mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#14534 08/03/03 03:27 AM
W
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
W
I'm not sure if its possible, but it would be useful to be able to create threads for doing something particular. Threading would allow downloading and doing a $crc() to be possible. Using $crc() on a large file such as an episode of anime may freeze mIRC for possibly an entire minute. All file transfers are frozen as well and will have a good chance of timing out.

#14535 09/03/03 01:29 AM
T
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
T
Hello, you can emulate that a thread when you use a timer or when you use multiple sockets(one thread for socket) at the same time.

This is just what i notice smile

#14536 10/03/03 12:33 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Have you tried getting your TV shows off of a television, rather than downloading illegal copies off the internet? That will likely solve the problem...

#14537 10/03/03 05:25 AM
W
OP Offline
W
I wrote "such as an episode of anime" as an example. crc does not apply only to that which I gave an example of. It could apply to any other file type.

Getting it from television does not solve a thing. Threading is what I want. crc is also only an example of a time expensive function that freezes the mIRC program.

#14538 10/03/03 05:27 AM
W
OP Offline
W
Would you care to explain how mIRC does this? I am certain socketing requires some variation of threads. However, I wonder if it is possible writing it in the script. If it is, I would like to know how.

#14539 12/03/03 05:03 PM
R
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
R
You could run another instance of mIRC, something like this:
Code:
;alias my_CRCtest
;runs CRC test on file in separate mIRC
;Syntax: my_CRCtest <goodCRC> <filename>
alias my_CRCtest run $+(",$mircexe,") /execute my_CRCcheck $ddename $1-
on *:start:if ($findtok($cmdline,/execute,32)) $gettok($cmdline,$calc($ifmatch + 1) $+ -,32)
alias my_CRCcheck {
  var %crc = $crc($3-)
  if (%crc != $2) dde $1 command "" /echo $colour(highlight) -a * CRC check failed for $nopath($3-) $+ !
  else run $+(",$3-,")
  exit
}

Ofcourse you should add some code to prevent errors due to more instances already running or the ddeserver being off and such.

$input(Me like stars, You too?)
#14540 12/03/03 08:18 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
I understand what CRC is (Cyclic Redundancy Check) and I understand that it can be used on anything (not just files). But my point was, you were asking for a feature and your reasoning behind it was to aid in committing a crime. But anyway, is CRC really that slow? I know it is a linear calculation, but generally the CRC is computed on individual packets rather than on the whole file. Granted it is not as effective, but it is generally faster. What I'm just saying is, how long is the delay really? And are you also aware that threading can actually be harmful on a single processor system? Using more threads than there are processors can actually make things slower sometimes, and I doubt the majority of mIRC users use MP systems.

#14541 13/03/03 11:25 PM
W
OP Offline
W
What is illegal with anime that can be downloaded? It is not illegal to distribute anime that is not licensed in the US if you don't know.

Yes, CRC checking is slow. It is especially slow when running other processes. It is slow even when not doing those other things. Running it on a 200-700 mb file can take 30 seconds to 3 minutes. It would be impossible to download/upload during that time. Why do you think I posted a request to allow threading?

Link Copied to Clipboard