Print Thread
#142762 19/02/06 07:21 AM
L
Lymril Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
L
How about adding a button to quickly silence all of mIRC's bells and whistles without changing settings, then easily turn them back on again. Perhaps add it to a hot-key as well, along with optional "minimize to tray" or other invisibility options. Turning off the volume on the speakers is okay, unfortunately, this silences ALL my applications, which I don't really want.

Thanks,

Lymril

#142763 19/02/06 09:08 AM
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
Whats wrong with changing the setting "Enable sounds" ?

#142764 20/02/06 12:26 AM
L
Lymril Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
L
That takes a few seconds to access and uncheck. What I was thinking was more of a "panic mode" option. Like, for when the boss shows up unexpectedly.

#142765 20/02/06 01:18 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
If you're worried about your boss finding out that you're chatting on IRC using the computer system that belongs to the business and (possibly) during business hours, then you shouldn't be using mIRC in that situation.

There have been a number of times when people have asked for ways to use IRC at work and/or school, looking for ways to get around the blocks that the workplace or school has placed, and we don't help with that.

Now, while I understand that this is not the same thing, it's still a matter of you using IRC at a location where someone else of authority might not be agreeable to you using it. (In this case, your boss).

Even if a "panic" switch was implemented, there's still going to be some delay using it.

What you could do (if it's just sounds you're worried about), is uncheck the Sounds option and leave it unchecked.

#142766 20/02/06 01:21 AM
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
If you are worried about getting caught by your boss, why not just leave the sounds disabled? Sounds aren't essential to chatting on IRC.

I do agree with the suggestion though. There could be an option to disable certain features (including sounds/flashing/etc) when mIRC is minimized. Perhaps with the option to choose when the features will be disabled (visible, minimized normally, minimized to tray, etc). Personally, I don't use sounds anyway, but it sounds like a useful (and easy to implement) feature.

-genius_at_work

#142767 20/02/06 06:39 PM
L
Lymril Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
L
Actually, the boss showing up was a quick (and lousy) example. I don't have Internet access at work and I'm old enough to do whatever I want online. The problem is that, due to poor vision, I use a lot of sounds with all of my applications, including mIRC. I consider my private conversations private and I always minimize mIRC whenever someone comes around. Unfortunately, nothing excites a curious mind like a stream of sounds from an unknown source and nothing annoys me more than a busybody that doesn't know when to stop asking questions.

Lymril

#142768 20/02/06 06:56 PM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Actually i would say what excites a curious mind even more , is the person who suddenly minimizes an application when that person walks by.

#142769 20/02/06 11:31 PM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Have you considered a set of earbud headphones? If you have sound, then you have to have a sound card and speakers. If the speakers have a headphone jack, just plug in the headphones, if they don't then unplug the speakers from the sound card and plug the headphones in.

Link Copied to Clipboard