are some outthere. On what mirc is and isnt, i dont think it needs it (i wouldnt care if it had it tho). I would wonder about performance hits it would take just to pretty up the code, that no one looks at 99% of the time.

Quote:
About your blah blah blah all the way to *points at picture window transparency topic* and some more blah blah

Well all that was sure not on topic.
PS: On picture window transparency topic, since you didnt fully define what color u were making trasparent, one can easly see how this was left unclear, Did the black come from the background? did the black come from the picture, did u mean to uses pure white as the transparent color, or was it possable u inverted the values? Maybe it was just that I have never seen someone use purewhite as there transparent color, most use black.

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Quote:
I would wonder about performance hits it would take just to pretty up the code, that no one looks at 99% of the time.

It takes like a second or less to render a webpage after the html has been downloaded on a 1GHz computer, to colourise some text isn't likely to cause any slowdown on any speed PC.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
It takes like a second or less to render a webpage after the html has been downloaded on a 1GHz computer, to colourise some text isn't likely to cause any slowdown on any speed PC.

I was more refering to the process of having to colorize the text correctly, as the original example showed differing lines indented with different colors, would this just be based on the indent, or on the code blocks etc, and was also more refering to if it became a scripting engine, with colored syntax etc, the idea of delays during a code relinement due to deleting say a {
was my concern.

What really concerned me the most was that mirc currently just evaluates plain text scripts as and when it needs to , would there be a large overhead to the idea, of having to store a color incoded version as well as the plain one it actually makes the scripts run from (i would assume scripts when saved dont retain any colorizing as it would be wastefull and also invalid should the file be edited outside the colorized mirc editor). Some might say, well it wont effect it tell the files saved, but you dont have to save a edited file to get it to become active in mirc, u simply change tabs. If this is the case you would expect the editor to update the colorizaion on the fly or at least apon a tab change (maybe a new button like the { } one). Either way, whats the point of reorganizing 5000+ lines of code into new colors becuase someone just deleted a {.

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Quote:

I was more refering to the process of having to colorize the text correctly, as the original example showed differing lines indented with different colors, would this just be based on the indent, or on the code blocks etc, and was also more refering to if it became a scripting engine, with colored syntax etc, the idea of delays during a code relinement due to deleting say a {
was my concern.

I guess I completely side tracked from the original suggestion. I don't see a pressing need to highlight lines differently based on the number of { deep they are. The whole time I've been arguing for syntax highlighting in general.

Quote:

What really concerned me the most was that mirc currently just evaluates plain text scripts as and when it needs to , would there be a large overhead to the idea, of having to store a color incoded version as well as the plain one it actually makes the scripts run from (i would assume scripts when saved dont retain any colorizing as it would be wastefull and also invalid should the file be edited outside the colorized mirc editor).

IRC clients are one of the few clients that use 'colour codes' to colour text. In a richedit each piece of text has a number of 'flags' associated with it to define the style. This is all handled by windows. There's no need to use two different buffers, because the richedit doesn't return any control code crap to determine if the text is styled smile

Link Copied to Clipboard