mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
A
Andrew Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
A
Heard a rumour that there is no point waiting for a new mIRC cause Khaled is no longer working on it and has moved onto something else? Can we have an official comment please?

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Considering the current version of mIRC has been out for something like 6 months now and nothing has been said, it would be highly unlikely that Khaled would decide to quit now after 6 months of development on a new version, or that he quit 6 months ago and just forgot to announce it.

Take into consideration the fact that in recent posts Khaled has mentioned things like UTF-8 being 'on his todo list' and the whole thing seems much like any internet rumour: complete crap.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
A
Andrew Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I tend to agree with you. But would be interested in an 'official' response.

N
Babel fish
Babel fish
N
I've heard he's rewriting mIRC in Visual C++, maybe .NET. It may take long.

Sincerely,
Necroman, #mIRC @ Undernet
Babel fish
Babel fish
I have heard this same rumor; MY official response is that you'll probably not get an official response until Khaled finishes. He might want to avoid all of the negative responses he might get from anything he might post. Anywho, my 2 cents.

-Zmodem
V
vcv Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
V
He's already using MSVC++.. 6.0 I believe. I DOUBT he'd redo it using managed C++.. so importing it to MSVC++7.0 (.NET) would be simple..it would do it for you.

S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
He was using Borland C++. In an old post he alreardy said that he checks his code will compile on VC++, So switching to a preferred compiler would only be trivial, and not a reason for such delay in release. The reason for delay is probably that Khaled has been taking a break, enjoying life.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I heard Elvis chats in #Graceland...Um what you heard is probably a load of BS...as the others have stated, Khaled is working on the next version...just a matter of time when it comes out... This is as official as it gets unless Khaled speaks directly to you (which will probably not happen since he's busy majority of the time) But he sometimes makes the appearance online on this board or in chat.

Last edited by The_Game; 06/03/03 11:31 PM.
N
Babel fish
Babel fish
N
>> So switching to a preferred compiler would only be trivial

Apparently you haven't tried switching 150.000 lines written in Borland C++ to MSVC++, otherwise you wouldn't call it trivial.

I believe that there are 3 reasons for this delay:

1. (my interpretation) He's not only "checking" how well his code gets compiled in MSVC++, but is actually switching his development environment to MSVC++ and converting the whole codebase to MSVC++.

2. (from a trusted source) He did arrange a vacation for himself. Mountains and all that smile..

3. (just a guess) mIRC 6.x was "5.9x + multiserver + minor stuff". It is time for major changes.

Sincerely,
V
vcv Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
V
First of all, he is already able to compile it in Microsoft Visual C++.

Second, I swear that he said he had switched over not too long ago.

N
Babel fish
Babel fish
N
Before 6.0x ?

Sincerely,
V
vcv Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
V
No, after I believe.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
Apparently you haven't tried switching 150.000 lines written in Borland C++ to MSVC++, otherwise you wouldn't call it trivial.

I have, well not from borland to MSVC++, but from g++ (Linux) to MSVC++ (Windows).... took me a few weeks at most. Thats the beauty of a standardized language... It should compile under any compiler that follows the standard. I've never had any problems cross compiling between a program made inVC++ and compiled in Borland nor with the reverse. If you mean he is switching to MFC and what not, well then I say I strongly doubt Khaled is foolish enough to do something like that.

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I say just let Khaled continue in what he calls "Painting" and just wait an see what happens. But maybe thats just me...

Last edited by The_Game; 07/03/03 10:33 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard